• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet and the Rule of Three

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris.
I think those progressive books are what I need. Looking forward to them.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chis, in your book do you write out all those different scales in every key or do you provide an example and then ask the student to work out the different keys? Do your scale exercises always start on the lowest note and ascend first or do they sometimes start on the highest note? Are the chord arpeggios associated with each scale also part of the exercise?

Just questions of curiosity there. I think there are a lot of ways we should be practicing scales, but there seems to be a tendency to always practice them low to high and back down again. And while I feel it's very important to memorize scales, I also think that learning to read them in every key is beneficial for sight reading. These things are fairly easy to address with more advanced students, but for intermediate or beginners it's helpful to have them written down (and yes, I noticed your new book is for more advanced players, what are your plans for the intermediate and beginning students there?).

Chris OHara wrote:

I don't disagree with this, however, I stand firmly by the notion that "feeling good" while playing is a byproduct of "sounding good" and that chasing "feel" will never get you to the "sound" you want, in fact, it will often take you further away. Maybe you have a cold, or you're tired from the night before, etc. Just because it "feels" different, that should not effect how it "sounds." I've played many shows where things felt awful (especially when I had impacted wisdom teeth on tour - yikes!), but sounded great.

Sound > Feel

I guess I was too brief. I'm not talking about when you have a cold or have dental issues making things difficult. Personally, I think that if you are having inconsistent playing sensations from day to day (normal days), then it's worth investigating playing mechanics and see what's actually different from day to day.

This won't make much sense for folks who don't have a basic understanding of brass embouchure types, but as one example consider the two basic downstream embouchure types. It's very common for players belonging to either of these types to unconsciously switch between the two. Everything can sound and feel like it's working for them on a show, but then the next day it sounds and feels different. In the long term it's better for these players to consciously work out which way to play works best for them and to stick with it.

There are a few other situations I can think of that have a similar symptom of inconsistent feel. Again, I'm not suggesting that playing by sound is wrong or not a goal to work towards, but it depends on what the student is already doing and where he or she needs to go. Sometimes learning the feel of playing is more helpful than focusing on the sound.

Craig Swartz wrote:
Those who are "chasing" either feeling or sound are only reacting to what has already happened. Too late to fix things at that point.

I can't find the article I recall reading a while back, so maybe I'm misremembering things. I remember reading something a while back to talked about how the inherent delay in our vision (as the information travels along the optic nerve to the brain and is then processed) is enough that we shouldn't be able to catch a ball. But our brains alter our perception a bit by extrapolating and making what we see happen in our minds a millisecond quicker, so we are actually experiencing time a little bit ahead of our visual perception.

Take that with a grain of salt, as I could be imagining I read this. Plus I don't have any idea if our sound and tactile experience is similar.

Regardless of that aside, sound and feel are, I believe, important feedback tools for musicians. I agree that musicians shouldn't "chase" them, but neither should they be ignored or ranked on importance. Again, I think it comes down to how the student is currently playing and what direction they need to go.

Dave
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:

To buzz or not to buzz: if the player does not already know what pitch, dynamic, release (attack) nuance is necessary before starting the breath column, odds increase that what comes out will not be what he/she/it wants to hear.

+1 Hours of repetition, seeking and recognizing a specific, consistent set of actions necessary for specific, consistent results are achieved by many different paths according to my thinking! I am not a "buzzer", preferring to utilize the entire chain at once to achieve a consistent result, but all things trumpet are not a one size fits all kinda thing as is well established on this board regularly. Like many, I will continue to pursue a result by almost any means to attain that certain thrill that apparently only trumpet delivers!

Life is very Short, finding the Joy in it is most often reserved for the Seeker!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chis, in your book do you write out all those different scales in every key or do you provide an example and then ask the student to work out the different keys?

I'm not the author, of course, but I'll respond to factual questions as I have the book. The scale exercises are written out for each key. The major scale section includes 18 exercises per key, mainly from Arban's method, plus excerpts in that key. The minor scale section includes 16 exercises per key; no excerpts. It includes natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and jazz minor (ascending melodic minor). The modes and other scales section is less extensive, but again, the scales are written in each key.

Quote:
Do your scale exercises always start on the lowest note and ascend first or do they sometimes start on the highest note?

They all start from the lowest note, but many of the exercises have logical break points, making it easy to start from the highest note when desired.

Quote:
Are the chord arpeggios associated with each scale also part of the exercise?

There is a major triad exercise for each major key and a minor triad exercise for each minor key, but no other chord arpeggios, and none for the other modes and scales.
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:
Chis, in your book do you write out all those different scales in every key or do you provide an example and then ask the student to work out the different keys? Do your scale exercises always start on the lowest note and ascend first or do they sometimes start on the highest note? Are the chord arpeggios associated with each scale also part of the exercise?

The scales are initially presented "low to high and back down" but get various treatments in other exercises.

All of the scales are presented in all keys. I have found that while some students do well with "now apply this to other keys", many do not (I was one of these). The extended scales don't get as thorough a treatment as Major and minor...well, because the book is already ober 400 pages, and edits had to be made.

That being said, I also took the full book and broke it into those 3 main sections (1. Buzzing/Fundamentals, 2. Scales, 3. Music/Method application) and expanded each. We wanted to get the full book out and then see if there was interest in more of a "deep dive" than is already there.

Does that help/make sense?
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
while not everyone respond positively to mpc buzzing, free buzzing, leadpipe playing, other people find in these technics some ways to fix some parameters in their embouchure or lead themselves in the right technical way for playing, giving them a better vibration or response.

In sprint, observe a training only on plain track, and another training including sessions with cart (or trolley, i don't know the english word, sorry) and/or uphill sprints.
These two exercices don't allow you biomecanically to run like you'll do on the plain surface of the track, but they'll give you indeniable benefits.

For me, it's the same with mpc or free buzzing
Best
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinting doesn't require anywhere near the same amount of fine motor control as playing the trumpet so the metaphor is not that relevant imo.

It would be more like practicing sprinting on stilts or something or wearing boots that change the actual way you run for the analogy to work.

Am not for or against buzzing. I just don't think the analogy you made is a strong one in this case
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Hello
while not everyone respond positively to mpc buzzing, free buzzing, leadpipe playing, other people find in these technics some ways to fix some parameters in their embouchure or lead themselves in the right technical way for playing, giving them a better vibration or response.

In sprint, observe a training only on plain track, and another training including sessions with cart (or trolley, i don't know the english word, sorry) and/or uphill sprints.
These two exercices don't allow you biomecanically to run like you'll do on the plain surface of the track, but they'll give you indeniable benefits.

For me, it's the same with mpc or free buzzing
Best

I feel bad for you, Chris. You came here to share something you no doubt put a lot of effort into and it's turned into a tired debate about buzzing.

I hope you do get enough sales out of this post to make it worth the saintly levels of patience required
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, mostly to "Destructo"
My post was not at all against Chris O'Hara. At the opposite, since i use daily free buzzing and, for quick warm up 5mn mpc buzzing. I studied with Bobby Shew who teaches the benefits of these two tools.

Now, about sprinting (i'm a veteran sprinter), you would be surprised how "fine motor control" is needed and all the technicity and biomecanic envolved.
My point was to say that in some fields or some circumstances, someone can benefit from doing exercices a priori not relative (or very different, excuse my english not precise enough to translate my thought) to the specificities of the main activity.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
I feel bad for you, Chris. You came here to share something you no doubt put a lot of effort into and it's turned into a tired debate about buzzing.

I hope you do get enough sales out of this post to make it worth the saintly levels of patience required

If anything the debate sparked by this indicates that the topics discussed by Chris (and by extension, his publications) are definitely worth reading imho.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
JeffHager

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does buzzing a mouthpiece create a vibration that, when connected to a trumpet, is amplified into a louder sound? Sounds like a legitimate analogy to liken it to a picked string vibration being processed by an amp, yes?

If buzzing a mouthpiece works for some, then it cannot be entirely false that it helps some, yes? Is it better said that if buzzing a mouthpiece doesn't work for you, than it doesn't work FOR YOU?

There are many, many, many ways to play a trumpet. Miles, Dizzy and Herb broke most of the rules I learned growing up, and they all made a ton of cash.

Now, I am curious as to the rule of three, as that is how many things I can remember in one sitting anymore. LOL![/b]
Bright: Ideas
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffHager wrote:
Now, I am curious as to the rule of three, as that is how many things I can remember in one sitting anymore. LOL!

Ha! Me too! Just gonna have to get the book to find out....
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffHager wrote:
Now, I am curious as to the rule of three, as that is how many things I can remember in one sitting anymore. LOL![/b]

It means that every time before you practice, you do it in the name of Daddy-O, Laddy-O, and the Spook.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
JeffHager

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, will check it out, Chris, thanks, also of interest re “Buzzing” and how it works for some: https://www.wwbw.com/the-music-room/is-mouthpiece-buzzing-for-brass-players-really-that-important
Bright: Ideas
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffHager wrote:
Does buzzing a mouthpiece create a vibration that, when connected to a trumpet, is amplified into a louder sound? Sounds like a legitimate analogy to liken it to a picked string vibration being processed by an amp, yes? ...

-------------------------------
YES and NO (with explanation about when connected to trumpet)

If you continue to 'force' a buzz into the mouthpiece, the trumpet will likely react by producing a poor 'buzzing sound' out the bell.
If you try it, be sure to keep doing your 'forced buzz' into the mouthpiece - it's easy to start with a 'forced buzz' and then physically ADJUST to get the desired 'playing sound'. That adjustment is to stop doing 'forced buzzing' and to allow the trumpet itself (along with continued air flow) to make your lips vibrate according to the internal resonance of the trumpet.
Try doing 'forced buzzing' of a full major scale without valve usage.

About it being an analogy to a plucked string.
When a string is plucked it vibrates in its own physical manner.
With 'forced buzzing' the player is usually fighting against the physical resonance of the trumpet.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
If you continue to 'force' a buzz into the mouthpiece, the trumpet will likely react by producing a poor 'buzzing sound' out the bell.

Just to clarify (again), at no point do I suggest a "forced buzz" in my teaching or in the book. In fact, I talk about using as little effort as possible - letting the sound happen.

If you want to try a new approach that has proven success, get the book.

Happy trumpeting!
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been thinking about this debate a bit.

It has been put forward as a fact that buzzing the Mouthpiece is different than playing the actual instrument in the most free, 'efficient' way possible. I can't really dispute that claim. But it does make me wonder if understanding how and why people feel positively about it might be the revealing thing.

I think the most compelling argument is probably to do with accuracy. My guess is that Mouthpiece buzzing might help establish the 'onset' pressure and tension a note requires. And people who enjoy its benefits have learned to release the buzz as part of the follow through of an attack on the instrument, and quickly fall in sync with the resonance. I can see how this would be potentially very useful provided you Intuit that 'release' and don't continue to 'grip' the note the way mouthpiece buzzing seems to encourage (at least for me).

I suspect the trap here is that it also encourages you to manipulate for every note, something an approach like stamp which does incorporate buzzing is trying to get you away from. I think there is probably a useful way to do it, and lots of ways that it can be done counterproductively, which is why there is such a divide.

Chris - does any of that prompt any insights that might be useful to share for those who haven't clicked with buzzing in the past?
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris OHara wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Just to clarify (again), at no point do I suggest a "forced buzz" in my teaching or in the book. In fact, I talk about using as little effort as possible - letting the sound happen.

If you want to try a new approach that has proven success, get the book.

Happy trumpeting!

Isn’t any mouthpiece-only buzz a forced buzz?

My interpretation of ‘force’ is the effort (any effort) needed to buzz a mouthpiece alone with the lips, distinct from natural vibrations that occur when one blows air into a mouthpiece coupled with an instrument (see post 3 of this thread).

Last edited by poketrum on Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:22 am; edited 4 times in total
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Chris - does any of that prompt any insights that might be useful to share for those who haven't clicked with buzzing in the past?

My approach starts with some very basic shapes - easy, connected, and flowing. This moves into Ear-training.

Accuracy/Ear-training is a big part of the Buzzing/Fundamentals portion of the book. It is set up so that it can be done on the mouthpiece or the trumpet. The book takes the player on a process to really "read" music...explained in more detail in the book.

I prefer the mouthpiece, and here is why: the mouthpiece is a lie detector. A lot of people rely on the trumpet to help tell them where a note should sit. When playing the mouthpiece, it's all on you. If you can buzz a tune or passage exactly right on the mouthpiece, it will play better on the trumpet because every note goes where it is supposed to with no guessing. Pedagogues like Jacobs and Rocco advocate the idea of playing tunes in this same way.

There are those who say that you buzz a different pitch than you play. This is simply not true. As part of my initial lesson with a student, I demonstrate how putting the mouthpiece into the trumpet while buzzing, produces a clear, open sound - at the exact pitch (you can even get the pitch you want with the wrong fingering).
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buzz, but only pitched to "B".

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: