• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece dream

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece dream Reply with quote

I had a dream last night about a trumpet mouthpiece. Found the mouthpiece on a night table belonging to a woman of questionable virtue. Mouthpiece being so interesting that I stopped giving my friend much attention. Odd.

The rim was slanted inwards, high point on the outside edge. The surface resembles the Lynch Asymetric except the fat end had a little indentation at "6 o'clock". Instead of being fully flat it sent a 3/16th of an inch square groove from the fat side down into the cup.

It made a Double C play as easy as an E above High C. Albeit with some negatives. I didn't like the weird rim edge as it was too flat. Plus there was little to no softening of the harsh outer and inner rim edges but the thing played a Double C fairly easily.

Then I played the thing again and realized that the mouthpiece had compromised my volume. In order to get the notes above High G easier it had lopped off some volume from the rest of my range below. Made it harder to get a solid double forte on a High C. So I decided it wasn't worth it. And hard to get around on the mouthpiece. Flexibility suffered. Same complaint as I've always had with the Lynch.

But the idea did give me some thought. If the fat end of a Lynch were given just a slight 3/16th of an inch groove it might facilitate better range. Reason I believe so is difficult to explain. Has to do with the squirrely nature of notes above High G for some trumpet players.

Maybe Dr. Dave can provide some words here.

The rest of the dream isn't printable on a family forum. That was shortly before the point when I woke up...
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The rest of the dream isn't printable

You made love to a mouthpiece? I suppose you could put lipstick on a mthpce....

no signature
Jetrang
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would feel a bit embarassed posting this.....

Im obsessed with music and trumpet all day long but night time is for dreaming about pretty woman and cars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: