• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Longer Retro Bach Receivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Longer Retro Bach Receivers Reply with quote

I have to replace the receiver on my 35 yeor old Bach 43 Lightweight. Anyone have any experiences with the longer receivers available on some Bach trumpets in recent years? Do you think it's a cosmetic thing or could it change or improve the way my horn plays? Thanks
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Retro Bach Receivers Reply with quote

Blue Trane wrote:
I have to replace the receiver on my 35 yeor old Bach 43 Lightweight. Anyone have any experiences with the longer receivers available on some Bach trumpets in recent years? Do you think it's a cosmetic thing or could it change or improve the way my horn plays? Thanks

Yes to both questions. I think it looks better and since there is an incredible amount of vibratory energy at the back bell bow, I feel the longer receivers help. Will it cause a huge noticeable difference? Probably not. But it's one of those things that when combined with other design aspects, that have been lost over the years, does add up to generally a positive effect.

I have a couple of different lengths on my horns. On my C trumpet, I use an early style 2-5/8" receiver. On my Bb, a 2-1/4"

If you use the longest, 2-5/8" you'll more than likely have to ream out the leadpipe end of the receiver to allow it to fit on some mouthpipe tapers.

Here's what the longer one looks like when setting the gap:

and the 2-1/4" mounted:

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Dave. It looks different and it effects the sound. I've never been a huge fan of the longer receivers in terms of sound. I've tried it on Bachs as well as on Shires when doing different pipes.

It looks "right" but I've found that the added length/mass on the front end deadens the ring behind the bell. I know that others will say that it is only "perceived deadness" but I still argue that on trumpet, perception is everything!

If you're wanting to try them both, Charlie Melk has both options on his leapipes with either the EB (shorter shank) or MTV (longer "retro" shank) in front of it.

Who are you going to use to replace the shank?

jv
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an appointment with Charlie Melk to put on the longer receiver and also do a PVA. I didn't know he has two longer than standard receivers to choose from. If that's the case I'll probably go with the shorter of the two. I'm very comfortable having Charlie do the work and go over the horn.
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way the #7 pipe makes the horn play that Bach did for me, but I am curious to try a standard length mp receiver based on the comments posted here. The #7 pipe really takes the "edge" off the 43* GB bell, and the versatility and the rich core ability to color the tone really surprises me. I would be curious how my standard weight 43 would play with one. Maybe it would upset the balance that it has since the Reeves alignment many years ago, not sure.

I'd guess that a 37 may open and darken too much since the #7 leadpipe is a .351 which is pretty big, but it doesn't kill me like a 43 leadpipe that I tried, too much for me to handle.

Has anyone else tried the #7 on a 43 or 37 bell, and if so, opinions?

'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that he had 2 receivers that were longer than normal. I was under the impression that the eb was standard length and the mtv was the longer length. I'm wrong all the time but that was my understanding....

jv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: