• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why few professionals on TH?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are few professionals in TH, although world-class professionals, such as Andrea Guifredi, have disappeared.

I don't think it's for lack of time, they just don't need it.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't speak for anyone else here, but on top of the following reasons which have been explored here:

Trolls
Genuinely good advice being drowned out by horrible advice
Time that could be better spent elsewhere
Prevalence of social media etc.
Having to defend your name/your company's name
Huge uptick in spam/web security issues (Edit: just look at the footer of this page. "Copyright 1996-2004 trumpetherald.com" That's 20 years ago for pete's sake! The spam thing might have been resolved, but that certainly drove a lot of people away)
etc.

This thread is actually an example... People are giving good reasons and OP is being argumentative about them not being good reasons. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

If you know me I'm more than willing to hang out and talk shop, and even if you don't know me... I had someone send me an instagram message the other day and I spent two hours yesterday chatting with them and answering questions. I'd rather do that as I get MUCH more fulfillment than talking to the unappreciative masses (and yes I do know there's people here who are appreciative, but a few assholes ruin it for everyone else)

Cookie out.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi wrote:
If you're good at something, never do it for free. TH kinda takes advantage of their knowledge with no real reward.

Have to disagree with you on that - after a long career as a repairman, I'm trying to share knowledge with others as a legacy thing, if nothing else.

What good does it do for someone with knowledge of whatever sort to die with no one else getting access to some of it?

As for playing, that is a good thing to talk about as well, some of us have shared experiences that young players today will never get and learn from.
My 2p,
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YourBrass, you want to share your knowledge for free, mow, but what would your income be if you took that approach while trying to feed a family?

I required people to pay for my services. I worked hard to be qualified.
But . . I also gave monthly, free concerts for the residents of a severely handicapped center. You can give it back while not giving it away.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:

... - after a long career as a repairman, I'm trying to share knowledge with others as a legacy thing, if nothing else.
-Lionel

Thank you for your largess, sir.
I ... for one, have used your comments in a constructive manner, in respect to instrument (not just horns) repair.
I have shared a few of my little "tips", etc., here, as well.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
YourBrass, you want to share your knowledge for free, mow, but what would your income be if you took that approach while trying to feed a family?

I required people to pay for my services. I worked hard to be qualified.
But . . I also gave monthly, free concerts for the residents of a severely handicapped center. You can give it back while not giving it away.

I have varying opinions about sharing of knowledge. The types of questions on this platform/forum, for example, some can be easily answered and others are unanswerable. A simple answer has nothing to do with my income or customer base.

The music business, on the other hand, is quite different. Playing for no money is something I generally won't do, unless it's a class at a school, or a rehearsal band. A public occasion where a musician is wanted needs to be a paying gig, or I won't do it.

In the old days, repair men (and they generally were, thank goodness that has changed!) hung onto what they thought were their secrets and techniques. The only way you could get them was to apprentice and work in the shop. That's how I started.

These days the trade has shrunk so much that there are fewer shops and the knowledge is spread a lot more thinly than before. So as a member of NAPBIRT, for example, I've written some articles on various repair topics as a sort of attempt to pass down knowledge, for what it's worth.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: