• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb trumpets, Eb cornets and Eb flugels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tp2038

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Eb trumpets, Eb cornets and Eb flugels Reply with quote

What are the difference among Eb trumpet, Eb cornets and Eb flugels other than looks and mechanical aspects.

Does Eb trumpet with a deeper mouthpiece produce Eb cornet sounds?
Does Eb cornet with a deeper mouthpiece produce Eb flugel sounds?
Does Eb cornet with a shallower mouthpiece produce Eb trumpet sounds?
Does Eb trumpet with a very deep cup (like Bob Reeves C2J and Curry TF) will produce Eb Flugel sounds?

Of course appearance is important. If a long Eb trumpet is used in a British Style Brass Band, it does not look good.

I do not want to buy 3 Eb horns. I think one Eb horn is enough hoping one Eb horn can serve as Eb trumpet, Eb cornet and Eb flugel.

Appreciate your input.
fitzpatrick83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop with all the Eb's please.

Yours,
Mr. FitzPatrick

I OWN YOU!
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eb trumpets, Eb cornets and Eb flugels Reply with quote

My thoughts inserted below:

tp2038 wrote:

NO, but you can fool some people.
Does Eb trumpet with a very deep cup (like Bob Reeves C2J and Curry TF) will produce Eb Flugel sounds?

Hope that helps!
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give up on the idea of a Eb trumpet, flugel and cornet and then just get an Eb tenor horn. That way you can go to another forum and pester them with all these questions
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eb trumpets, Eb cornets and Eb flugels Reply with quote

tp2038 wrote:
Where Eb cornet is used EVERYBODY knows what it's supposed to sound like so you'll never get away with it.
tp2038 wrote:
I don't think hardly anyone knows what a Eb flugel sounds like so have at.
tp2038 wrote:
Where Eb trumpet is used EVERYBODY knows what it's supposed to sound like so you'll never get away with it.
tp2038 wrote:
See #2 above

If you're likely to play soprano in a BBB you'll need to get the cornet.

If you're more likely to play the standard trumpet literature you'll need to get the Eb trumpet.

I have no idea where an Eb flugel is required but I'm sure it'd be fun to own one.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Eb trumpets, Eb cornets and Eb flugels Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
tp2038 wrote:
Where Eb cornet is used EVERYBODY knows what it's supposed to sound like so you'll never get away with it.
tp2038 wrote:
I don't think hardly anyone knows what a Eb flugel sounds like so have at.
tp2038 wrote:
Where Eb trumpet is used EVERYBODY knows what it's supposed to sound like so you'll never get away with it.
tp2038 wrote:
See #2 above

If you're likely to play soprano in a BBB you'll need to get the cornet.

If you're more likely to play the standard trumpet literature you'll need to get the Eb trumpet.

I have no idea where an Eb flugel is required but I'm sure it'd be fun to own one.

Very well put, no better explanation needed!!
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's taken years, but I finally own one of each of the high Eb instruments mentioned. bike&ed spoke the truth. They're not interchangeable, and you can't really make one sound like the other with a mouthpiece change.

For a tenor horn, I've got a Couesnon solo alto, which looks a lot like an overgrown flugelhorn. And, yes, every one of them is a lot of fun to play. For me, the trumpet version is the least fun, but that's probably due to the literature. Best bet is to figure out what you want to play, in what sort of ensemble, and shop accordingly. Only a fool like me needs all of them.
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a variety of E-flat soprano Cornets, Trumpets, and only one E-flat Flugel(there is a bit of debate as to what this thing actually is).

I have never played an E-flat in the BBB that really sings for me (the Schilke is really nice, but the getzen and Yam is what was in my budget at the time). Someone said that if you are playing in a BBB you need the cornet, and that is true: because those are the rules they have laid out. No trumpets! No french horns!

And now, for the "other" trumpet. I found this little horn, and its odd bell taper a few months ago. I am not the artist that some here on TH are. I do, however, know what I like. Someone else seems to agree with my tastes. The horn is being played by the top trumpet players in two national symphonies. They are wanting to use it in a concert instead of their very nice name brand horns.

The explanantion to me is, that is sounds bigger than a soprano trumpet. It sounds big, and can be pushed. I like it because it is in tune. So this "other" horn can be used I think any where but in a BBB. WHen things slow down for me, I will post some pictures, and a proper review. Until then, send me a PM and I can shoot you a quick photo.

The more horns the better! Cheers, TK1031
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: