• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How mad should i be?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How mad?
Forgiving
70%
 70%  [ 22 ]
Not so forgiving
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
He owes me repairs plus extra
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
No forgiveness
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: How mad should i be? Reply with quote

zackh411 wrote:
Trumanjazzguy just put a dent in the bell of my pristine stomvi Vr2... How upset should i be?

Most are upset about a dent...I suspect you are not mad at Trumanjazzguy at all and are just checking that you are normal..?

Hopefully it is an easy dent to repair....

Walter
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
david mickley wrote:
if he pays to fix your horn, forgive him. life is to short to hold a grudge.

This.

**** happens. An expert makes the **** unhappen. I'm with the other guys, you must be really mad right now. Calm the frak down.

No one can tell you how to feel, and I wouldn't pretend to. By all means rage... in private. It's your privilege. Let the man pay for his mistake and call it done.

Tom

Agreed, 100%.

If the guy is being an a** about it, and refusing to cover repair costs, well, I would certainly remove him from my Christmas card list, but beyond that, staying p***** about it only makes YOU miserable.

And while many of us can empathize with your feelings, try to keep things in perspective. A dent should be completely fixable, and VERY few of us play on a level where we could possibly notice any difference in how the horns plays after it's fixed, if there IS any difference.

Brad361
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago, I let a friend take my Bach to a gig. He was late showing up to return it to me on Monday, and he told me that it was because he had just taken it to the shop. A speaker had fallen on it, and creased the bell. I was furious, but he said it was in the best hands in the business, Bob Osmun of Osmun Brass in Cushing Square, and of course he paid for the repair.

The horn came back in great condition, and I haven't taken any trumpet to any other shop since then (now they're called Osmun Music, in a different location, and Jim Becker is their master technician). So I got something out of the incident, and we're stll friends more than thirty years later.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
You'll live. You are asking for advice on human interaction? Make your own judgement.

Pete

This.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: How mad should i be? Reply with quote

zackh411 wrote:
Trumanjazzguy just put a dent in the bell of my pristine stomvi Vr2... How upset should i be?

You ought to just finish the job, man. Take your horn and smash it into walls, throw it through several glass doors, stomp on it with your heavy boots, behead it and drag it behind your Jeep through the streets of Mogadishu for all to see, and when you're all done, you will have definitely shown him!

That's what I'd do.

ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: How mad should i be? Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
zackh411 wrote:

You ought to just finish the job, man. Take your horn and smash it into walls, throw it through several glass doors, stomp on it with your heavy boots, behead it and drag it behind your Jeep through the streets of Mogadishu for all to see, and when you're all done, you will have definitely shown him!

That's what I'd do.

Now that is funny.

That being said my section leader in my band just dropped my Kanstul 1001 on the 1st valve slide and took it to be repaired. Works great again although there is evidence of the impact on the outside of the slide still.

My line was shocked how well I handled it. But the ol' axe still screams.

Gave him the guilt trip and all is done.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the choices are shoot him in the face or set him on fire.......

I sense a certain tongue in cheekiness to the question, dents happen as part of having equipment out and about with mic cables, large heavy speakers and other folks moving in and around.

I've dodged a bullet a few times, had my stand get blown over during an outdoor gig which fell between my flugel and trumpet. Neither were touched. The next week at rehearsal a pulled mic cable toppled the same stand within millimeters of the trombone player's recently acquired 1969 50H. He and I both had a fit, had flashlights out and checking the bell for any damage. It took two trips to the bar before either one of us calmed down....
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Wait for him to put his horn on the stand, then wipe a little tobasco on the mpc.

LOL nice. This gives me ideas.

Pete wrote:
You'll live. You are asking for advice on human interaction? Make your own judgement.

Pete

No, I'm not asking for advice. I guess the internet is a little to subtle to convey the humor here.

BeboppinFool wrote:

That's what I'd do.

LOL. This is the type of response I was hoping to get.

plp wrote:
Well, the choices are shoot him in the face or set him on fire.......

I sense a certain tongue in cheekiness to the question...

Indeed there was a certain "tongue in cheekiness." All the super-serious responses were kind of surprising. I hope nobody got the wrong impression of my friend. He looked more shocked than I did, and the first thing he said was that he'd pay for it. I shall continue to give him a hard time about it, however. I was hoping he would see the thread too and get a kick out of it.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did ya dent his horn back?
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Did ya dent his horn back?

He actually offered. I declined lol.

Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidents happen and yes it would great if the friend stepped up and fixed his problem. That said what is a friendship worth? I once went into business with friend and things went sideways. I left that business and still had my shirt but I decided right then and their I was not going to let money and friendship get in each others way. I learned a lesson that is priceless. I worked with my friend on other jobs with other companies each of us looking out for the other and tossing work each others direction, I worked for him on contractual basis but I never partnered with him in a business again and have never done so with any other friends or family. I have never let money or things or damages get in the way of any serious relationship either. One less then ideal business deal with a friend showed me what I valued most and what was of little value. No one can decide what way you will go or should go. Only you can decide what is important to you and what things are worth. I have no use for "fair weather friends" on the other hand a really solid friendship is not something I toss away easily!!!! So I would give it some thought before you did anything rash.

Nothing wrong with anger if it runs it's course and you get a handle on it and put it away in due time. If you let it run away with you though no good will come from it. So I recommend getting through it sooner rather then latter. I let something fester for 13 years before I really dealt with it and it took two years for me to really let it go. That was a stupid and ridiculous time for me. I did not not hurt anyone but it was like carrying venom around inside me or like having a heavy weight upon me. Not that this situation is that extreme mind you but in the end it is all the same the sooner you work through it and let it go the sooner you will be at your best again.

Let us dispense with "mad" and settle for anger or upset!!! Lets leave mad for wild animals and such.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
Accidents happen and yes it would great if the friend stepped up and fixed his problem. That said what is a friendship worth? I once went into business with friend and things went sideways. I left that business and still had my shirt but I decided right then and their I was not going to let money and friendship get in each others way. I learned a lesson that is priceless. I worked with my friend on other jobs with other companies each of us looking out for the other and tossing work each others direction, I worked for him on contractual basis but I never partnered with him in a business again and have never done so with any other friends or family. I have never let money or things or damages get in the way of any serious relationship either. One less then ideal business deal with a friend showed me what I valued most and what was of little value. No one can decide what way you will go or should go. Only you can decide what is important to you and what things are worth. I have no use for "fair weather friends" on the other hand a really solid friendship is not something I toss away easily!!!! So I would give it some thought before you did anything rash.

Nothing wrong with anger if it runs it's course and you get a handle on it and put it away in due time. If you let it run away with you though no good will come from it. So I recommend getting through it sooner rather then latter. I let something fester for 13 years before I really dealt with it and it took two years for me to really let it go. That was a stupid and ridiculous time for me. I did not not hurt anyone but it was like carrying venom around inside me or like having a heavy weight upon me. Not that this situation is that extreme mind you but in the end it is all the same the sooner you work through it and let it go the sooner you will be at your best again.

Let us dispense with "mad" and settle for anger or upset!!! Lets leave mad for wild animals and such.

Am I to assume that you also didn't actually read the thread? Why so serious, internet? Like I said before, we're cool.

Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I read it as usually. I would say it is another case of misunderstanding a person with out inflection or body language.

I could not tell if it was serious or light hearted fun and I was not the only one. Some people took it seriously some did not. I did not know which bunch to side with to be sure the serious one or the ones that seemed to make light of it. I have seen entire families turn into vultures over less.

In fact entire feuds have been fought over things not much more serious then this. Not long ago we had to have federal government get involved in Hatfields vs Mecoys(sp). If I recall right it was not that major of an issue that lead to a lot of dead people.

The "Mad" part really concerned me. When I was kid I was taught that humans do not get "mad" we get angry and that madness was for animals and the mentally insane. So I was seriously concerned for you since "mad" is such a strong very polarizing word!
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I read it as usually. I would say it is another case of misunderstanding a person with out inflection or body language.

I could not tell if it was serious or light hearted fun and I was not the only one. Some people took it seriously some did not. I did not know which bunch to side with to be sure the serious one or the ones that seemed to make light of it. I have seen entire families turn into vultures over less.

In fact entire feuds have been fought over things not much more serious then this. Not long ago we had to have federal government get involved in Hatfields vs Mecoys(sp). If I recall right it was not that major of an issue that lead to a lot of dead people.

The "Mad" part really concerned me. When I was kid I was taught that humans do not get "mad" we get angry and that madness was for animals and the mentally insane. So I was seriously concerned for you since "mad" is such a strong very polarizing word!
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fun trick - pour a water bell down his horn while its on a stand. No damage to the player or horn, and a very interesting first note
(On a side note, trombone players are awful )
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

If you had read the OP's post five hours before your's you would have seen:
1. The post was tongue in cheek.
2. The friend offered immediately to pay for the damage.
3. The OP hoped his friend would see and appreciate the thread.

zackh411 wrote:
Indeed there was a certain "tongue in cheekiness." All the super-serious responses were kind of surprising. I hope nobody got the wrong impression of my friend. He looked more shocked than I did, and the first thing he said was that he'd pay for it. I shall continue to give him a hard time about it, however. I was hoping he would see the thread too and get a kick out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: