• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bobby Findley on Trp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Bobby Findley on Trp Reply with quote

Sorry to barge in, but I do read this group and have done some of the studies and enjoy the group.
I've been doing the first two exercises from Bob Findley which are similar to Caruso.
My q regards the differences and how to approach them and the groups thoughts on his stuff.
Bob says to always strive for a vibrant tone that uses the whole instrument. He doesn't really care if you tap your foot or not. He doesn't really advocate breathing through the nose during the exercises.
I only ask this because I saw Bob Findley's name on the list of Caruso teachers. I really like his book and might go down for a lesson sometime.

Thanks!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's his book called?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobby Findley on Trp Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
My q regards the differences and how to approach them and the groups thoughts on his stuff.
Bob says to always strive for a vibrant tone that uses the whole instrument.

As far as I can tell, no one that I know was ever instructed by Carmine to proceed in this way. Sounds like BF might have taken a lesson or two from AJ or another Chicago schooler and is combining the two approaches.

EBjazz wrote:
He doesn't really care if you tap your foot or not.

True (and this is also something that I know of no one that CC didn't have do) BUT, BF does have something to say about timing and its importance on pages 47 and 48. Again, I think BF has strayed from a pure CC approach in this regard.

EBjazz wrote:
He doesn't really advocate breathing through the nose during the exercises.

Well, that's not quite true. His rule 3 specifically states to "Breathe through the nose" while doing his exercises.

EBjazz wrote:

I only ask this because I saw Bob Findley's name on the list of Caruso teachers.

BF studied directly with Carmine and obviously has succeeded at the highest level of trumpet playing. I believe it was he who introduced Herb Alpert to CC.

I would say that BF's book is BF's own approach to playing with a heavy Caruso influence thoughout. He told me in an e-mail that his book is pure Caruso. Maybe in the 60's (I believe that is when BF was studying with CC) Carmine wasn't using foot tapping. I don't know.

I'm sure Carmine must have always emphasized timing while doing his exercises. Foot tapping might have been an up date after BF studied with him.
terpfan0512
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Bob Findley on Trumpet - A Method Book Reply with quote

What kinds of exercises are included in Bob Findley's method book? Are the exercises just variants of the Caruso exercises, or has he included any original exercises, as well? I understand that the text is a good read.

Thanks for your time,
Scott
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Bobby Findley on Trp Reply with quote

FWIW...I studied directly with Carmine from '67=71 and, at least with me and all the other students I heard, ALWAYS advocated using your foot. That's what tied together all of his principles regarding muscle movement and synching everything together, etc.I teach the Caruso Method and everyone of my private students, from 6th graders on, do Caruso exercises as part of their weekly lesson. Haven't found one yet that it didn't help!!! Thank God I had the opportunity to study with Carmine himself. What a pleasure and what a nice gentleman!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWEAK wrote:
what's his book called?

Bob Findley on Trumpet
A Method Book

Range
Endurance
Flexibility
Sound

Table of Contents

Chapter 1 - What Makes The Sound?
2 - The Slot
3 - Support
4 - The 3 Major Steps to Greater Efficiency
5 - Balance
6 - Finding Your Balance
7 - Maintaining Your Balance/Playing For Feel
8 - Pressure/As it Effects Sound Etc.
9 - Timing
Exercises 1-9
terpfan0512
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the outline. Are Exercises 1-9 Caruso exercises or are they different?

Thanks,
Scott
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

I'm not familiar with BF's book but here is my take on the Caruso exercises.

I studied with Carmine in the late 60s and foot tapping was always required on Carmine's exercises. However, tapping was not part of playing clarinet and flute studies like Jeanjean, Cavallini, and Baermann.

As I recall, the first lesson, Carmine explained the seven muscular actions required to produce a note. He wanted to perfect the timing of those actions (I sometimes substitute words like "synchronize" and "balance"). He said the foot tap was to provide the autonomic nervous system with a timing device for establishing these correct reflexes. Carmine was emphatic about subdividing ("1-and-2-and") to create a clear beat.

Later, we were instructed to mentally subdivide the last beat before changing notes into 16ths to dictate a more-defined timing target for those muscular actions.

Carmine spoke of developing automatic responses (reflexes) to musical demands. He used the example of touching something hot. Pulling your hand away before being burned is not a thinking action, it happens automatically and correctly. We were making trumpet playing (intervals, dynamic changes, attacks, etc) into this same type of response through programming. To be effective, nose breathing limited the variables.

Nose breathing was discouraged for all other playing. For me, Carmine pointed out that I needed to mouth breathe in performance to assure I "recovered my bottom lip."

As to striving for a good tone throughout the registers, this was a consequence of improved timing. Carmine was critical of teachers who 'teach by result", telling the student what he was to achieve. Carmine was all about doing the work according to the guiding principles and allowing the results to follow. With my students, I use the analogy of a doctor prescribing medication or therapy. Take it according to directions and you will get well. (You'd never go twice to a doctor if he told you to go home and feel better).

Thanks for letting me reminisce.

Alan
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...."retrieving the bottom lip" is a phrase you see a lot in Reinhardt postings.

As far as counting, Carmine had me subdividing into 16th notes. Charlie Raymond, moderator of this forum years ago, was started a discussion about "advanced" Caruso exercises. I thought that this would be a great topic.It was but, instead describing super intricate, two octave triple tongued jump style exercises, Charlie recommended subdividing into 32nd notes.
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperdean wrote:

Thanks for letting me reminisce.

Alan

Thanks for your excellent post that remind me of some of the important principles from my lessons with Carmine.

terpfan0512 wrote:
Thanks for the outline. Are Exercises 1-9 Caruso exercises or are they different?

Thanks,
Scott

They're different but very similar. There are 10 rules or instructions such as breathe through the nose and all breath attacks but nothing about foot tapping. The exercises are all whole note, 2 half notes, whole note, whole rest and many have wide leaps and a lot of ledger lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: