• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

???

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Yo where the heck's "funkifier"?

[Moderators: Edited for content.]
Funkifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: ??? Reply with quote

swordfishtrombone wrote:
[Moderators: Edited for content.]

Thanks, mods!
Funkifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what was edited off?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pronoun "he" and a couple of hockey sticks were edited out.
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
the pronoun "he" and a couple of hockey sticks were edited out. :wink:

I really hope you are kidding. Because if that is all it takes to bring the hand of the moderators here these days, I seriously must reconsider my participation in a forum whose attitudes are so far out of line with my own - as well as those of mainstream (read: non-evangelical) America as a whole.

I've clashed with the censors here before, but this (if true) is really beyond belief. That word brings no sanction from Bush's FCC, nor will it even get a film a "PG-13" from Valenti's MPAA.

So you kind of have to wonder just who the mods are pandering to with nonsense like this.

I've said here several times that I really don't want to throw my online energies to "The Master" because I remember (even though large numbers of TH subscribers seem to want to forget/deny) how immaturely the person behind that forum behaved here back in the day. But if censoring everyday American English slang is really what the moderators are going to be spending their time on here, I (and my nasty secular humanist pinko worldview) no longer feel comfortable or welcome here.

Todd, man, get a grip.

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rank_amateur wrote:
...I seriously must reconsider my participation in a forum whose attitudes are so far out of line with my own - as well as those of mainstream (read: non-evangelical) America as a whole...
Thankfully, it is a free country, and you are free to leave or start up your own site where you can moderate your site it as you see fit. There really is no need to ignore clear advisories that have been given by those whose efforts make this a great site. And is it really that hard to end a word with "ck" as opposed to "ll"?

Swimming in mainstream America, hoping you have a nice day on TH!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
BachBuffer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FN A!
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
There really is no need to ignore clear advisories that have been given by those whose efforts make this a great site.

I was so naive that it never occured to me that the proscription mentioned in that sticky post in "Horns" extended to the "h-word" and the "d-word". (It makes me feel as though I'm back in elementary school to have to use such ridiculous terms.)

I assumed (and did not complain) that such interdictions included the "f-word", the "s-word", and/or vulgar terms for human genitalia or sexual acts.

But really... h*ll and d*mn?? That's just silly and serves only to undermine the authority and seriousness of the legitimate concern over trying to keep TH all-ages friendly.

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rank_amateur wrote:
But really... h*ll and d*mn?? That's just silly and serves only to undermine the authority and seriousness of the legitimate concern over trying to keep TH all-ages friendly.
Explain the logic in your statement, please. How can keeping the site clean (cleaner than some may care for, but clean nonetheless) "undermine the authority and seriousness" of keeping the site safe for all ages?

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
Explain the logic in your statement, please.

Going after common slang words that the vast majority of the general public no longer find offensive makes the moderators look silly. (I wanted to use a stronger term than "silly", but figured that was sure to bring on the censors again.)

Clear enough?

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though most uses of the word hell and many uses of damn won't be edited in the TH, moderators also consider context. As the opening phrase exhibited, to a number of readers, a lack of civility it received a small edit to retain 100% of its intent without the perceived courseness. As moderators, we work to encourage discourse from everyone. Maintaining a reasonable level of civility makes the TH a better site for all, IOHO. We don't expect that everyone will agree with all edits. Nor are we capable of catching every slight. But as a group, we try to be even-handed to all. MODS
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rank_amateur wrote:
bilboinsa wrote:
Explain the logic in your statement, please.

Going after common slang words that the vast majority of the general public no longer find offensive makes the moderators look silly. (I wanted to use a stronger term than "silly", but figured that was sure to bring on the censors again.)

Clear enough?
Not really. Logically, if the goal is to make the site all-ages friendly, then a more over-protective environment seems to be in order.

Look at it this way: If I am on an airplane with my family, and some guy is yakking into his cell phone while we wait to take off, and uses the d*mn or h*ll words, you better believe I would call him out on it--and remind him that there are kids on board. The same applies to other words.

I think the "general public" would like a little more civility all around--we're just too nice to gripe about things usually.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
If I am on an airplane with my family, and some guy is yakking into his cell phone while we wait to take off, and uses the d*mn or h*ll words, you better believe I would call him out on it--and remind him that there are kids on board...
I think the "general public" would like a little more civility all around--we're just too nice to gripe about things usually. :)

All I can say is that I'm glad I've never been on an airplane with you.

The heart of the matter, I think, boils down to this: You and people like you see words like "hell" and "damn" as somehow automatically uncivil regardless of context. Many (I won't get in to arguing with folks like you about who is in the majority) of your fellow citizens do notsee these words as in any way uncivil. They are simply modifiers used primarily for emphasis in everyday conversation.

By the way, I am 45 years old and have three children 18, 14, and 12.

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkifier wrote:
I wonder what was edited off?

A four letter word that describes the place where the "devil" resides.
Example: "Where the _ _ _ _'s so and so been?" I guess heck would've been a more politically correct term!
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rank_amateur wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
the pronoun "he" and a couple of hockey sticks were edited out.

I really hope you are kidding. Because if that is all it takes to bring the hand of the moderators here these days, I seriously must reconsider my participation in a forum whose attitudes are so far out of line with my own - as well as those of mainstream (read: non-evangelical) America as a whole.

Simply amazing, is'nt it? A certain few might need to acquire a reasonable semblance of a life. It would amaze you at some of the other things that they've taken out of context and chastised for, but it falls into typicality of an insecure nature to excert certain authority over others. Oh well, it certainly does'nt change the course of my life. It's really not that big of a deal, really!
I'm glad alls well, "funkifier"!
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
Though most uses of the word hell and many uses of damn won't be edited in the TH, moderators also consider context. As the opening phrase exhibited, to a number of readers, a lack of civility it received a small edit to retain 100% of its intent without the perceived courseness. As moderators, we work to encourage discourse from everyone. Maintaining a reasonable level of civility makes the TH a better site for all, IOHO. We don't expect that everyone will agree with all edits. Nor are we capable of catching every slight. But as a group, we try to be even-handed to all. MODS

You've got to be kidding me! I challenge you to define any lack of civility in the context of that question. For the record, I've had a fair amount of correspondence with the mentioned "funkifier", and I guarantee you that "funkifier" felt no disrespect to the construction of that query. You know, it really is comical how a certain "embouchure guru" is allowed to use the same two every day four letter words liberally at TH.
Go figure! I guess it just goes to show you boredom is wide spread.
I hope you can get back to "work" soon, "BachBuffer".
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
rank_amateur wrote:
Explain the logic in your statement, please. How can keeping the site clean (cleaner than some may care for, but clean nonetheless) "undermine the authority and seriousness" of keeping the site safe for all ages?

Yo, hobbit, go back to your hole in the ground.
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:

Look at it this way: If I am on an airplane with my family, and some guy is yakking into his cell phone while we wait to take off, and uses the d*mn or h*ll words, you better believe I would call him out on it...

In most places in this country, that would warrant you a nice black eye.
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
As the opening phrase exhibited, to a number of readers, a lack of civility it received a small edit ...

That's just... sad.

"Where the hell is <insert name here>?" is uncivil?

You guys have lost your collective minds. If you were trying to make an example of that particular user because of past infractions, have the guts to just say that.

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: