• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! I think I was scammed!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

After watching the YouTube clip.....cool girl?

I dunno, certainly an "interesting" girl.

If my daughter ends up on YouTube lying around in her sweats with a mohawk haircut talking about the fine points of her Bach trumpet--and then demonstrating a musical style which involves wiggling your fingers and blatting that sounds like an 8th grader warming up, I believe I'd be planning an intervention.

I'm only 19, but I share your sentiments exactly.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Mnc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully support markp's feelings and I agree with the political correctness
statement as well. As a parent myself, ( two sons), and one of my good friends in community band with a 14 year old daughter, a parent has
every good reason to worry about their children in today's convoluted,
no-value, no-morals world they are growing up in.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

- Attributed to Socrates by Plato

There's always a large segment of the population that thinks the sky is falling, but it never does.
TheLawTalkingGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm missing something in the OP's responses, but have we confirmed he was actually dealing with "the" Jaime Branch? If it's someone else pretending......

But the credit card company should be able to reverse the charges if nothing arrives, whoever the seller was.

The purpose of all music is "the glory of God and the re-creation of the human spirit." (J.S. Bach)

(Flag Graphics Courtesy of 3DFlags.com)
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't judge a book by it's cover.........

The young woman in the vid is articulate and has clear ideas of what she wants to try to achieve. She is not some disaffected snivelling layabout with a grievance against society. Just because she looks different is no reason to doubt her,...anyway it looks like 'packaging' to me, not slovenly "sweats" and just the 'skin' of someone trying to make her way in an artistic pursuit.

Modern youngsters have a grim wcket to play, so just remember that they struggle in a world that WE made for them. My experience of them is that quite a lot of them are magnificent human beings grappling with a bitter world.......

...........Also, I will be VERY surprised if she is a 'scammer'....
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look guys, this is a public internet forum that hundreds of trumpet players read daily. There is a very good chance that Jaimie checks TH or has friends that do. How would you feel if you did nothing wrong, then came to find out that some impatient person was accusing you of being a scammer and people were making fun of you and judging your character because you had a certain hair-cut or dressed a certain way. And let me say again that she has done NOTHING WRONG to deserve being publicly slandered and made fun of. It is just not fair to Jaimie, so please out of respect for her...

EDIT: Thank you Bob
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree wholeheartedly!
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say also to cut Robson some slack here, too. He is from Sao Paulo and, from what I've read in other posts, he is still pretty new at buying horns online. He panicked unnecessarily, it seems. Buying and selling online requires an iron stomach sometimes. I haven't made any Craigslist purchases -- they require more faith than I have for an out-of-town purchase. Robson is making an out-of-country purchase.

And Robson wasn't trying to cause her problems in a pubic forum. He was simply turning to TH - his trumpeting friends - for advice. He should have been a little more circumspect in how he asked for that advice, I'll agree.

This seems like a false alarm to me and we should all just return to our regularly scheduled programming.

-- Joe
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
I would say also to cut Robson some slack here, too. He is from Sao Paulo and, from what I've read in other posts, he is still pretty new at buying horns online. He panicked unnecessarily, it seems. Buying and selling online requires an iron stomach sometimes. I haven't made any Craigslist purchases -- they require more faith than I have for an out-of-town purchase. Robson is making an out-of-country purchase.

And Robson wasn't trying to cause her problems in a pubic forum. He was simply turning to TH - his trumpeting friends - for advice. He should have been a little more circumspect in how he asked for that advice, I'll agree.

This seems like a false alarm to me and we should all just return to our regularly scheduled programming.

-- Joe

True, I was a bit harsh on Robson, I apologize. I don't think he meant any harm.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holeypants wrote:
"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

There's always a large segment of the population that thinks the sky is falling, but it never does.

Socrates: Classical Greek philosopher, lived from c. 469 BC to 399 BC.
Plato: Classical Greek philosopher, lived from 428/427 BC to 348/347 BC.
Classical Greece: period in the history of Ancient Greece ending with the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC.
Ancient Greece: civilization that ended in 146 BC with the Roman conquest.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone trash talking her apperance needs to go get a degree from NEC, study with Chucky Schleuter, then you can make judgements. Otherwise, shut your mouth.

This website is designed to aid other trumpet players with help and advice, not to bring them down because they don't do things the way you make your daughters do things.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
holeypants wrote:

Socrates: Classical Greek philosopher, lived from c. 469 BC to 399 BC.
Plato: Classical Greek philosopher, lived from 428/427 BC to 348/347 BC.
Classical Greece: period in the history of Ancient Greece ending with the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC.
Ancient Greece: civilization that ended in 146 BC with the Roman conquest.

That . . . that's my point - that society thinking its young people are too wild is nothing new.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Everyone trash talking her apperance needs to go get a degree from NEC, study with Chucky Schleuter, then you can make judgements. Otherwise, shut your mouth.

This website is designed to aid other trumpet players with help and advice, not to bring them down because they don't do things the way you make your daughters do things.

Flawless victory.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

The appearance was just icing on the cake, Cartoon Boy. The clownish music was far more embarrassing than the clownish clothes and hair.

And the fact that she studied real music with real teachers makes the noise she's blowing on these clips even more laughable.

Do you go brown-nosing around every poser who comes out of a fancy school, or just this one?

Grab a copy of "The Emperor's New Clothes." Ever heard of it? It's taught at all the BEST SCHOOLS. Then come back and tell me to shut my mouth. (Not that it will have any effect whatsoever upon me expressing my opinion.)

I suggest that you just relax and enjoy the diversity, Scorpion. rather than trying to be a swaggering, junior-cadet member of the Thought Police.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

The appearance was just icing on the cake, Cartoon Boy. The clownish music was far more embarrassing than the clownish clothes and hair.

And the fact that she studied real music with real teachers makes the noise she's blowing on these clips even more laughable.

Do you go brown-nosing around every poser who comes out of a fancy school, or just this one?

Grab a copy of "The Emperor's New Clothes." Ever heard of it? It's taught at all the BEST SCHOOLS. Then come back and tell me to shut my mouth. (Not that it will have any effect whatsoever upon me expressing my opinion.)

I suggest that you just relax and enjoy the diversity, Scorpion. rather than trying to be a swaggering, junior-cadet member of the Thought Police.

Wow. Mark, the fact that you're closed-minded about music and fashion doesn't make Ms. Branch's music any less valid. I admit, I don't care for that clip either, but that doesn't mean her music is worthless.

I can't stand John Zorn's music (in fact, I don't understand now anyone could), but the fact that Dave Douglas thinks he's worth working with makes me think that maybe there's something there that I'm just not hearing.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't make everyone's opinion well-informed.

Last edited by holeypants on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

FATALITY!

haha!
Ok, back to the thread.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

...did you really just say that? Have you read your previous posts? At least you don't need any help to look that dumb.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holeypants wrote:
markp wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Wow. Mark, the fact that you're closed-minded about music and fashion doesn't make Ms. Branch's music any less valid. I admit, I don't care for that clip either, but that doesn't mean her music is worthless.

I can't stand John Zorn's music (in fact, I don't understand now anyone could), but the fact that Dave Douglas thinks he's worth working with makes me think that maybe there's something there that I'm just not hearing.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't make everyone's opinion well-informed.

Sigh.

Okay, look fellas--I don't mean to be a meany here, but just view the damn clip......

Ever hear of a show called "American Idol?" I think I actually watched it ONCE. But the whole damn thing is built around lame-assed musical performances and people who tell the truth about them.

Why does this Simon guy get a multi-million dollar contract for doing it, and I get treated like a puppy-killer?

Even if Charles Schluter himself mutilated his hair and started farting in his horn, I'd laugh. Wouldn't you?
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigtrumpet wrote:
cjl wrote:

-- Joe

True, I was a bit harsh on Robson, I apologize. I don't think he meant any harm.

I'm 100% sure that the real Jaimie Branch would never do this kind of thing, but I'm not 100% convinced that I'm dealing with the real Jaimie Branch. It could be just someone pretending to be her, right?

Thank you Joe. You are correct, I'm not trying to cause any problem to her. I'm just afraid. Like I said it's very first time I buy something from an individual. I'm in another country what make things even worst.

You guys that know her family. Did she have a York & Sons cornet from the turn of the century?

I'm very sorry if someone was offended by my posts. I'm not trying to cause any problem to anybody, I'm just very anxious and inexperienced

I'll give feedback's about my problem.

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
TheLawTalkingGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
I'm 100% sure that the real Jaimie Branch would never do this kind of thing, but I'm not 100% convinced that I'm dealing with the real Jaimie Branch. It could be just someone pretending to be her, right?

This was exactly my point - it really doesn't matter a damn whether the real Jaimie Branch is nice or not, or whatever - if Robson here wasn't dealing with the "real" Jaimie Branch.

Robson wrote:
I'm very sorry if someone was offended by my posts. I'm not trying to cause any problem to anybody, I'm just very anxious and inexperienced....

Nothing to apologize for, as far as I'm concerned. You asked for help on a forum filled with knowledgeable people, and received mostly responses which divided between "She's not a scammer" to "she might be a scammer" etc., without apparently considering that you might be dealing with an impostor.

The purpose of all music is "the glory of God and the re-creation of the human spirit." (J.S. Bach)

(Flag Graphics Courtesy of 3DFlags.com)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: