• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone leaving soon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you leaving TH soon?
Yes
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
No
72%
 72%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 47

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunuckle Head wrote:
You need a "considering it" button for your poll.

True - can I change the options in a poll?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Cunuckle Head wrote:
You need a "considering it" button for your poll.

True - can I change the options in a poll?

If it's possible, the way to do it is to edit your original post in the thread. I'm not sure it's possible once you have responses.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably due to votes entered in the poll, the options cannot be changed anymore.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess people aren't able to be fence-sitters on this one.

(well, except by not voting)
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't see the big deal about the Capt. I sometimes skim his posts. If there is something there that I'm interested in, I'll look more carefullly.

I don't remember seeing the Capt. attack people on here. Well, maybe after someone has taken a personal shot at him. I've seen him argue over ideas. Sure he has some screwy ideas, but some of them are interesting. I think maybe he comes at trumpet from an industrial-technology point of view.

Why do you need a button to ignore him?

And like some people said, just stop talking about him.
puckish02

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new member here - I've been lurking for quite awhile. A friend of mine that I work with recommended it about a year ago. I almost registered and posted just to add my two cents regarding "cap'n crunch" and then a more irritating development happened in the mean time. It seems the captain can foment all sorts of discord on this site and at most one of his posts might get edited or pulled. However, my friend who got me hooked on this site just answered a question a non-US resident posted asking for clarification on another guy's off-hand remark about Barack Obama and his post wasn't edited or pulled - he has been banned. It seems to me if the Trumpetherald doesn't want people exposing another poster's remarks as racist they ought maybe to edit the racist's post, eliminate the racists offending post or ban the racist - not the guy who pointed out his remark was racist. In view of the moderators' screwed up handling of my friend's participation I wouldn't be surprised if this is my first and last post at TH - that would be a shame . . . but not much of a surprise.

By all means, keep the captain safely among the fold and ban anybody who explains upon request of another the racist remarks of one of your favored and immune few.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Mr. John Baumchen left the forum?
Is he only giving TH a well-deserved time off, or have the mods finally taken action?
He's posted no more obnoxious posts since quite a while and some previous posts of his have been removed or revised.

The only way to ignore him was to virtually ignore the entire forum, so I voted "Yes".
If Bauchman's posts are an important part of what TH stands for then I'm out of here, but I'll gladly revise my opinion if the situation has changed.

MvW.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
...I don't remember seeing the Capt. attack people on here...

Mike, I do.
Some of the worst stuff has been removed though.

A small reminder:
John Baumchen has repeatedly attacked, bashed and insulted Mr.Getzen and some of his employees, the late Mr.V.Bach & company, Mr.Kanstul, the Yamaha company, C-trumpet players (...), several top-notch repair guys like Charly Melk, DQ, RogersBrass and Ken Larson and a whole bunch of other settled professionals.

You don't see the big deal?
His constant posting of provokative rumors, lies, insults and ill advice based on no direct experience whatsoever is a VERY big deal for many, especially since it's often followed up by his whining, sobbing and self-victimizing when others defend themselves or respond.

Stop talking about him?
I think most of us tried that for quite a while and it only got worse. However, massively and openly pointing out that quite a few of us are completely fed up, might have finally woken up the people in charge (who are generally doing a good job, though I never understood their take on this one).

Ignore him?
I'm willing to ignore Mr.Baumchen's many pointless & poorly written off-topic rants, but refuse to let him get away with the other nonsense. I can assure you I wouldn't accept it from anyone in real life either.

Leave? Let me quote myself from another thread:
"It's been nice so far, but if things don't change for the better it's time for me to move on. I feel I've got better things to do than attending a forum that's being manipulated by a manic space-ship captain wannabe on heavy medication."

MvW.
puckish02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe Captain K is no longer an issue - maybe someone could explain TH's approach to dealing with my associate. Why do the moderators simply edit some peoples' posts if part or all of the post offends their delicate sensitivities . . . but they jump right to "banishment" for others? If these banished posters had a long (or even short) history of needing to have their posts edited or even deleted then, yeah, I can see banishing someone. But that's not the case here, is it moderators? You never took a single post by my colleague that contained content objectionable to you and edited out the "objectionable" leaving the rest of the post (and the poster) to participate in reasoned discussion - did you? You never even deleted an entire post and left the message "deleted by moderators" - did you? You just yanked a guy who had been on here a pretty long while because he called out your friend for his fascist, racist positions. Political? Sure it was political - and it was in response to one of your "heavy weights" behaving poorly and politically. You should have looked at his post, contacted him and told him he needed to behave - not banished the guy who explained your racist friend's racist comments to a member who lives outside the US and couldn't understand your racist friend's remark . . . and who asked for clarification. I understand you think you need to intervene in the interest of maintaining a certain propriety but you guys sure do exercise the "nuclear option" with very little provocation.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The user in question was banned after repeated warnings and continuing to post material in violation of the Usage Agreement.

Please note also the guidance in this post:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83216
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puckish02 wrote:
<snip>

You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules.

Stop complaining if you you get spanked after refusing to follow the rules here. It's not a democracy here.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
The user in question was banned after repeated warnings...

Would you mind specifying the user you are talking about?
The main subject of this thread, or the one referred to by the new member?

MvW.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Moderators wrote:

The main subject of this entire thread, or the one referred to by the new member?

MvW.

Seeing how the Crapt has posted since puckish2 joined, my guess would be that it is his "friend" that has been banned.
Anyone else smell something fishy about a new user who joins purely to post in Reveille about a "friend" who has been banned?
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wise person once told me: "When it comes to opinions, take it all in, then take out the trash!"

I completely agree. The trouble is, the inexperienced will sometimes have trouble distinguishing the trash from the treasure.
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
puckish02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The user in question was banned after repeated warnings"

I read the three PMs from, obviously, the same individual moderator - three PMs in response to a single post which was, itself in response to the resurrection of an earlier thread, most of a decade old, in which several religeous blowhards went on and on about their beloved one. My friend acknowledged he had responded to a dated post and had hoped the issue was behind everyone . . . and then, a week later and out of the blue, this lone, bully moderator started sending him PMs threatening him and, obviously trying to goad him into responding in anger. He kept the messages - I could post them if you'd all like to judge for yourselves whether he was the victim of a rogue bully purporting to represent the wishes of the entire "moderator corps". So yes, he got repeated warnings - for the same (one) perceived offense and well after he had, essentially apologised for not having noticed the thread to which he objected was years old and from another time when religeous blowhards could, with impunity, spread their pseudo-piety at Trumpetherald.

"You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules."

During the fifties, in the McCarthy era, the John Birch Society came out with a mantra much like this; "America, Love it or Leave it". Eventually clearer heads began to prevail and the response to that became "America, Change it or Lose it". Many of the folks heading up the movement to confront the bullies and take back their country . . . were the musicians of this nation - at least that's how I remember it. If you want to borrow your bumper sticker discussion points from the John Birch Society and Joseph McCarthy I guess I can't stop you. Sadly, at least in my view, from the 60s to the present, the number of venues for trumpet players dwindled to where the majority of opportunities to play wind ensemble music in the US were in the military or in churches of a size to support such ensembles. What's the outcome of that? A vocal community of conservative, religeous minded guys started controlling discussion where prior they would have been ostracised for their intolerant views. Given what must feel to some of them like ultimate power a few (only a few) have chosen to flaunt that power, purport to speak for the whole of the moderators, and say intemperate things like "You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules." Can there be a more childish, playground-like response to a disagreement?

"Anyone else smell something fishy"

You're free to believe what you please. I work in the same university department as my "friend" and we play in the same Brass Band in neighboring Spokane. He's an architect - I'm a mechanical engineer. We carpool to Spokane (an hour and a half each way) to attend rehearsals - we have lots of time to fill with discussion of boorish rogue moderators who act unilaterally to ban fairly innocent occassional posters while allowing blatant nonsense by others who, coincidentally, share their world view. That's fishy. Three PMs, beginning a week after a post that was hardly in non-compliance with the user agreement . . . and all penned with the same childlike writing style - that's fishy. Aren't you guys the least bit disturbed that a single person can exhert such uncontested control over the positions of the majority? Hey, mods: aren't you getting a little bit embarrassed that this loose cannon is making you look like intolerant rednecks? Captain Kirk can bad mouth legitimate posters for months on end with no alteration to his offensive posts (and certainly not banishment) . . . and my friend responds to a years old post (a single incident) and the multiple PMs from an individual moderator turns that into "repeated warnings"?

That's fishy. That should be unacceptable to all of us.
puckish02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten - my friend's username was johnsboy. He is an articulate, well educated, ordinarily patient 54 year old man. He is much beloved in our office and in our Brass Band. Those of us who know him "in the flesh" usually respect his opinions. When we don't we discuss our disagreement with specific points . . . and we don't, unilaterally, cut him off in mid discussion and ban him from our presence. That's how adults deal with varying points of view.

We don't tell him to start his own Brass Band - that would be childish.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Moderators wrote:

FWIW,
Mr. John Baumchen has posted an enormous rant again.
("Harrelson vs Monette" thread in "Horns".)

I guess this answers quite a couple of my questions and doubts.

MvW.
puckish02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I think it does answer at least these questions: Do moderators make the tough decisions as a body, or can individual moderators impose their own world view. Do a few (maybe just one) moderators make decisions about who stays and who goes with little or no regard for what the "community" would prefer and control discussion not with reason but by banishing what they (he) considers a dissenting viewpoint? Are the moderators ever going to do something about this individual moderator who keeps acting outside the group and embarrassing them with his boorish, playground bully behavior?
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puckish02 wrote:
... my friend's username was johnsboy. ...

I always enjoyed johnsboy's participation and found his comments always thoughtful and on topic. I didn't realize he had been banned, but learning that now... it's a true loss to the TH "community", IMHO.

I never met him or had any reason for PMs with him, but please let him know at least one ConnArtist is very sorry to have lost his presence here.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puckish02 wrote:
Maarten - my friend's username was johnsboy...

Puckish,
I'm sorry for your friend.
I'm afraid his username doesn't ring a bell (we might have been hanging out on different threads), so I can't and won't judge the situation.

Admittedly,
I'm surprised to notice (understatement of the decade) that CK is still allowed to post his rants as before, which adds an entirely new dimension to the saying "You Can't Fight a Troll".

Oh well, I surrender.
Please wake me up when it's all over.
MvW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: