• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Daily Pivot System Materials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discussed this a little before, but the topic got sidetracked. I'd like to discuss this a bit more without that distraction, so I started a new topic to cover this again.

What Pivot System materials do you practice daily or almost daily?

After taking a video lesson from Dave Sheetz, I've found the following suggestions from Dave to be very helpful, in this order:

1. Pivot Stabilizer
2. Track Routine (staccato 1st, legato on same breath second, starting on the top pitch - for me)
3. The Inner Embouchure Legs Retention Routine (Dave, you never exactly addressed my issue with the low B flat double buzzing on the pedal, but these exercises seem to have cured this problem for me. I think this one, more than any of the others, has done the most good with that problem. Thanks!)
4. Essential Daily Legato Pratice (a drill to help me as a trombone player with my legato - I've also found it helpful in adopting a Type 5 tongue for slurring and sustaining).
5. Gizzando High Register Routine for Trombone (This one was a bit strenuous for me at first, so I eliminated it for a couple of weeks. When I decided to come back to it I was very careful to stop at any point that I started to strain, no matter how early in the routine it was. It has helped me to keep from digging into my upper lip in the high register, as well as plain old good compression work).

I've found that after a good break from the above that doing the Warm Up 57 later makes me good for the rest of the day's playing.

I've also worked my way through the Pivot Manual for Trombone daily before, but have been doing the above instead lately. The Manual was great for my playing as well, but Dave Sheetz's personalized suggestions really got to the heart of my playing difficulties. Thanks again, Dave!

What are you working on?

Dave W.
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a video lesson with Dave Sheetz. This is routine he has me on.

1. Downsized version of the Spiderweb Warmup. (I can do the full one if I feel up to it and have the time)
2. The Pivot Stabilizer
3. Buzzing and Trio of Daily Calisthenics.
4. The Even Blowing Drill
5. The Chromatic Fourth Range Extension
6. "Articulations in Lead Register" - not sure if this is Dr. Reinhardt's drill??
7. Opt. (for later) Advanced Form Studies
8. Opt. Daily Finger Dexterity Drills
9. Isometrics before retiring (air-to-nose, air-to-chin, and normal-to-frown exercises)

Slowly but surely I am making progress.

- Brendan

[ This Message was edited by: DSR on 2003-07-21 00:10 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Puffy Cheek Routine
2. Pivot Stabilizer
3. Some compression work
4. I hit all the tonguing
5. Some lead stuff & piccolo trumpet stuff
6. Interval studies
7. I am REALLY trying to get my jazz thing together. After I got to play with Rich he became quite the inspiration for me not to mention Chris's clips on the Warburton site (Yowza!!!) and I listen to the usual suspects (Miles, Dizzy, Blue, etc...) as well as Aebersold.

I actually try to stick with Doc's 7 day professional routine to keep things fairly varied and interesting through the week. It really works for me.

please note the variations in practice studies and approaches. Everybody has different needs and requirements.

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-07-22 12:10 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: