• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Personal web sites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bacon,

I think we all agree that Joe is a good guy and deserves respect for his services (at least I do). I don't think extromba said anything to the contrary, and if you read his post, he was not critical of Joe personally. Your attempt to spin the post to fit your own agenda is as transparent as it is unconvincing.

A few points: first of all, don't criticize someone's spelling when you have your own issues in that respect. You wrote this: "I suggest you purchase a dictionary and look up words you're confused about BEFORE typing them into a computor." (Emphasis mine.) You should follow your own advice before making snarky comments to others, especially when you misspell something in the same exact sentence.

Further, I think extromba's issue is more with your attempt to pass off BAA as your own organization. On this issue, regardless of my views concerning your business, I strongly urge you to put your ego aside and recognize that extromba knows what he's talking about. I guarantee this: if you get sued by BAA, you will most likely lose. Courts are not sympathetic to the arguments you've made, so proceed very carefully in this matter. Of course, feel free to chart your own path, but do so at your own peril.

FTee
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have said this before, and amsure I'll be repeating it. Mark is a good guy and is just making a buck.

Wow. I guess as long as he is "just making a buck", that justifies his means. Joe, you are missing the obvious.

Quote:
That is what this website is about. Helping each other out. It has NOTHING to do with playing for free.

The arguments against Mark Bacon have almost nothing to do with charging a fee, but rather his crass and underhanded way of promoting his business. Further, Joe, you actually care about helping others on the TH. Bacon is just using the TH, just like he is using you.

Bacon hypes his business in every post, and repeatedly violates the TH usage agreement. If he actually decided to contribute as a regular member, the situation would be entirely different.

Jeff
extromba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bacon:

I'm really at a loss as to how to respond to your message. While there are a number of things I would like to say to you that are highly inappropriate for this forum, I'll simply stick to the legal issues at hand.

At the outset, it is important for you to understand that my concern is not with the fees you charge for your services. That is your call and I am not going to pass judgment on the appropriateness of charging for a service that others feel should be provided at no charge, out of respect for our dead soldiers.

Indeed, as Ftee so eloquently stated, my comments to Joe were not intended to be disrespectful as I am truly humbled by the profound sacrifice that men and women like Joe have made for this country and for our fellow Americans.

Notwithstanding your unpersuasive arguments to the contrary, the fact that you secured a domain name and operate under a trade name that has only a de minimis spelling difference from the well known mark “Bugles Across America” appears to be nothing short of trademark infringement and unfair competition, which violates numerous provisions of the Lanham Act, 15 U.S.C. 1051, et seq. The case law throughout the various federal circuits prohibiting intentional misspellings of others' trademarks is well-established and unequivocal.

Moreover, your argument that it is my apparent lack of education which caused me to be misdirected to your infringing web site is not only misguided and offensive, but will not mitigate any potential damages that may have been caused by your actions.

Simply put, your behavior appears to violate federal trademark and unfair competition laws, and to date, you have presented absolutely no valid defense to overcome any potential claims.

Mr. Bacon - as you can see from the many postings on this thread and in previous others, you are clearly in the minority of your fellow trumpeters in thinking that such actions are acceptable and lawful.

Feel free to continue to hurl offensive and uninformed comments in my direction. I have a thick skin.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well... that about covers the flyby."
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

Interesting discussion. I checked it out and found this interesting article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting
extromba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also...

Shields v. Zuccarini, 254 F.3d 476 (3d Cir. 2001). The district court held that registering domain names that are intentional misspellings of distinctive or famous trademarks violates the ACPA. The court found that there was bad faith intent to profit from the use of the confusingly similar domain names. The court affirmed the lower court’s preliminary injunction against defendant, who had registered four domain names for “Joe Cartoon” that were confusingly similar to plaintiff’s cartoon character of the same name. Defendant had posted criticism at these domains of the content of plaintiff’s site.

and...

CitizenHawk Eyes Typosquatters

Swooping down on cybersquatters who profit from brand name misspellings.
April 16, 2007
RED HERRING (www.redherring.com)
By Leah Messinger

On the web, misspelling spells big business for typosquatters.

It happens when someone buys a domain name that closely resembles a recognized brand or trademark, save for a few key intentional typos. So, while Amazon owns the domain amazon.com, typosquatters have purchased web sites amazan.net and 1mazon.com.

“On the Internet, [trademark infringement] is happening millions of times a day,” said Ari Master, COO of CitizenHawk, which offers digital brand management tools.

So, the Aliso Viejo, California-based company is swooping into a nettlesome, burgeoning niche. Today the company launched Typosquasher, an on-demand service that combats online trademark infringement and other cyber crimes that stem from typosquatting.

Typosquasher helps companies search for trademark violators and then take legal steps, such as sending warning letters to the domain name owners or the domain hosts. The Maveron-funded company said it has provided its beta service to 1-800-PetMeds, Overstock.com, and others.

“If retailers had the resources, they would have tackled [this problem] a long time ago,” said Forrester senior analyst Sucharita Mulpuru.

Capitalizing on Typos

A 2006 Forrester study estimated that 38 percent of the time, consumers type URLs incorrectly into their browsers. Many sites capitalize on this shortcoming, making money by lead generation and through Google and Yahoo ad sales, for example.

Cybersquatting expert David Steel said he has encountered defendants who have registered as many as 16 million domain names similar to common brand names. He added that such infringement is enforceable under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act of 1999. But to hold typosquatters accountable, “the hard part is really finding them.”

Sarah Deutsch, vice president and associate general counsel for Verizon, said typosquatting is a serious problem for her company, which has not tried Typosquasher. Nevertheless, Verizon is likely to take legal action against a typosquatter early next week. Ms. Deutsch said she has located a company that owns domain names using 1,300 variations of the Verizon brand.

Ms. Deutsch said that locating infringers and then sending warning notices is not a viable option. “If you’re the trademark owner, you’re going to be forced to send takedown notices day after day after day, with no resolution to the problem,” Ms. Deutsch said.

She suggested that more energy should be devoted to solving the problem at its source: registry companies that allow users to purchase fraudulent domains.
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba wrote:
See also...

Shields v. Zuccarini, 254 F.3d 476 (3d Cir. 2001). The district court held that registering domain names that are intentional misspellings of distinctive or famous trademarks violates the ACPA. The court found that there was bad faith intent to profit from the use of the confusingly similar domain names. The court affirmed the lower court’s preliminary injunction against defendant, who had registered four domain names for “Joe Cartoon” that were confusingly similar to plaintiff’s cartoon character of the same name. Defendant had posted criticism at these domains of the content of plaintiff’s site.

and...

CitizenHawk Eyes Typosquatters

Swooping down on cybersquatters who profit from brand name misspellings.
April 16, 2007
RED HERRING (www.redherring.com)
By Leah Messinger

On the web, misspelling spells big business for typosquatters.

It happens when someone buys a domain name that closely resembles a recognized brand or trademark, save for a few key intentional typos. So, while Amazon owns the domain amazon.com, typosquatters have purchased web sites amazan.net and 1mazon.com.

“On the Internet, [trademark infringement] is happening millions of times a day,” said Ari Master, COO of CitizenHawk, which offers digital brand management tools.

So, the Aliso Viejo, California-based company is swooping into a nettlesome, burgeoning niche. Today the company launched Typosquasher, an on-demand service that combats online trademark infringement and other cyber crimes that stem from typosquatting.

Typosquasher helps companies search for trademark violators and then take legal steps, such as sending warning letters to the domain name owners or the domain hosts. The Maveron-funded company said it has provided its beta service to 1-800-PetMeds, Overstock.com, and others.

“If retailers had the resources, they would have tackled [this problem] a long time ago,” said Forrester senior analyst Sucharita Mulpuru.

Capitalizing on Typos

A 2006 Forrester study estimated that 38 percent of the time, consumers type URLs incorrectly into their browsers. Many sites capitalize on this shortcoming, making money by lead generation and through Google and Yahoo ad sales, for example.

Cybersquatting expert David Steel said he has encountered defendants who have registered as many as 16 million domain names similar to common brand names. He added that such infringement is enforceable under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act of 1999. But to hold typosquatters accountable, “the hard part is really finding them.”

Sarah Deutsch, vice president and associate general counsel for Verizon, said typosquatting is a serious problem for her company, which has not tried Typosquasher. Nevertheless, Verizon is likely to take legal action against a typosquatter early next week. Ms. Deutsch said she has located a company that owns domain names using 1,300 variations of the Verizon brand.

Ms. Deutsch said that locating infringers and then sending warning notices is not a viable option. “If you’re the trademark owner, you’re going to be forced to send takedown notices day after day after day, with no resolution to the problem,” Ms. Deutsch said.

She suggested that more energy should be devoted to solving the problem at its source: registry companies that allow users to purchase fraudulent domains.

Thanks extromba...
but the citations above apply to a categorically different situation that you simply fail to comprehend. Have your legal team review it and then pursue it if they think your case has merit.
jjwadams

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bye

Last edited by jjwadams on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bacon,

I don't think extromba needs a legal team to review this issue. He knows what he's talking about (and you should also check out the site Mr. MacCluer helpfully provided). I again urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to get some sober, independent counsel on this matter. Despite your conclusory assertion that "the citations above apply to a categorically different situation that you simply fail to comprehend[,]" you do not explain why the situation is categorically different. Look at the facts (before a court of law does, and before you start shelling out a couple hundred bucks per hour for some lawyer to represent you): two organizations, in the same field, offering the same services (it doesn't matter whether one is free and the other makes a profit), with nearly identical names and marks, and a URL that has a whole one-letter difference. I am at a loss to see how the law of trademark infringement doesn't apply here. And frankly, unless you have some background and education in the field of trademarks, you should drop the bravado and consider what extromba has to say. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

FTee
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops
extromba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough legal analysis TapsTrumpeter. Where did you get your JD?

Since I am apparently nothing more than a simpleton who doesn’t know his amato water key from a hole in the ground, maybe you can heed the advice of the learned FTee on this issue.
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote

I'm not a lawyer and don't claim to have any specialized knowledge on the subject, but I don't see any categorical difference here. Who came first, you or them?

Personally I want to succeed based on my own merits, not my similarity to someone else's.

JM
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTee wrote:
Mr. Bacon,

I don't think extromba needs a legal team to review this issue. He knows what he's talking about (and you should also check out the site Mr. MacCluer helpfully provided). I again urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to get some sober, independent counsel on this matter. Despite your conclusory assertion that "the citations above apply to a categorically different situation that you simply fail to comprehend[,]" you do not explain why the situation is categorically different. Look at the facts (before a court of law does, and before you start shelling out a couple hundred bucks per hour for some lawyer to represent you): two organizations, in the same field, offering the same services (it doesn't matter whether one is free and the other makes a profit), with nearly identical names and marks, and a URL that has a whole one-letter difference. I am at a loss to see how the law of trademark infringement doesn't apply here. And frankly, unless you have some background and education in the field of trademarks, you should drop the bravado and consider what extromba has to say. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

FTee

Thanks for your legal opinion. I am not worried that you don't understand some important intracies about internet law.

Also!

To all those watching this debate and emailed me at WebMaster@TapsTrumpeter.com Thanks for your support and constructive criticism. What can I say? Live and learn is right.

Other than the two disgruntled "gentlemen" (you know who you are) with the same old variations on a worn out argument , I wasn't expecting such a nice ground swell of support which made my day. Thanks.

Yes. There is someone who will stand up for you Musicians and fight the Good Fight against the underminers and cost cutters here.

To those who are interested and have not written, there is plenty of space left for skilled Buglers and Trumpeters with good attitudes, and a willingness to serve our veterans with musical variety and excellence. Send a letter of interest to: WebMaster@TapsTrumpeter.com

While I'm at it, I'd like to introduce my newest member from out of the blue: John Reed. Welcome! TapsTrumpeter will direct traffic your way as it comes in to serve our veterans in your area.

Thanks to all for keeping our thread humming.

PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAKE UP- you have more than 2 disgruntled gentlemen here. maybe it's time for a poll. If what you are doing isn't illegal, it sure is dirty pool. I am completley disgusted by what you are doing.

You should have named your organization Burglars across America.
I checked the meta tags on you website. here are some keywords.
>>>>
Taps, BuglesAcrossAmerica, Bugles Across America, taps bugler, bugles across america, buglesacrossamerica,

Your tactics are a little familiar, even the colorfull bold font,,,,,,Do you have a brother in Canada named Alex?
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TapsTrumpeter wrote:

Thanks for your legal opinion. I am not worried that you don't understand some important intracies about internet law.

You wrote that "I [meaning you?] am not worried that you don't understand . . . internet law." I will assume that you, despite the double negative, meant to say that I actually don't understand internet law. Well, fine, I'm not going to try anymore to persuade you, because somebody else might do so in the future (e.g., a judge, in the form of a permanent injunction preventing your from doing what you're doing), but what really gets me is that you fail to give any explanation of why extromba, myself, and others are wrong. What "intricacies about internet law" are you speaking of? Is there some doctrine of trademark law that we don't get? Has the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit gone and charted a new path again? Please, please, please, point us to some legal authority (other than your own ipse dixit to the contrary), such as a statute, court opinion, USPTO ruling, or law review article supporting your view -- which, as of yet, we don't even know, other than your bald assertion that we don't get it.

Please stop hiding behind your faux cheerfulness and blithe statements of your correctness. Your responses so far have been substantively pathetic. Give us some real basis for your insistence that you are not violating federal trademark law, or go away.

P.S. You wrote this: "There is someone who will stand up for you Musicians and fight the Good Fight against the underminers and cost cutters here." Please clarify: are you referring to persons who donate their services when they play Taps for our veterans as "underminers and cost cutters"? I don't see any other way to read it, but perhaps I'm wrong. If that is in fact what you meant, you have some real issues, my friend.
extromba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job TapsTrumpeter . . . not only have you registered an infringing domain name and are using a confusingly similar source indicator on your site, but you also apparently have metatags that purposefully attempt to misdirect people intending to reach Bugles Across America web site. You have managed to utilize every method known to the federal courts for engaging in trademark infringement via the web.

Bravo . . . you really are a piece of work.
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Mark's initial post and before any comments I emailed him about joining and thought nothing of it. Then the comments started coming about how bad it is for professional trumpet players to charge for their services which made me want to support Mark's endeavor more. Then the comments started about his antiwar links being treasonous and you people disgusted me in your contempt both for the victims of our war and for the liberties we have in this country to express even unpopular views. I couldn't take your side there and it made me want support Mark more. Then I the discussion turned to Mark's marketing practices and after reading all of that I can't support Mark and no longer wish to be associated with him. Except for the several people who kept their criticisms to his marketing this was ugly on all sides and most people involved should be ashamed.

Jason Pellett
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpellett wrote:
After Mark's initial post and before any comments I emailed him about joining and thought nothing of it. Then the comments started coming about how bad it is for professional trumpet players to charge for their services which made me want to support Mark's endeavor more. Then the comments started about his antiwar links being treasonous and you people disgusted me in your contempt both for the victims of our war and for the liberties we have in this country to express even unpopular views. I couldn't take your side there and it made me want support Mark more. Then I the discussion turned to Mark's marketing practices and after reading all of that I can't support Mark and no longer wish to be associated with him. Except for the several people who kept their criticisms to his marketing this was ugly on all sides and most people involved should be ashamed.

Jason Pellett

Jason
I had asked Mark the following:

"Mark I am the one who posed a question about the BAA site and you in the previous thread before it was removed, as I am sure this one is destined also....
You made some charges about Tom Day and his organization and accused them of bulling a member of your group and personally threatening you. You also questioned their business practices.
My question to you was (and it never was answered) if you find such fault with a group like Bugles Across America, why would you take a similar name? I'm pretty sure they were around before you. Don’t you find it disingenuous to have a similar web address that leads to a website with a different name? I’m not sure how legal that might be; it sure seems pretty unethical."

I've never received a response from him. Instead he took a shot at another poster:

"Your threat to TapsTrumpeter has been noted and recorded. Be advised that I have made a hard copy of this page and forwarded a copy to the legal advisors at TapsTrumpeter.com to supplement the threats made from members of Tom Day's "Bugles Across America". Additionally, I have asked them to monitor your profile and postings on this site for the precaution of preventing violence to any member of the TapsTrumpeter.com team. Should any harm come to a Tapstrumpeter or their family members as a result of your actions, you will be contacted and held accountable in a court of law for your actions.

Then thread then got pulled......

Just so people can understand what Tapstrumpet is all about, it would be good to read the website word for word and draw your own conclusions........

From TapsTrumpeter.com:

Thanks for visiting!
TapsTrumpeter was created to serve veterans and their families with excellent trumpeters and buglers who seek to honor veterans with beautiful and heartfelt music. Our members are willing to go the extra mile to make your families memorial service special and memorable.
The idea behind a national TapsTrumpeter database is in part a response to the deluge of complaints and sad stories from veteran's families and funeral directors I have received through the last few years. Many have told me of volunteer buglers fumbling/missing high notes and embarrassing the families. Some buglers have arrived so late as to miss the burial altogether. A few funeral directors now are having professional Bagpipers perform Taps to avoid a bad image to their funeral home.
Though these accounts are regrettable, they are also understandable because quality is not free. In a nutshell, you get what you pay and this is no surprise to most people.
Fortunately, TapsTrumpeter is providing a better way. I believe that veterans are entitled to the best service we can give them. Whenever possible, TapsTrumpeter sends experienced buglers and trumpeters who do an outstanding job. When unavailable, TapsTrumpeter recommends requesting the electronic bugle to spare the family from a final dishonor of a bad bugler.
TapsTrumpeter.com is currently accepting applications from excellent trumpeters/buglers to serve families throughout our nation. Send your letter of interest to: Webmaster@TapsTrumpeter.com Thank you.

PUBLIC NOTICE
Veterans familes take heed!
This is a public notice and fair warning about the volunteer site: BuglesAcrossAmerica.org.

"Although we don't all know how to play the bugle, this site is developed and maintained by a team of volunteers who are contributing countless hours to ensure this website runs, looks good, reads well, has accurate data, and promotes the Bugles Across America spirit."
God Bless America and BAA,?Dave K. (owner of buglesacrossamerica.org)
excerpted from: BuglesAcrossAmerica.org/webteam.php

If you are a family member of a veteran, you have the right to refuse an uninvited bugler at your family's burial service. Simply ask them to pack up and leave and do their practicing on their own time if they are "slamming" your family. You can elect to have the military honors sounded on the Electronic Bugle to insure that your family will not be embarrassed by a careless volunteer.

END OF EXCERPTS FROM WEBSITE

My concern here is not about misspelling a URL (a real specious argument) but the attitude of Mark Bacon. I notice that he does not sign his emails. Is it possible that this is not the real Mark Bacon, rather someone who is using his name? Or is he afraid that someone may be recording what he says for possible libel action? Or maybe he does not have the guts to stand behind what he says by signing his name?

The thing about the BAA Public Notice is real funny because thet "non-buglers" are the people who maintain the BAA website

Jason, I couldn’t care less what you or anyone else makes playing as a professional musician. I’m all for people being compensated for what they are worth. That’s what this country is all about.
However, there are people who are more than happy to volunteer their time to perform Taps for our nation’s veterans. To many this is a way of returning something they feel they owe. To have someone who berates others on this forum, make charges about a nonprofit organization, and generally come across with a “Holier-than Thou” presence is something that gets under the skin of a lot of trumpeters here. I guess that is what bothers so many.

I have written that I would like to see proof of his charges against BAA. I’d like to see proof of his claims on his website too....

Would it not be nice to read a website that is written in a more positive manner?

Jari Villanueva
www.tapsbugler.com

That's TAPS BUGLER
I believe Mr. Bacon is sitting on the Domain Name tapsbugler.org

Last edited by tapsbugler on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Taps bugler. That really is enlightening.
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
WAKE UP- you have more than 2 disgruntled gentlemen here. maybe it's time for a poll. If what you are doing isn't illegal, it sure is dirty pool. I am completley disgusted by what you are doing.

You should have named your organization Burglars across America.
I checked the meta tags on you website. here are some keywords.
>>>>
Taps, BuglesAcrossAmerica, Bugles Across America, taps bugler, bugles across america, buglesacrossamerica,

Your tactics are a little familiar, even the colorfull bold font,,,,,,Do you have a brother in Canada named Alex?

Thanks for your "analysis" however what you don't acknowledge is that TapsTrumpeter owns many domains including Bugles Across America. Your understanding of meta tags is rather naive. It appears that your comments stem from either jealousy or ignorance if not both.

TapsTrumpeter.com connects veterans and their families with skilled trumpeters and buglers, provides work for them and makes sure they are fairly compensated....just like everyone else at a funeral.

Didn't you mention earlier that you receive compensation when performing a funeral? If so, good. You should if you are providing a valuable and worthy service to the family. This is basic labor rights 101. Those who provide a good and useful service should be compensated for their time/talent and labor. If you're getting paid, shouldn't your trumpet and bugle colleagues who are also providing this service get paid too? Why should Buglers/Trumpeters be last in the soup line and get short-changed when every other funeral service provider is getting fairly paid and respected for their contribution?

The Florist got paid.
The Funeral Director got paid.
The Embalmer got paid.
The Gravestone Engraver got paid.
The Coffin Builder got paid.
The Hearse Driver got paid.
The Obituaries section got paid
The Grave Diggers got paid.
The Restaurant waiters got paid.
The Trumpeter/Bugler got.......

Those who have a problem with the fee for service model upon which the world operates simply have no reality based legitimate argument. Its called a free-loaders fantasy.
WebMaster@TapsTrumpeter.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: