• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Personal web sites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does have a point with that one.

I love how you guys have perverted a simple question to an all out brawl.

I don't believe tapstrumpeter is a dishonest man. in fact in every post he has remained polite and courteous. He just chooses to have people pay for funeral taps. some people do. some people don't.

I personally can't bring myself to a funeral, not even to honor a veteran.

The buglers across america thing is pretty dirty, but if you look, alot of people have gotten dirt on them to get money.

My point here is: Drama is for daytime TV, not an educational forum.

Thank you.
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenboy3 wrote:

I don't believe tapstrumpeter is a dishonest man. in fact in every post he has remained polite and courteous. He just chooses to have people pay for funeral taps. some people do. some people don't.

The buglers across america thing is pretty dirty, but if you look, alot of people have gotten dirt on them to get money.

Thank you.

Although I at first criticized this guy for getting paid to play taps, I really don't care to argue about that issue anymore, because there's always going to be someone willing to provide a service for a fee, no matter how distasteful. The problem comes with him criticizing the volunteer work of others and his apparently deliberate use of an apparently infringing mark. I am sorry if you think this debate is "perverted" and without educational value, but if it makes someone else stop and think before they act similar to how this guy has acted, then the educational value is self-evident.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for your "analysis" however what you don't acknowledge is that TapsTrumpeter owns many domains including Bugles Across America. Your understanding of meta tags is rather naive. It appears that your comments stem from either jealousy or ignorance if not both.

Mark, you are correct. I do not know how many domains you own. Thanks for bringing that up though– it actually reinforces my main point.

I’m not even arguing the LEGAL argument. I am talking about ETHICS

Bugles Across America is a well established organization and it doesn’t have anything to do with you, regardless of how many similar domains you own, or your efforts using metatags to steer internet traffic to your opposing site from the real deal.

For some reason you keep bringing it back to getting money for services. This is NOT what my argument is about, Mark.

---------------------------
There is a man in Nebraska that has a page on his website that reflects my position on this.
http://www.thatskool.net/Funerals.html
extromba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark:

I'm interested to know what your knowledge is of case law on the issue of metatags involving others' trademarks? You appear to have all of the answers with respect to trademark law, so I’m just wondering if you'd like to give us all your legal argument defending the fact that metatags on your website incorporate others' trademarks, namely Bugles Across America. While you're at it, maye you can make one mroe attempt to explain away your use of the trademark BUGLES ACROSS AMERICA in your domain name registration and on your Taps Trumpeter web site.

For those of you not aware of what metatags are, they are basically key words that a web site owner picks to help search engines find their web site. For example, TH.com might have words like trumpet, brass, cornet, etc.

Here's what our dear friend Mark embedded in his web site (this is a direct quote from the source code on his site):

TITLE>THE TAPS TRUMPETER</TITLE>
<meta name="keywords" content="Taps, BuglesAcrossAmerica, Bugles Across America, TapsTrumpet, Taps trumpet, taps trumpeter, veteran, veterans, vets, music, musical services, taps bugle, taps bugler, bugles across america,
buglesacrossamerica, official taps trumpeter, professional, Alabama, AL, Alaska, AK, Arizona, AZ, Connecticut, CT, Delaware, DE, DC, D.C. ,
Vermont, VT, Maine, ME, Rhode Island, RI, R.I., Massachusetts, MA, MASS, New Hampshire, NH, N.H., New York, NY, N.Y., Pennsylvania, PA, Penn,
Virginia, VA, WV, West Virginia, FL, Florida, GA, Georgia, SC, S.C., South Carolina, NC, N.C., North Carolina, Oregon, OR, California, CA, Washington, WA, Idaho, ID, Maryland, MD,
North Dakota, ND, N.D., South Dakota, SD, S.D., Nebraska, NE, Hawaii, HI, NM, New Mexico, Texas, TX, Missouri, MO, Kansas, KS, Wisconsin, WI, Illinois, IL., Minnesota, MN,
Iowa, IA, Utah, UT, Colorado, CO, Montana, MT, New Jersey, NJ, N.J., OK, Oklahoma, Wyoming, WY,
Wisconsin, WI, Nevada, NV, Mississippi, MS, Lousiana, LA, Ohio, OH, Indiana, IN, Kentucky, KT, Tennessee, TN, Michigan, MI, Boston, Worcester, >">
<meta name="description" content="The Taps Trumpeter provides professional music services to veterans and their families
throughout the USA .">

Since Mark isn’t listening to me anymore, I'll direct my comments to the other viewers. The state of the law on metatags in trademarks cases is extremely well settled. The general consensus of all circuits in the US is that use of metatags involving third party trademarks in web site code to misdirect web users is prima facie evidence of trademark infringement.

Leaving aside the issue of payment for services (which as I unequivocally stated in an earlier message, is not my gripe with Mark) how do we all feel about what Mark is doing, now that you know about the metatags on his web site?
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: This is what it's about.... Reply with quote

A young man wanting to give back

...."I enjoy it, I want to give back to the vets. They fought for us, that's why we're free. It's the least I can do."-Austin Keenan

http://www.chicoer.com/lifestyle/ci_6603313

Play the slide show too!

This is what volunteering is all about. Giving something back. Not wanting to get paid, but performing a service that is meaningful and respectful. Bravo to you First Class Scout Austin Keenan!!

Jari Villanueva
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

goldenboy3 wrote:

Thank you.

Some good points here as well as some honest misunderstanding. The opponents of the pay per service are largely motivated by either jealousy and/or ignorance of the function of TapsTrumpeter site. TapsTrumpeter provides jobs and work to Buglers/Trumpeters serving veterans and their families and rewards them with compensation for their worthwhile and valuable service. Those who understand this already but continue to foment controversy have an agenda to ignore facts and distort reality for other ends.

What many volunteer buglers/trumpeters still have not yet figured out is that they are being used as mules by Tom Day's corporation. Really? Well look for yourself. All the revenue that comes into the corporate site is being retained by a select few people and is not being shared with those who actually DO the work of performing for our veterans. Why? They are hoping you won't notice or ask tough questions or demand transparency.

What revenue?
*Advertising revenue.
*Merchandise sales.
*Donations from Veterans families
*Honoraiums from families and other organizations
*Endowments

Isn't it interesting that the money handlers make the money disappear while the buglers are sent around to play for free? Should those who do the work to make an organization function be short-changed from the incoming revenue stream?

Don't believe me? Then look for yourself. Members of Tom Day's site have a right to see where all that money is actually going. Request your copy of the tax return including salaries/royalties/bonuses. Make sure to ask for the REAL return not the PR statement.

Some one has to stand up and do the right thing by musicians so they are not unfairly taken advantage of. There will always be the underminers and cost cutters here whose goal is to get something for nothing. My thanks to all those who have courage and stand up for Buglers/Trumpeters and continue the Good Fight even if it is a David vs. Goliath struggle.

TapsTrumpeter believes that fairness is important and those who work and provide services for veterans should be compensated-just like all other funeral service providers are compensated.

Those Buglers/Trumpeters who have a good attitude, and a willingness to serve our Veterans are welcome to send an inquiry to WebMaster@TapsTumpeter.com There is still plenty of room left for those who want to serve our veterans and be rewarded fairly for their service.

extromba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fairness"...you have the audacity to use the word fairness when you are engaging in activity to purposefully misdirect people away from the BAA web site to yours. That takes some real chutzbah.

Whatever your gripe is with BAA, that doesn't excuse your acts of infringement and unfair competition.

Last edited by extromba on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Response Reply with quote

TapsTrumpeter wrote:

>>>>The opponents . are largely motivated by either jealousy and/or ignorance of the function of TapsTrumpeter site. <<<

You continue to avoid the real questions with this same response.

There's no jealousy here.
I see what your function is. I don't agree with you. You certainly have a right to your opinion. I'm opposed to the marketing approach you've taken.
weeweetpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of the time I went on "The Price is Right". My name was called and I was so excited that I accidentally tripped down the stairs on my way down! How embarrassing! My mom bought that tape and STILL makes fun of me to this day. Ugh.
But, that's not the point. I was bidding on a set of golf clubs, really nice Callaways. So the guys before me all bid 2500, 2300, and 2501. For golf clubs! So I bid one dollar. That was just good business sense, don't you think??
So I won! After kissing Bob on the cheek like I've always wanted to do, I won a Geo Metro in the next round, and made it to the showcase showdown. Then, I won that too, with a boat and big screen TV and motor home! And afterward I really hit it off with one of Barker's Beauties and now we have 3 kids! Life really throws you curve balls, sometimes.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeweetpt wrote:
This thread reminds me of the time I went on "The Price is Right". My name was called and I was so excited that I accidentally tripped down the stairs on my way down! How embarrassing! My mom bought that tape and STILL makes fun of me to this day. Ugh.
But, that's not the point. I was bidding on a set of golf clubs, really nice Callaways. So the guys before me all bid 2500, 2300, and 2501. For golf clubs! So I bid one dollar. That was just good business sense, don't you think??
So I won! After kissing Bob on the cheek like I've always wanted to do, I won a Geo Metro in the next round, and made it to the showcase showdown. Then, I won that too, with a boat and big screen TV and motor home! And afterward I really hit it off with one of Barker's Beauties and now we have 3 kids! Life really throws you curve balls, sometimes.

weeweetpt is my new hero.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeweetpt wrote:

...annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd just HOW does this thread remind you of that interesting bit of personal history???

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
extromba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone forgot to take their Lithium this morning...
weeweetpt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba wrote:
Someone forgot to take their Lithium this morning...

No, I didn't forgot to take my Lithium, I indeed did, and my Zorbitol, Propranolol, Inderol, Beta Blockers, and All the rest of my "lol"s I defintaly get nervous posting on this site with all of this tension on here.

My point was, that when I was on the price is right, I bid underneath my competition, thus enabling my bid to win, precisely what good business sense is.

I'm going to be going back to France for some more quintet, our name is the French Connection, do you think we stole that from FCUK, no, we are just the french connection.

WEEWEETPT
extromba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then...I think that clears up everything for all of us.

Thanks so much.
weeweetpt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba wrote:
Okay then...I think that clears up everything for all of us.

Thanks so much.

Yes, This Thread is like a Rocking Chair; it'll give you something to do, but it wont get you anywhere

Wee
MFMeow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeweetpt wrote:
Yes, This Thread is like a Rocking Chair; it'll give you something to do, but it wont get you anywhere

Wee

That's the most astute thing I've seen anyone post in a long time.

Go weewee! Go weewee!!

Kirsten
extromba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motion to close this thread?
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba,

Why do you want to rain on our parade? Speaking of parades, I'm going to start a business called paradetrumpeter.org, which will offer the services of marching trumpet players to municipalities that consistently are unable to field quality marching bands. Why should families who expect to hear a decent King Cotton on the Fourth of July be subjected to missed notes, poor intonation, etc.? Americans everywhere deserve better. My service will match needy trumpet players with needy cities, at a reasonable price. After all, the police and firefighters get paid, the guy who runs the power washer to clean up the horse dung gets paid, the mayor gets paid, etc. etc. Why shouldn't the marching trumpeters get paid?
Solar Bell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTee wrote:
extromba,

Why do you want to rain on our parade? Speaking of parades, I'm going to start a business called paradetrumpeter.org, which will offer the services of marching trumpet players to municipalities that consistently are unable to field quality marching bands. Why should families who expect to hear a decent King Cotton on the Fourth of July be subjected to missed notes, poor intonation, etc.? Americans everywhere deserve better. My service will match needy trumpet players with needy cities, at a reasonable price. After all, the police and firefighters get paid, the guy who runs the power washer to clean up the horse dung gets paid, the mayor gets paid, etc. etc. Why shouldn't the marching trumpeters get paid?

Now THAT makes sense!

-cw-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: