• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson vs Monette

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
You can no more A_B a Harrelson and Monette then you can A-B a Porsche GT and Ford Mustang!!! I mean they are that radically different just because they both have gasoline powered engine four tires and a steering wheel do not make them A-B material!

Seriously who builds a valve assembly like Monette?, WHo builds a $6000+ dollar pro trumpet with a two piece bell besides Monette? Who builds a trumpet with bell stem, knuckles and other associated tubing as thick in the walls as Monette? Obviously I am talking about his modern designs not his original products. You can not compare a product that is out in left field all by itself with no one else doing anything more then coping the external appearance with anything else. You might as well tryt o compare a modern compound bow with carbon fiber arrow shafts and razor sharp high carbon steel broad heads with ancient American Indian bow's. ANy side by side comparison would be almost a total waste of time if the products differer that extremely in their basic engineering design.

Maybe you guys do not fully understand the engineering differences but they are huge and most of that is because Monette like most prefer's voodoo esoteric marketing over scientific marketing. If he did too much scientific marketing he would have to give away a lot of his perceived trade secrets. Even the names he gives his trumpets are steeped in Mysticism and Meta-Physics and Esoteric Arcane Spiritual beliefs. I am sure I will get in trouble for explaining this but Tantra the name of his latest 4 valve extended range Bb trumpet he made for Adam Rappa has it's name derived from "Tantric" and the older "Shakti" and so on cover a lot of ground from Spiritual Mundane of the Universe and it's creation and sustenance to intimate relations between a man and women as means of Spiritual Enlightenment and Expression by controlling bodily functions and Energy Perseverance based on Intimate energies in mans body all draped in a convuluded spiritualism.......ALso tied to Eastern Mysticism and Esoteric Shamanic Alternative Health Practices....So event he names have Voodoo Esoteric connotations.......SO while Monette puts a lot of science in his designs he leaves most of it out of his marketing!

I can put a fiberglass body that looks like a Ferrari on a Volkswagen chassis but it once you get past the surface it is nothing like the real thing.

Do you have $6000+ for a Monette if so why waste you time on anything else? No one that is seriously in the market for a Monette would consider a Harrelson. That is like someone looking at a Bently or Rolls Royce and a Cadillac no really the same market are they? ONly a few hundred thousand dollars difference.....I am guessing a Harrelson would be considered SLumming for those that can afford a Monette.

If someone has a closet full of Monettes and Harreslon choking their closet space or pole barn space and you want to lend me one on an extended loan basis let me know! I will gladly give you my address! If anyone has a Monette they want me to take apart and measure again do let me know!LOL

I can readily A-B it against my old Olds, Jupiter,Holtons,Buescher's and the like!LOL

Sorry I find the idea of an A-B comparison between two almost funny.

I love reviews of either product just do not see them as A-B material is all. Just wanted to point out why serious go take a look at the latest on his site do look at the commemorative made from production parts and such....It is very telling to anyone that has ever taken a horn apart.

You need to choke your chicken more!!
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get throught that. I'm already reading a book.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
trmptz wrote:
Quote:
Really long post

YAWNNNN!!!!

Which is more annoying?

- Really long post
- Really long post quoted in it's entirety for a single word comment

*yawn*

*sigh*

Actually, I was wrong the correct answer is:

- Really long post quoted in it's entirety for short pointless comments, twice.

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago a friend was trying a couple of different mpc and horn combos. He asked his musician wife to help him with her ears. Finally, after some time of A vs B vs C she said, "Honey, they all sound like a trumpet." I remember that statement every time I get immersed in similar equipment sound differences. The average person doesn't give a d.... They just want to hear music.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
40cal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a monette and a harrelson. At no time did I feel as if I was "slumming".
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40cal wrote:
I own a monette and a harrelson. At no time did I feel as if I was "slumming".

Back to the OP's question: how do they compare?
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Harrelson vs Monette Reply with quote

laurent wrote:
Hi guys!

We all know that both Harrelson and Monette are producing heavy horns whose conception is widely based on acoustics, thus I'm wondering wether there are any similarities in sound, playability, etc, between their respective instruments...

Has anyone played horns from both of these makers? How do they compare?

Two pages of hot air, and only two responses that actually addresses the O/P's question:

mcahynuacrkd wrote:
They look more alike than they sound alike. In my opinion, Monette trumpets sound better.

EdMann wrote:
I played an Ajna II for two weeks and couldn't get much out of it. The sound just flopped on the floor, DINK!

I've had a Harrelson Bravura for months now, and it's a pleasure if I keep it up. The sound can be massaged (1 pipe, 6 bell, whatever that means) to a panoply of sound and while Jason had some pretty iffy instruments back in the day, he's got horns with signature sounds, but they must be played.

During a brass quintet yesterday, I started with my Selmer Paris K-Mod and after an hour switched out to the Brav during a particular piece, and while the group thought it sounded fine, the articulation, centering, general agility just wasn't there. Second time through the piece with the Selmer, viola. The Brav was singin' today after a dose of Arbans, but again, in the balance, the Monette I played didn't perform for me, the Bravura did/does.

Back to our regularly scheduled prayer book.

ed

I'll assist in the attempt to re-direct the thread and chime in with my limited experience. I've played several Monette Pranas and a Harrelson Bravura (can't remember the bell or leadpipe configuration to save my life...sorry). I have not played them side by side, but I did play each of them next to my Bach LB/25 Bell, so I'll use that as my launching point for comparison and extrapolate from there. The one thing worth noting is that I was able to play the Bravura with my normal mouthpiece (a GR in the 1-1/2C range). Monette horns have a different receiver that will not accept a standard mouthpiece shank, so I played the Pranas with whatever their owners were using (can't remember specifics, but none were too far from a 1-1/2 rim). FWIW...

BRAVURA:
The Bravura sound was a little warmer than my Bach at comfortable playing levels, bit it lit up more quickly when pushed (it spun just a little *too* hard, perhaps). The scale was very even from low to high...very easy blow and terrific valves. My only complaint was that the response was just a tad slow compared to my Bach, but again, I only played one possible configuration. I'd be optimistic that things could be tweaked for my liking if I wanted to explore them further, but I honesty don't know if I'd come away with something that I like *better* than my Bach.

PRANA:
The Pranas I've tried are simply ridiculous, but they would definitely take some getting used to. The blow is very different than my Bach. Not in a good or bad way...just different. The Pranas feel pretty open, but nothing felt out of balance. I didn't get to play for an extended period of time on them, so I'm not sure whether I'd struggle with endurance or not. Then there is the sound. The Pranas all gave a really colorful sound that has chameleon type qualities. I've never played a horn that has such a wide variety of readily accessible tone colors...I just felt like it would do exactly what I asked it to do at the moment I needed to do it. I can easily say that neither my Bach nor the Bravura have this kind of "sonic flexibility" (for lack of a better descriptive term). The response is pretty fast as well...surprising for such a heavy horn.

THE VERDICT:
If money were no object, I'd go with the Prana just for the sound possibilities. When considering price, the Bravura is a very nice horn, but I think I'd stick with my Bach LB/25 bell.

Paul
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, some of you guys go on and on speculating, but where are the comparisons? I started out playing a Getzen cornet, then a 60's Bach Strad that played worse than the cornet. Over the years I have owned 7 Monettes including the Ajna II. I have built nearly 800 Harrelson trumpets and have owned every major brand of trumpet encompassing over 200 various models. Besides owning and playing these instruments, I measured them. I have templates and specs on most leadpipes, bells and tuning slides from most of the more than 1000 horns I have owned and built.

I have a few comments related to previous posts, then on to comparisons...

1) YOU will not always sound like YOU on every horn.

If this were true, why would anyone buy a new horn before it fell apart? To expound on my assertion, the physical design of each instrument in some part determines the sound aside of the player's physical attributes. To take this one step further, would YOU sound like YOU on a tuba compared to a trumpet? Using a tuba as an example is extreme, but trumpet designs have for the most part remained nearly unchanged over the course of history. Very few instruments are built with original (and intentional) acoustic properties. Monette and Harrelson trumpets are definitely an exception to this rule. The range of variation in acoustic design among factory built horns is relatively small. Most manufacturers offer(ed) variations on bore size, mouthpiece shanks, leadpipe and bell tapers and tuning slide shapes. However, the mainstream sales numbers gravitated towards Bach/Besson tapers and inside diameters resulting in most trumpets sounding very similar. Will YOU sound like YOU on any number of factory built instruments? There's a good chance that you will. However, should you want to brighten, darken or broaden your sound spectrum considerably, there are modern instruments that will make you sound drastically different than YOU. Not everyone has this goal, which is why I build each instrument to match the playing preferences of each individual client. You do not see Harrelson trumpets available in music stores for this reason. Could I sell a thousand horns a year with worldwide distribution? Of course, but my goal is to work with each of you individually building something unique, special and of the highest quality. YOU can sound like WHO YOU WANT by changing more than a mouthpiece, this is a fact.

2) Comparing Harrelson and Monette trumpets is not a simple exercise with an accurate or applicable outcome when playing two random horns or when based on a third party experience.

This is due to the fact that none of these horns were designed to be "stock" cookie cutter production instruments. Monette builds every horn one at a time taking the time, measurements and careful production techniques necessary to ensure each instrument is of the highest quality possible. I do the same when I build every new Harrelson. But what isn't apparent when you test one of my horns is the specific intention of the design of THAT PARTICULAR HORN. You could compare a hundred different BRAVURAS to a PRANA and find that they all play distinctively different from one another. How then could you compare them to anything? And what then do you compare them to? Ideally, you would compare a Bravura built to your specifications to a Monette built to your specifications and then post your response for all to read.

3) You get what you pay for...or do you?

Is a $6000 Monette twice as great as a $3000 Bravura? And if so, is it then six times better than a used Bach? Maybe. But consider the following. The price of a product is typically set based on a business model which takes account for expenses of all types. I know for a fact that the Bravura plays just as well as a comparable Monette (most of the 900 and Prana series instruments). How do I know? Because I know my competition. I've owned and played on Dave's horns extensively as well as numerous other horns from companies around the world. Do I build horns that are copies of Monettes? Absolutely not. My design model encompasses physics research, real life playing, extensive experimentation and each client's individual needs.

Back to the original question, the Harrelson Bravura is 1/2 the cost simply because I produce a comparable quality instrument at a lower cost. I build every instrument myself, thus reducing the cost of physical labor. I use a combination of cnc production techniques and proprietary manual production at a faster rate than Monette, which allows my cost to be much more reasonable. However, you are comparing two American companies building the highest quality products available. Can you really put a price on Made in USA? When will we end the "cheaper is better" mentality and support fellow Americans striving to create and maintain jobs in our own country? Price can be important when buying laundry soap and socks, but when it comes to your musical passion give yourself some credit. Do you drive a Kia because it's cheap? If so, then you should have some $ leftover for a Monette!

MONETTE vs HARRELSON COMPARISON

My response to this thread is simple. Attend the ITG Conference in Minneapolis next spring and compare both brands back to back yourself. There is no way you can fully understand or relate to a fellow TH member's response to this thread. Trying two horns yourself is the answer to this question. With that in mind, you are all welcome to try my latest Modular Bravura and Summit trumpets as the demos are completed in the coming weeks. Just give Paul a call and he'll get you on our waiting list at no charge.

Thanks for reading,
Jason Harrelson
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe another take on this comparison worth factoring in:

Of the two, which of the choices has the best chance of being delivered to you while you're still young enough to enjoy it?
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! While moving my ENTIRE shop in the past year and setting up several new machines, my waiting list lagged on some orders dependent on specific configurations. However, with the exception of the #7 bell instruments, my waiting list is 40-60 days on almost all instrument orders.

This is achieved by limiting the number of orders we accept in any given period of time to ensure quicker turnaround times.

Getting slammed with 80-100 orders within one or two months has been a real burden on my business in the past. Our new policy ensures new customers wait around 2 months or less. Please keep in mind that custom art projects (like our current Gravity trumpet) are always subject to longer production schedules.

Jason
swingshift
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another point...as jason said...every horn is different...my summit has a beautiful even scale...SUPER in tune....(i may have a bit to do with that but i don't have to try so hard to keep it there)...I have a buddy who's monette has a flat d on the staff...always...so, even a $6000 horn can have issues..its a piece of equipment...i don't think you can compare them from a quality standpoint...jasons work is exceptional as is dave's...price sure is different...but more and more people are discovering harrelson..2 more coming to my home town in the next month or so and I'm ordering a new C trumpet to match my summit...sooo, just like dave...jason started small...and is growing...both great makers...jasons are less expensive (for now!) so get the horn that makes you sound good and you enjoy playing that you are willing to pay for ...Me...I'd much rather have 2 harrelsons for $6k than one monette...
by the way...i have played both...loved the monette...but i really love my summit...ask anyone...ask the 3 local guys who just ordered horns from jason after trying mine...he makes some great stuff or all my friends wouldn't be dumpin' some cash jason's direction!
yamaha 631 flug
jin bao rotary piccolo trumpet
wedge 5BC 25 and 5DC 25 with heavyweight Barrel ML shank
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Jason. Thanks for the feedback.

JasonHarrelson wrote:

Is a $6000 Monette twice as great as a $3000 Bravura?..

The only problem is that you can't get a new Monette for $6,000...
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] custom art projects (like our current Gravity trumpet) [quote]

Will there be a complementary model named the "Levity" trumpet?

jbq
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a buddy who's monette has a flat d on the staff...always...so, even a $6000 horn can have issues..

He's probably not acclimated.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted on Trumpet Herald,
January 04, 2010...

JasonHarrelson wrote:
I am saddened to say that I will no longer participate in TH discussions in the future.

AndyLott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by AndyLott on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Dave's shop a couple of years ago and he is a first class operation. However, aren't Monette's typically offered in a few predefined models? Dave has a definte concept of sound and playing, and that is reflected in his horns. Yes, I did play a couple Monettes, but I can't remember much about how they played other than even the really heavy ones were very responsive. I don't know if Dave does much in the way of custom building horns to fit a player. The approach seems more of making the player fit the horn, which works very well for many players.

Jason has an entirely different idea. Though he has different models, they are mainly custom builds. You work with him to pick a leadpipe and a bell based on your playing and sound concept. Jason works to fit the player to the horn. I have played one Bravura, but I really can't compare it to anything. I did like the blow of the #6 LP with the round tuning slide, but I wasn't crazy about the sound of the ES bell on that horn. I DID like how it fixed my inotnation issues--G and A on top of the staff sharp, E below flat, etc. To that end I have Bravura on oder with a #6 LP and a different bell that will produce more of the sound I am looking for.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had very limited personal experience with Monette instruments but enough of the big boys play them to indicate that they must be very special instruments. One main reason I've never looked into a Monette for personal use (besides the price) is that my understanding is that you pretty much have to use Monette mouthpieces with them and I've never played a Monette that I liked (settle down-- I'm sure they're fine, just not for me).

That being said I've owned a Bravura and a HT3 withe the #1 leadpipe and #3 bell, his "standard" config. along with other options. Both were outstanding. The best trumpet player in the midwest Stan Kessler plays a Bravura and that's a huge endorsement in my opinion. He knows his stuff.

I recently had a second HT3 made with the #4 lead pipe and #4 bell-- tweaking some things I wanted to change with my previous HT3 and I tell you, it's one heck of a nice trumpet. If you take advantage of some of Harrelson's fire sales you can get a very good deal on what is in my opinion one of the very finest trumpets money can buy, price be hanged. As far as the wait, I have a friend who waited over a year for a Schilke B1 and didn't get any updates on its progress at all. So the few months wait for a custom made trumpet made just how you like it from Harrelson (for probably considerably less than a new Schilke) doesn't sound bad to me. Harrelson has had some customer service problems to be sure, and I've had some rough spots dealing with them in the past myself but the main thing is he seems to be trying to improve and they're legitimate... no fly by night outfit ripping people off. You get what you pay for and what is still a very under appreciated instrument to boot.

You can check out my new updated self aggrandizing web site gearhead page here:

http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com/photo3.html
Kofipoiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

"Every fine player develops his own trademark and sounds pretty much the same no matter what instrument, mouthpiece, or music he performs."

If you think about it, when you hear an audio clip of a famous player, you can usually pick out who it is if you are familiar with their other work just by their play style. Many of them change horns and mouthpieces over the years, yet we still know who they are.

A very good exemple of this is Tomasz Stanko. I just received his CD "Suspended Night" where he is playing his new Monette (I think at the moment when the CD was recorded this instrument was quite new to him). When comparing this CD to his older ones, it is quite impossible to say (without knowing for sure, of course) that he is not playing his old Schilke anymore - but you can easily recognise his tone, his music, his personality!
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
A couple of years ago a friend was trying a couple of different mpc and horn combos. He asked his musician wife to help him with her ears. Finally, after some time of A vs B vs C she said, "Honey, they all sound like a trumpet." I remember that statement every time I get immersed in similar equipment sound differences. The average person doesn't give a d.... They just want to hear music.

After so many years and so many trumpets, this is the MOST appropriate answer in my experience.
You're going to sound and play like YOU, doesn't matter what horn you're holding - granted, it's sure fun trying them all out, and the better horns do help make it easier![b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: