• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rick Braun's New Horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Rick Braun's New Horns Reply with quote

TH Friends,

Looks like Rick Braun switched from...

Getzen's Large Bore Flugelhorn & Getzen's Genesis Trumpet

to

Marcinkiewicz's newly designed Rembrandt Model Flugelhorn & Trumpet (both featuring Shepards Crooks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGYQSvHZeww

This means that I will no longer play and sound exactly like Rick Braun on my Trumpet anymore, so...does anyone want to buy my worthless Getzen Genesis...NOT!!!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rick Braun's New Horns Reply with quote

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
... This means that I will no longer play and sound exactly like Rick Braun on my Trumpet anymore, so...does anyone want to buy my worthless Getzen Genesis...NOT!!!

No, Dan, THIS means that Rick will no longer sound like DAN O'DONNELL! Let's keep things in their proper perspective, shall we?

The Genesis is gorgeous, as are Getzen's Artist and Custom models. Do you also own Getzen's 3895 flugelhorn? I'd love to play one one day with its .420 bore!

BTW, Rick sounds great.
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rick Braun's New Horns Reply with quote

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
TH Friends,

Looks like Rick Braun switched from...

Getzen's Large Bore Flugelhorn & Getzen's Genesis Trumpet

to

Marcinkiewicz's newly designed Rembrandt Model Flugelhorn & Trumpet (both featuring Shepards Crooks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGYQSvHZeww

This means that I will no longer play and sound exactly like Rick Braun on my Trumpet anymore, so...does anyone want to buy my worthless Getzen Genesis...NOT!!!

I had known for a couple of months, that Rick had switched flugels but didn't realize, that he switched trumpets too. Just basically, a return to the original make of horns, that he was playing on, back on his earlier recordings. He has always stayed with Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces.

His tone, in my opinion, is slightly different on his new recording but still sounds great. This move on his part, doesn't diminish the fact, that the Genesis trumpet or Getzen in general, are excellent playing horns!

Those players, including myself, who have had the oppurtunity to play on Marcinkiewicz instruments though, can tell you, that they too are amazing playing instruments!

Archie
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.... we are always told it comes down to the player... Well he is still great but I much prefer him on the Getzen! There are lots of variables when it comes to recorded sound but I did some A/B and there seems to be a brightness to his sound that moves his sound more mainstream. Keep the Getzen Dan... Rick will change back.....

Walter
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruin,

I can only assume that even though Rick no longer sounds like me, he will probably continue to record and tour...

I don't have Getzen's new small bore Flugehorn, I have Kanstul's 925 with a Copper Bell, however, I heard they are great horns!

As for my Getzen Genesis...I guess I'll just have to throw it against a wall in an attempt to make a Shepards Crook on it so I can have the best of both worlds!

yodafan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Getzen sound better.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

Saturday, I saw Rick play live with the Dave Koz Christmas Concert.

He played on his new Trumpet & Flugelhorn while using what looked to be his regular Pro-Line Concert Hall Marcinkiewicz MPs on both of them.

His new Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Flugelhorn (with a Shepard Crook) sounded better than the sound he got on Getzen's older larger bore Flugelhorn.

The sound had a more solid core, more complex color of overtones and more presence or substance.

As for his new Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Trumpet (it too has a Shepards Crook) he had a MUCH brighter sound (even with his standard Reverb etc.) than he got with his Getzen Genesis...even to the point of having a somewhat "controlled edge" to his sound

It was obviously noticeable as he took phrases up an octave an hit killer high "stingers" which as you Rick fans know is not his normal approach on his Trumpet.

He was peeling paint off the back wall with his higher than usual notes!

Even when he "backed off", he still had a brighter sound.

The most amazing thing for me was when I rushed home and listened to a track on his CD where he played his Getzen Genesis and a Harmon style mute. That evening's performance EVEN using a mute was also much brighter.

My personal taste is that I liked his sound on the Getzen Genesis more than his new horn (in all honesty, I am not biased because I own one) however, since he has such a sweet, warm, dark, rich sound on his Flugelhorn, he may have intentionally wanted to created a bigger "sound gap" between his Trumpet & Flugelhorn by brightening up the sound of his Trumpet.

Either way, he played his heart out especially when he played a heart felt solo (with David Benoit on Piano) as he played his famous song that was written for his Daughter who was a premature birth while pictures of him and her together were shown behind him on a large screen.

I can only guess there wasn't a dry eye in the house...mine and my Wife's included!

This year, I also took my Sister who is in the process of recovering from Cancer and she told me..."That brought chills and tears to eyes...It was so loving and and beautiful."

For those Rick Fans that have never seen him play in his Smooth Christmas Concerts, it's a "MUST see"!

Last year he toured with Peter White's Smooth Christmas Concert and it too was amazing!

Merry CHRISTmas to all of my TH Friends!!!

TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Marcinkiewicz Horns Reply with quote

That was a great description of Marcinkiewicz trumpets. They have an incredible brilliance in their sound due to the full overtone series. This makes the horns extremely versatile no matter what bell size you choose.

I played a Marcinkiewicz pocket trumpet which ranged from an almost cornet-like darkness to a massive screaming broad lead sound just by switching Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces.

You can do that with any of their trumpets. It's just a matter of the exact timbre and blow you are looking for when choosing a Rembrandt model. The bells ranging from bright to dark are the Custom, 3, 3X, 4, & 4X.

My buddy's range jumped a 5th immediately when he switched from a Yamaha Miyashiro with a Monette B5L to a Marcinkiewicz 3.7 (3 bell, 7 leadpipe) with a Marcinkiewicz E9.6... to G's above double C.

They are amazing high-end horns, well worth the price. Plus they come with a warranty from Marcinkiewicz! Wanna tweak the blow? They do it free.

Check them out at www.TheTrumpetShop.com and feel free to say hi!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: