• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking the Cornet Plunge!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hvand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Taking the Cornet Plunge! Reply with quote

About every other year or so, I put on a recital for charity. I like to include Cornet pieces but I've always done them on trumpet ( ). I decided to put an end to this charade and purchase a vintage instrument.

... ok, my wife was gracious enough to let me buy a vintage instrument ...

I bought an Olds Super (LA) cornet from joefab through the TH marketplace. (BTW, he's a great guy). Now, I won't be able to see the horn until Christmas, but I would be interested in people's ideas about mouthpieces. I know that differences in MPC can lead to differences in sound ... but that's where my knowledge stops. I'm not even sure what MPC fits in the thing.

Any suggestions, resources, ideas appreciated (including ideas about care and maintenance).

I'll use it for Boling's Toot Suite this spring - it should be fun.

Hank
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hank,

I don't know if I'm qualified to advise someone who actually plays for money in a real symphony, but I am something of a cornet geek . . . a "V" cup mpc, maybe with a somewhat enlarged throat, would be the typical mouthpiece of choice for a classic cornet sound . . . something like a Curry DC or VC or BBC, depending on how far in that direction you want to go. The Bach cornet mouthpieces, AFAIK are not so much "V" cups, but some other manufacturers make pieces similar to the Currys. Wick, of course, is the classic British cornet sound. . . . Sparx is great, too . . .

I applaud you for playing a charity recital . . . sounds like great fun! I'll sit back and see what the cornet mavens suggest . . . hey, good luck on the recital!!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Curry BBC cup. Try a "normal" cornet mouthpiece in the horn, and I bet it wobbles around. Ask the seller, he should know if it has the older, large-shank Olds receiver. Curry has to be able to make those?
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes vintage mpcs on vintage horns match well...I've got an HN White cornet from the 40s and use an HN White cornet mouthpiece with it. It just so happens that they both compliment each other quite well.

Hope that advice was of some sort of help
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds Super cornet plays on the bright side of the cornet spectrum. If you want a good contrast between it and a trumpet, you'll want to go deep on a cornet mouthpiece, something like the Curry BBC series. Speaking of mouthpieces, the L.A. Olds cornets before 1959 or so had an oddball-sized mouthpiece receiver. Modern cornet mouthpieces will be too small to fit correctly, so if you have an older cornet, you'll need a mouthpiece made with the "Olds" shank.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I'll second the Curry BBC cup. Try a "normal" cornet mouthpiece in the horn, and I bet it wobbles around. Ask the seller, he should know if it has the older, large-shank Olds receiver. Curry has to be able to make those?

If you have the serial number on the horn, you can quickly determine if it will need a larger "olds shank" mouthpiece or not.

And Mark Curry can definitely make them, he's made several for me to use with both SR and Recording model cornets form the 40s and 50s.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds S/N 189,611. I think that's the breakpoint for old/new = large/standard diameter cornet shanks.
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: DW5881-RW2 Reply with quote

Recently bought a brand new old stock Denis Wick RW2 (Roger Webster series size 2) cornet piece in original gold plate from Dillon Music for the astounding price of $30. It sounds fantastic. RW's are discontinued and Dillons is trying to clear their old stock of size 2, so silvers are $25, golds are $30. Call Jim McCombs 732-587-6272.

Haven't seen those prices for new quality mpc's since I was a kid.
entrancing1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is truly an LA Super ( they used LA stamped tone rings long after the move to Fullerton) it will require a mouthpiece with the large Old's shank. a cost effective option is it have a tech swap out the receiver for a standard cornet receiver. The horn would no longer be "original" but you would have a lot more flexibility in mouthpieces to say nothing of the extra expense and wait time of ordering a custom 'piece every time you want to try a new one.
I've done that to an LA ambassador that I own and have questioned my decision not to do it to a Recording cornet.
Old's (many) Trumpets, and cornets, Yamaha 668 and King Eroica French horns, King Liberty, Conn, 40A 40B, Conn 80A, Buescher 400 cornet and trumpet, model 9 and model 10-22 trumpets, Olds Flugelhorn, Kanstul CCT 920 Picc.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entrancing1 wrote:
If it is truly an LA Super ( they used LA stamped tone rings long after the move to Fullerton) it will require a mouthpiece with the large Old's shank

....or contact Mark Curry for a cornet mouthpiece.

He can make them with the Olds shank and his turnaround time is excellent.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
hvand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions ... I knew the TH would come through.

The serial number is 4646. In fact, the horn is still on the marketplace site. Click here to see it.

I suspect that it will require a modified mouthpiece. I like the idea of talking to Mark Curry. I'm a little nervous about changing the shank though I will keep it in mind.

Thanks, Hank
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice horn! Yeah, something that old probably shouldn't be modified with a different receiver. Just get Mark Curry to make you a cornet mouthpiece with the "Olds" shank and enjoy it. Tell him what trumpet mouthpiece(s) you play and what you want to accomplish with the cornet and he will give you some good suggestions.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Georgia Brown!!
Nice choice.
Enjoy that one.

Let the mouthpiece safari begin.

With the receiver limitation, you'd be well advised to find what works, then get one or maybe a pair of screw-top shanks. Why? Just a hunch, but you'll want to explore the timbre. Ed.: the timbre differences you'll get from different cups.

FWIW, and while you're waiting, the Wick 4FL and the Getzen flugel mpcs have a taper that will do OK in a pinch.
entrancing1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
entrancing1 wrote:
If it is truly an LA Super ( they used LA stamped tone rings long after the move to Fullerton) it will require a mouthpiece with the large Old's shank

-Dave

He has yet to answer an email I sent nearly 4 weeks ago inquiring about a mouthpiece with an Olds shank. I could not comment on his turnaround time.
Old's (many) Trumpets, and cornets, Yamaha 668 and King Eroica French horns, King Liberty, Conn, 40A 40B, Conn 80A, Buescher 400 cornet and trumpet, model 9 and model 10-22 trumpets, Olds Flugelhorn, Kanstul CCT 920 Picc.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entrancing1 wrote:
qcm wrote:
entrancing1 wrote:

-Dave

He has yet to answer an email I sent nearly 4 weeks ago inquiring about a mouthpiece with an Olds shank. I could not comment on his turnaround time.

My experience is that a PM here is somewhat better than email.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember a recent thread where Mr. Curry indicated he would be out of touch for a little while to take care of some family obligations. The search function will show a lot of favorable reviews for both his mouthpieces and his customer service. If you can hold out for a little while, I would suggest you try again after Thanksgiving - I imagine your patience will be rewarded.
entrancing1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Nice horn! Yeah, something that old probably shouldn't be modified with a different receiver. Just get Mark Curry to make you a cornet mouthpiece with the "Olds" shank and enjoy it.

Agreed!
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them all. Bach's Curry's Stork's Wick's Boston cookie cutter's. etc etc. Get a Sparx in your size, and you'll love it. Made by GR, They improve sound, and technique. Amazing!
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most custom mouthpiece makers will probably make a mouthpiece with the oversized Olds cornet shank on request. Most of the ones I've had made are by Mark Curry - great mouthpieces, excellent selection, great price and very reasonable surcharge (depending on how/where you order it). In addition, I've had a couple of backbores made by Warburton and a complete Parduba mouthpiece made by Dick Akright's crew at Best in Oakland - and neither of those even charged extra for the modification. I've also run across the occasional vintage Bach mouthpiece with a tell-tale "O" marking, although they're harder to find.

Point being: there's no need to change the receiver on a vintage Olds cornet - the mouthpiece makers have stepped up and continue to provide some great choices.
entrancing1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since ordered a custom Olds shank mouthpiece from Mark Curry Through the private message service on this forum. He had it made and shipped in two days. I've had Bach make one custom, 6-8 weeks, and I had Schilke make one. The turnaround time with Schilke was good, a week or two, but I had to ship the cornet to them so that they could take measurements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: