• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson vs Monette

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
between those two brands, the answer is none of the above.
i would start with a standard weight instrument, so it can easily be lived with, and one of the other premier fabricators.
too many people have two harrelsons, couldn't get it right the first time perhaps, or a harrelson they don't play but they play something else. too many other factories really understand trumpet building to an exquisite level to weight a sale over to monette.
all you need to do is figure out what style of music you are playing, and order the trumpet that's made to that purpose.
..chuck

Interesting reply, but far from accurate...conjecture at best. Why do so many people own two or three Harrelson Trumpets? Well, why does anyone choose to repeat business with any company?

Jason
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly cannot take your response seriously. Every single Harrelson Trumpet includes a full 12-month guarantee meaning you can trade the horn in for a different configuration at no charge. The 909 has not been in production for three years, but even then our 12-month guarantee was valid.

All of my trumpets are custom built to fit each specific client so one size does not fit all, but to imply I stuck someone with something they did not like is a blatant disregard for the truth. I stand behind every one of my horns that have been custom built for my clients.

Mellowjazz, your incredibly rude and dismissive words do nothing positive for anyone. At the very least, you come across as angry and disgruntled. Did I do something to offend you?

Jason Harrelson

mellowjazz wrote:
JasonHarrelson wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
between those two brands, the answer is none of the above.
i would start with a standard weight instrument, so it can easily be lived with, and one of the other premier fabricators.
too many people have two harrelsons, couldn't get it right the first time perhaps, or a harrelson they don't play but they play something else. too many other factories really understand trumpet building to an exquisite level to weight a sale over to monette.
all you need to do is figure out what style of music you are playing, and order the trumpet that's made to that purpose.
..chuck

Interesting reply, but far from accurate...conjecture at best. Why do so many people own two or three Harrelson Trumpets? Well, why does anyone choose to repeat business with any company?

Jason

Chuck's reply was extremely accurate and I have seen several examples of this. A player orders/buys a very expensive copper 909 or similar model from Harrelson, then can't even sell it for $3000 (way under purchase price) ! Lists it repeatedly, does consignments, but can't get anyone to buy it. Sends it out for trials, always gets sent back with a "no thank you" and "thoroughly unimpressed as the notes...Bell is too small for the heavy weight design, finger hooks are all too small, placement is a little off, and just cumbersome to hold and play. Wrong sound, too heavy. Wrong feel. Eventually gives up on Harrelson altogether and moves to another maker and just has to take a ridiculous loss on the horn as a trade-in built to more exacting standards.. These horns don't hold their value at all, while Taylors and, certainly, Monettes do admirably. They look nice, though. Very slick, artistic designs, but just a crap shoot if you actually buy one.

DR S

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I wish I could write here with my comparison of a Monette and a Harrelson, but I have never played a Monette. I have, however, recently purchased a Bravura trumpet from Harrelson. Jason's horns are extremely well made and he is truly a master craftsman in the trumpet trade.

I know this, and what most everyone has responded with, is not what the original post is about. But I have seen too much Jason bashing and unfounded comments in this posting and others, and I just wanted to chime in supporting Jason's work. Unless you have dealt with Jason, or own one of his horns, I can't see how you can critique or criticize him or his product.

My first pro horn was a Benge Claude Gordon and I absolutely loved it. I swore I would never own a Bach, because I never played one I liked, until I came across one with a 25lr leadpipe and a 43 bell. Loved it more than the Benge, which then became my backup horn. Bought a Martin Committee Deluxe, black with gold engraving. Absolutely gorgeous, great valves, but still liked my Bach better. Tried a Carol Brass 5000 yst and kept it. Loved it even more than the Bach (which I no longer own).

Got in touch with Jason to see about purchasing a Bravura trumpet. Decided on the #1lt bell, and the #1 leadpipe, and lightweight valve caps. I traded in my Benge and Martin and was able to afford the Bravura because of Jason's generous offer for the two horns. After receiving the Bravura, I knew I had now obtained the last trumpet I'd need or want. It's a wonderful horn, and quite a number of my trumpet acquiantances that have played it have been floored by it. This trumpet was ordered in November, 2012, and I received it within 3 months. It's a little heavier than what I had been playing, but it sits well in the hands and is very balanced, and the little bit of extra weight is not that noticeable. I don't know how to put up pictures on this site, but if anyone would like to see my trumpet, either go to ebay, look under Harrelson trumpets, and find the Bravura with the brushed silver plating. Or, go to Jason's website and look at the Bravura with the brushed silver plating. The pictures are great, and the trumpet is even better looking in person. Plays like a dream, valves are the smoothest of any trumpet I've played.

Sorry about being off the subject and the long post. I'm just tired of reading too many negative comments about Jason. Thank you Jason for what you have done for the trumpet community, and keep up the great work you do.
Yamaha Custom Picc.
Yamaha Flugelhorn
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jason!

I've been experimenting with Flip's accessory heavy top and bottom caps and stems lately. I have a full set of three different sizes of bottom caps and a set of top caps and stems. I think I've developed a bit more respect for your work on SWE.

I don't get very much chance to play, at this stage of my life. When I do, I've been able to maximize my results by adding the top caps and stems along with the lightest of the heavier bottom caps. This leaves almost all of the flexibility the stock horn has, but consolidates the tone noticeably. It gives the horn a more forward projection pattern, a denser core with more sparkle and a much more solid upper range without additional effort or unacceptable resistance. Slotting is more positive without being too locked down.

I believe my playing has become more efficient, over these past several years, and your ideas work better for me now than they did before. In the past, I tried the horn without the top caps and stems. The added weight at the bottom of the cases made the horn way too finicky. adjusting the tightness of each cap was critical just to make the horn playable, so I abandoned the idea. Now, I find that having extra mass at both ends of the valve casing brings balance back to the horn's response. But you already knew that, right?

Anyway, Bravo! on your work with the standing wave.

Brian

p.s. I really like the look of the laser-cut valve bracing you are doing these days.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=standing+wave&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up and back on topic!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't keep a written log on things and only have brief mental notes of the chat here. i believe retlaw/walter in the UK has/had a harrelson that was supposed to do the deed and became a spare when he settled into a schilke B6 which is a keeper. not that he shouldn't continue to look around of course, but he is left with a solid plan. then i have faded memory of some chat where a trumpet was ordered this way, and might have been better that way, and another attempt was made.
building a trumpet with multiple parameters is nearly as bad as analyzing horse race odds and for me would be as difficult to sort out. i would never enter the multiplicity of the harrelson, edwards, et al approach being certain that i would botch things. nobody's fault but my own. i am not up to it.
i can quite easily understand dedicated models. the WT comes one way, and can further adjusted with tuning slides, it's easy. i understand the basics of the eclipse and schilke line. the harrelson trumpet is something to pass up for me, too much downside. a more accomplished player would likely do better.
i had a monette in the '80s. this would be a brand to leave alone on the value/cost basis. they must be great horns even at that price, however, going up the cost ladder in increments too many trumpets smack me in the head like a 2x4 to ever go higher. if i were dating ellen barkin, i wouldn't pine for jane russell. how much do you think you deserve in life?
now there is the proof of the pudding. anyone with a monette and it's really the business and does what most can't, please, put up a clip. we would all love to hear the difference. convince me and i will make the plans to get together ten or twenty.
..chuck
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonHarrelson wrote:
... Why do so many people own two or three Harrelson Trumpets? Well, why does anyone choose to repeat business with any company?

I bought my second WT (with a copper bell) specifically because I enjoyed the first one so much. We gear junkies ALWAYS need a back-up similar to our primary axe.

shofarguy wrote:
... I have a full set of three different sizes of bottom caps and a set of top caps and stems. ... I've been able to maximize my results by adding the top caps and stems along with the lightest of the heavier bottom caps. This leaves almost all of the flexibility the stock horn has, but consolidates the tone noticeably. It gives the horn a more forward projection pattern, a denser core with more sparkle and a much more solid upper range without additional effort or unacceptable resistance. Slotting is more positive without being too locked down. ... Now, I find that having extra mass at both ends of the valve casing brings balance back to the horn's response. ...

I have always, without exception, found adding mass to the valve block does two things: (1) It adds resistance, and (2) It tightens slotting. Copper has a denser core, which is why it typically plays darker. Copper also adds the slightest bit of resistance compared to an identical model with a brass bell. This is the case with my two WT Bbs.

I have been experimenting with adding weight to my copper-belled WT in order to close down the slots on that horn. In keeping with my past experience, I've found using heavy caps on this horn (starting with the bottom of the 3rd valve only) does indeed place the slotting where I like it, but the trade-off is that the horn simply plays with too much resistance.

I've most recently resorted to simply placing a steel washer in my 3rd valve bottom cap. That seems to provide a fair compromise. But time will tell for sure.

Whenever I see those Harrelson trumpets loaded down with extra brass, all I can think of is "stuffy." I can't imagine any other outcome with all that weight.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
i don't keep a written log on things and only have brief mental notes of the chat here. i believe retlaw/walter in the UK has/had a harrelson that was supposed to do the deed and became a spare when he settled into a schilke B6 which is a keeper. not that he shouldn't continue to look around of course, but he is left with a solid plan
..chuck

High Chuck

You are right that I have a Bravura and also that I think it is a great trumpet. Jason exceeded my expectations when he built that horn for me. I have been having a fling with Schilke and without doubt I have enjoyed the experience...they make great horns. I still play the Bravura from time to time and there is something totally reassuring to know that every time I pick it up it will deliver. When I got the Bravura I was still using my Taylor as my main horn. The Bravura was easily equal to the Taylor and the Taylor is no slouch.... Here is my dilemma ...I love all three trumpets and as long as I can they are all keepers. I had been trying to stick to one at a time especially as I found it hard to go back to the others after playing the B6. In the past I just picked up the horn I felt best suited the situation or my mood and lately have been moving back to that way of thinking. I have an MB case that allows me two trumpets and my flugel...the Bravura goes everywhere with me. It is a special trumpet which I treasure and perhaps in the back of my mind don't use as much for that reason. It has my birthday engraved under the valve block brace and frankly I doubt I would ever sell it. Every time I do play it it is a treat for me.

A friend of mine who is an infinitely better player than me has one trumpet.... he plays a Bravura which he bought about the same time as me. He loves it......

Walter
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

One of the surprises I had when sampling Ed Mann's and Dan O'Donnell's Harrellsons was how the extra mass didn't make the horn stiff and unresponsive. I bet it has to do with mass centralization, polar moment of inertia and things like that. The Bravura seems to be very mass-centralized.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
i don't keep a written log on things and only have brief mental notes of the chat here. i believe retlaw/walter in the UK has/had a harrelson that was supposed to do the deed and became a spare when he settled into a schilke B6 which is a keeper. not that he shouldn't continue to look around of course, but he is left with a solid plan
..chuck

High Chuck

You are right that I have a Bravura and also that I think it is a great trumpet. Jason exceeded my expectations when he built that horn for me. I have been having a fling with Schilke and without doubt I have enjoyed the experience...they make great horns. I still play the Bravura from time to time and there is something totally reassuring to know that every time I pick it up it will deliver. When I got the Bravura I was still using my Taylor as my main horn. The Bravura was easily equal to the Taylor and the Taylor is no slouch.... Here is my dilemma ...I love all three trumpets and as long as I can they are all keepers. I had been trying to stick to one at a time especially as I found it hard to go back to the others after playing the B6. In the past I just picked up the horn I felt best suited the situation or my mood and lately have been moving back to that way of thinking. I have an MB case that allows me two trumpets and my flugel...the Bravura goes everywhere with me. It is a special trumpet which I treasure and perhaps in the back of my mind don't use as much for that reason. It has my birthday engraved under the valve block brace and frankly I doubt I would ever sell it. Every time I do play it it is a treat for me.

A friend of mine who is an infinitely better player than me has one trumpet.... he plays a Bravura which he bought about the same time as me. He loves it......

Walter

walter

may i ask, how is the intonation on the taylor, does it accept a standard mouthpiece, which model is it, and do you find the weight manageable.
compelling operation andy is running over there.
this is no more complicated than when we were lads in a candy store. you pick up the instrument you like best, no? as well as sound, maybe you are liking ease of play?

..chuck
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck the intonation on my Taylor is very good but I do find that I don't have to push the tuning slide out quite as far as on my other horns . When I first had the horn I used a Monette mouthpiece and the sound was big and warm but I didn't find the upper register too easy. I started looking at gap and found that most mouthpiece I tried had a big gap. I took the horn to a tech and he bored out the receiver a little and now most mouthpieces have a nice gap and the upper register is a breeze. I have one of Andy's titanium mouthpieces ( don't think he makes them anymore) but I mostly play with my Schilke 15A4A which is really good for me. Took the horn to a small jazz group the other week and the big warm sound really got attention.

The Taylor I have is the Chicago Lite version and is a LB (the only LB I have got to work for me)....almost all the benefits of it's bigger brother but not as heavy and a little more flexible. The weight is manageable but coming off the B6 which feels like a feather it takes a little getting used to.

I have a friend who plays the big Chicago and I could tell he was wrestling a bit for the first month(he had played a Yamaha for years) or so but let me tell you he is sounding seriously good on it now....

A local shop to me sells Taylors ..I just might have to go and have a blow on a few to see how the current models shape up...

Walter
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am going to say something about this whole debate. I am a pretty good trumpet player. An amateur, but still pretty good and playing (cornet at least) at quite a high level. I have owned and played some very fine instruments (Taylor, Monette, Wedgwood). Following my divorce I hit a rough patch financially and had to sell instruments on a monthly basis for a while in order to pay the rent. However, when I sold my Monette I used some of the money I got for it to go out and buy a brand new Bb trumpet. Having trialed a lot of models I ended up with a standard Bach 43. I have since met a full time professional who also switched to a Bach 43 from Monette. At the same time I switched back to a Bach 1.5C from the Monette mouthpieces I had been using.

Having made this switch the change of mouthpiece has made a bigger difference than the change of trumpet. I tend to sound like I do regardless of what I play on. All I need is an instrument which will support that sound and play in tune.

Of the four full time professional trumpet players (orchestral and commercial) who I know in my own social circle, none are playing on "super horns". Its all Bach and Yamaha. Two are using Monette mouthpieces. Of those mouthpieces, none of them are custom - they are all off the shelf standard sizes.

My recommendation for anyone would be to determine what the sound you naturally produce is like, what your pitch centre is like (do you go flatter as you go up or sharper). Then find a mouthpiece and trumpet which supports or corrects those issues. If you can achieve 95% of a perfect set up then stop there. Trying to get any further is a law of diminishing returns. Spend some money on lessons (rebuilding my embouchure from scratch transformed my playing and the lessons cost very little in real terms).

Just some thoughts.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Go, Gordon!
Beautifully said....
+1
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
OK, I am going to say something about this whole debate. I am a pretty good trumpet player. An amateur, but still pretty good and playing (cornet at least) at quite a high level. I have owned and played some very fine instruments (Taylor, Monette, Wedgwood). Following my divorce I hit a rough patch financially and had to sell instruments on a monthly basis for a while in order to pay the rent. However, when I sold my Monette I used some of the money I got for it to go out and buy a brand new Bb trumpet. Having trialed a lot of models I ended up with a standard Bach 43. I have since met a full time professional who also switched to a Bach 43 from Monette. At the same time I switched back to a Bach 1.5C from the Monette mouthpieces I had been using.

Having made this switch the change of mouthpiece has made a bigger difference than the change of trumpet. I tend to sound like I do regardless of what I play on. All I need is an instrument which will support that sound and play in tune.

Of the four full time professional trumpet players (orchestral and commercial) who I know in my own social circle, none are playing on "super horns". Its all Bach and Yamaha. Two are using Monette mouthpieces. Of those mouthpieces, none of them are custom - they are all off the shelf standard sizes.

My recommendation for anyone would be to determine what the sound you naturally produce is like, what your pitch centre is like (do you go flatter as you go up or sharper). Then find a mouthpiece and trumpet which supports or corrects those issues. If you can achieve 95% of a perfect set up then stop there. Trying to get any further is a law of diminishing returns. Spend some money on lessons (rebuilding my embouchure from scratch transformed my playing and the lessons cost very little in real terms).

Just some thoughts.

Without getting too involved in this thread, this advice seems to me to make more sense than anything I've read on this topic - in any thread - so far.

r.
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

My recommendation for anyone would be to determine what the sound you naturally produce is like, what your pitch centre is like (do you go flatter as you go up or sharper). Then find a mouthpiece and trumpet which supports or corrects those issues. If you can achieve 95% of a perfect set up then stop there.

Clear, simple and wise, can't agree more!

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with Gordon - a good Bach trumpet is as good as anything out there. I'll never sell my old 43, and some of the top pros here in the Bay Area seem to do just fine on theirs as well.

Exotic horns are a lot of fun, I hope to see more of them in the shop but most are too new to be broken!
https://yourbrass.com/
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 pages...12450 views and we are down to an off the shelf Bach 43...

Now we have diverted from Harrelson vs Monette to Bach.... anyone playing the Mariachi? How does it compare to the 43....

Walter
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer the "Kevin Bacon" model trumpet
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
You can no more A_B a Harrelson and Monette then you can A-B a Porsche GT and Ford Mustang!!!

Respectfully, I see this much differently. In defense of the OP a comparison is entirely possible. Some may not find value in the comparison while others may. If you're going to drop over $6,000 on a horn hopefully you have done some kind of comparison; otherwise I have some low lying marsh land for you to consider. But I digress.

The Porsche GT and Ford Mustang are easy to compare. You can compare quarter mile times, track lap times, wind tunnel drag co-efficients, weight to power ratios and hundreds of other design and performance elements. Even food processor specifications differ when Consumer Reports writes a comparison.

If it was necessary to begin with identical design it would invalidate every mouthpiece and horn comparison ever written on TH.

With that said, some comparisons are surely more useful than others. But I trust each reader to extract value or discard the comparison as they see fit.

I find the comparison requested by the OP along with many other comparisons on this forum to be part of the rich fabric of input created by an internet forum. Some comparisons have been very helpful to me and I sort of cringe at the thought of someone withdrawing from writing a comparison because they are apprehensive of potential criticism from a reader who may find no value to their post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: