• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Players Reputation: Egotistical?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph,

When you say double C are you referring to the C two ledger lines above the staff. If so then you should start referring to it as "high C" because that is what it is. If you really mean the C sitting on the fifth ledger line above the staff; and this is the note that players must be able to sustain with a good tone to get into two out of three bands at Concord High, then there is something truly remakable going on in Concord, NC.

Regards,

CR
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, I will call it what you want. But I will say, and you can not argue, if you have never heard the terms I used for the C's, than you must not be too knowledgable when it comes to range. Yes, CR, the terms I used because...how did you put it...'thats what they are'. Of course, unless you are studying jazz which I'm sure many of you are.
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbird,
No offense at all, anyone on this board will tell you I try my absolute best to not be argumentative.
HOWEVER, why don't you poll the other members of this board to see if THEY have ever heard of this "terminology"
Because we've never heard of it, doesn't mean we are not knowledgable, and as a matter of fact, I'd be more likely to believe the majority (the more senior members of this board) than the minority (you).
Personally my notation of choice is c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 etc... no confusion that way whatsoever.
Because you've had a few people come in and speak to you about "pure c", etc doesn't make them any less wrong or right, but for you to come into our house and say "If you've never heard of this terminology...your not very knowledgable" is completely off base and something that I am most POSITIVE we aren't going to take with any weight considering you are still in high school.
When you are getting paid well for what you are doing and have a large following and published documentation on accepted methods and terminology, then maybe more people will give credit to your statements.

Sorry for the flame but to tell the collective trumpet players here that we are not very knowledgable because we don't relate to terminology used by 1 of 449 members is a little shocking...

I wish you and your band the best this year
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbird,

Does your school band have a website or sound clips? A band as accomplished as yours is must have a website somewhere lauding its talents to the world.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we picking on Warbird? Bruised our egos, has he?

Warbird's school has a website, but I didn't see a music-related page:

http://www.cabarrus.k12.nc.us/chs/index.html

David

PS: I'm not familiar with Marching Band competitions, but the Spiders seem to win some awards!

[ This Message was edited by: David Oulton on 2002-01-31 14:30 ]
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is "picking" on warbird, but you can't just jump on a board, tell people that they aren't knowledgable about their passion and expect not to get flamed at least a little! ESPECIALLY when many of the people on here have been playing seriously since before Warbird was born. I am not one of those people, nor am I professional or serious for that matter. You don't have to take my word for anything. I just thought it was distasteful for such a comment to be posted...
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never once did I even pretend to be better than anyone on this forum. Incase you didn't notice, the origanal topic of this forum was about the trumpet player's "ego" that many people seem to assosiate with trumpet players. I planned on this being no more than a light hearted joking topic but there are some people on here that have turned it into a heated debate. I will not say that I am completly innocent, but I was not completly at fault. Saying that I am claiming to be better than many of you is not only a little untrue, but completly false. The only people I have corrected, I corrected because I thought I was right and everyone who has corrected me has not given me a reason to change my opinions. Notice how I did not say they were wrong. It seems to me that some of you seem to be to EGOTISTICAL to maybe admit that you are being a bit defensive. I have admitted that I was not completly right in all I may have said...why don't you humble yourself and not be such a high and mighty trumpet player and admit to you being wrong in your actions, too?

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS Just as a reply to your comments about experience....when Manyard F. started getting good, I bet that he was light years better than people who were his elders by many years...wow, that whole idea about experience sure it true isn't it? I bet MF has been horrible all this time until he has now become older and had more "experience". Listen, experience doesn't mean anything if you never learned in that time...not to say you didn't learn, just to prove a point.
trumpet2k3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you can use Maynard as a standard of comparison though. MF is an extremely unique individual with extraordinary and rare talent. By using him as an example, you help illustrate my point. Not everyone is MF. Not everyone is going to develop the range that he has mastered. If it were truely a common occurance, MF wouldn't have the reputation that he does- and consequently you wouldn't have used him in your example. While he may be an exception, it seems that in general- more often than not, physical maturity and experience yields better playing.

-Kevin
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine than, I figured I would use someone you know...but in that case, look at all of next year's seniors. Funny how I beat ehm, eh? Especially because several of them actually started 2 and 3 years before me. True that 2 and 3 years isn't a whole lot, but it is enough to learn how to play grade 6 plus music. Wow, imagine that. Are 7 people like this a good way to explain to you? On top of that, you only proved my point...Manyard F. is an amazing trumpet player but he is by no means the oldest and the way some on you talk, it is as if experience is everything...if not everything, than a way larger part of trumpet playing than it is. If Manyard F. is so great, than how come everyone who has played longer than him isn't better?

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 21:25, Warbird wrote:
Fine than, I figured I would use someone you know...but in that case, look at all of next year's seniors. Funny how I beat ehm, eh? Especially because several of them actually started 2 and 3 years before me. True that 2 and 3 years isn't a whole lot, but it is enough to learn how to play grade 6 plus music. Wow, imagine that. Are 7 people like this a good way to explain to you? On top of that, you only proved my point...Manyard F. is an amazing trumpet player but he is by no means the oldest and the way some on you talk, it is as if experience is everything...if not everything, than a way larger part of trumpet playing than it is. If Manyard F. is so great, than how come everyone who has played longer than him isn't better?

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I think it's time to move on to another topic. Let's leave this one alone for a while.

JC!
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone please enlighten me? What is this kid talking about? Apparently, the student has some problems, correct musical terminology being the least of them. Regards, T.
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would like to mention that Warbird is making the average high school trumpet player look bad. As a high school trumpet player who is fully devoted to the art, I respect those who have higher experience than me and work to make myself a better player and person by the advice they give. That is why I love this site. Any person who walks in here and says that the experiece does not reflect skill is a fool. Maybe the chops of the younger musician may be fresher, but who will be the smarter of the players in the long run. Are you trying to disprove that experience doesn't matter because you beat several upperclassmen in an audition? Since when does your years of playing reflect your experiece? I have students my excact age and they are learning a great deal!! Do you know why?? It is because I have a passion for music and have levied my time to get the experiece I need in order to succeed. I hope that this does not seem like a personal attack, but I felt that the average high school trumpet player's reputation was being tarnished.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the bruised ego thing, I think that is what has happened to Warbird. He just isn't used to the way it feels yet. Warbird, just wait until the conductor singles you out in a rehearsal, chews you out in front of everyone and then tells you to go stand in the hall.

No one here is saying that you haven't learned a great deal in a short amount of time. When I was in HS, by the end of my Freshman year, the only person that I sat behind was my sister, who was a senior. Unfortunately, good as I was for a Freshman, I didn't end up being the next Maynard. You however, could be the next Ryan Kisor for all we know, but IN GENERAL, experience will pull a vet through a situation where a younger person, who has gigged less, will crash and burn.

Just keep that fire burning. It's great to see your enthusiasm on the subject and there will come a time where life and circumstances will not allow you to be so focused on the horn and you will have to rely on the base that you built in you HS years.

Peace, out.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man trickg...
I remember freshman year of college playing lead. The song was Satin Doll and I had to play g4...*pop*...*pop*...*pop*. I played them but nowhere near the volume required.
When we listened to the performance, the instructor singled me out and said, "Hey man, its just not there, if ya can't take it, hand it to someone else"...
*OUCH* As good as I was in high school and all the kudos that I received, I was crushed.

To Warbird:
I never doubted your skill, nor did I accuse you of claiming that you are better than everyone else. (If I did then I apologize). All I did say was that you can't just come in here, start spouting off and telling us that we "must not be very knowledgable when it comes to range" without citing the source that can be verified and backed up in writing, and not expect to ruffle a few feathers. Correct we all have ego and sure you've bruised some ego's. I admit mine was a bit taken down a notch, but considering I've only been playing again since September after not playing since the end of my Freshman year of college, that doesn't take much.
I don't have a problem with you personally. I've met many trumpet players with ego's much worse who talked up quite a storm.
It was not my intention to upset you as I am sure it wasn't your intention to upset anyone else, AND I admire your ability to accept some responsibility and accountability here in this heated debate.
Welcome to the club...there are many many people on here that we BOTH could learn alot from so perhaps it better just to stop now, and go start learning from each other.
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, some of you are good at quoting me. Want to knwo the most interesting thing? I've already admitting I'm wrong...let me give you one of my previous posts...

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS I thought that on some of these issues I was just as right as you...why can you people not understand that if you think you are right, you stand your ground? Boy, I bet you guys feel really big and tough now. Sure showed a high schooler. Oh yeah, and about the high schooler thing...incase you havn't noticed, at most school's the band students are teased and taunted and are not held upto high expectations therefore are not good. I am here to tell you taht there ARE students our band program that excel the people in any group you have made"gigs" with.
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 19:01, Warbird wrote:
I will not say that I am completly innocent, but I was not completly at fault. Saying that I am claiming to be better than many of you is not only a little untrue, but completly false....Notice how I did not say they were wrong

You want me to make it blunt? then here you go...FINE I AM WRONG AND YOU GUYS ARE THE ALMIGHTY TRUMPET GODS OF THE EARTH. I WORSHIP THE EVERY BIT OF GROUND YOU WALK ON AND I WILL FOLLOW YOUR TEACHINGS. Do not even accuse me of overreacting because the way you are sounding, you are wanting me to think this of you. I have not put one post down that suggests I am better than you nor that I am more knowledgable. I figured that I would come on here because my trumpet teacher....thats right my trumpet teacher, the one better than I...told me about it and I saw some comments I didn't agree with. Well, excuse me and remove the dust from your sandles because I thought I might have known something. I now know that I will never amount to anything and know that just because I have less experience than some of you, I am completly unknowledgable. I guess all high school students are immature and ignorant in the ways of fine arts. Congradulations, I am defeated.
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once said---

Age and experience will always defeat youth and zeal.

Young ones --- be careful!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2002-02-02 11:23 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbird,

There are huge amounts of resources and information in this Forum. You have to want to learn to reap these benefits. Challenge your critics with logic, and stand or learn (notice I didn't say "fall") by the results.

Regards,

Charles Raymond
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone also once saide:

He who does not stand up for what he TRULY BELIEVES IS TRUTH is doomed to fall subject to myth.

Joseph...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: