• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monettes Eb mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Monettes Eb mouthpieces Reply with quote

I currently play alot of Eb with 10piece brass groups and orchestras and a while ago a friend highly recomended the Monette Eb mouthpieces to aid any tuning battles.
After a search through the various chanels I decided that it was too expensive to take a "punt" and stuck with my normal setup, however recently I picked one up on eBay for a reasonable price.
In truth, I love the sound in the mid and low register on the Eb, it's huge, resonant and blends brilliantly, but the tuning is extremel bright in the upper register and I thought the whole design of the Monettes was to combat this! F,s F#'s, G's and anything higher are MUCH brighter than on my other set up and are a battle, the problem is, I adore the sound I make in that "middle register" on the Eb which comfortably plays most orchestal rep.
The details-
Eb = Schilke E3 4L with a Bach 236 bell
Main mouthpiece Bb = Curry 1.25C (Similar to Bach 1.25C and Monetter B2 ish)
Normal Eb mouthpiece = Bach 1.5C (great high register, but not the biggest sound)
New Monetter mouthpiece = E2 (great sound, shocking intonation up top)

My questions are
1- Has anyone else experienced this at all?

and

2 - have you any mouthpiece recommendations from the above criteria for a more open sounding mouthpiece than the 1.5C on the Eb, but keep the settled tuning I've grown accustomed to.

Many thanks
Jim
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out this section of the monette site: http://www.monette.net/newsite/monette_approach_00.htm since that sounds like one of their acclimation problems. I think I remember that going extremely sharp in the upper register was caused by some manipulation that we often do.

Don't remember exactly though...
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Monettes Eb mouthpieces Reply with quote

thesplitmeister wrote:
...2 - have you any mouthpiece recommendations from the above criteria for a more open sounding mouthpiece than the 1.5C on the Eb, but keep the settled tuning I've grown accustomed to.

I'm no Monette expert but as I recall Monette very specifically warns that you need to aclimate to their pieces and that the tuning you're accustomed to will be a problem until you adjust.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Monette talk about an accustomisation period where tuning is affected. However, surely I will be permanently in this period as I play mainly on a non Monette mouthpiece on my main hooter....
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Monette talk about an accustomisation period where tuning is affected. However, surely I will be permanently in this period as I play mainly on a non Monette mouthpiece on my main hooter....
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give good results Monette mouthpieces require a relaxed playing, so I would guess that your problem comes from the fact than when you go higher, you add some unnecessary tensions that play against the mouthpiece.

Si although I can't be absolutely positive, I would say that very likely, if you go the way of the relaxed playing even when playing notes above the staff, the issue you're referring to will disappear pretty quickly!

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly suggest that if you're going to go the Monette route for one horn, you should do that for the others too. I know it's almost prohibitively expensive, but they're very good mouthpieces and there are physical design differences that make switching back and fourth a hazardous experience on all fronts.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
I would highly suggest that if you're going to go the Monette route for one horn, you should do that for the others too. I know it's almost prohibitively expensive, but they're very good mouthpieces and there are physical design differences that make switching back and fourth a hazardous experience on all fronts.

Yes, or at least try to limit your playing to pretty open mpcs.

Personally, since I began to play a Kanstul copy of the Monette B2, the tighter feeling mpcs I played before have become almost unplayable for me...
But I still can play my Bach 5v, which is pretty more open than the others.

Not saying that openness is the only characteristic of Monette mpcs, though!
Only saying that in my opinion, if you build (or rebuild!) your playing on an open feel and relaxed attitude which is what need Monette mpcs, you will be able to play well Monette AND non-Monette mouthpieces - at least for the latest if they offer an open feel.

Buescher T-120, HT3.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "monette approach" will most likely carry over into positive things for working with your other mouthpieces. If you try, you can instead of physically manipulating (tightening your lips unnecessarily, lifting the horn, etc.) you will end up being more efficient even with "traditional mouthpieces"
Don't worry about it too much
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesplitmeister wrote:

Sure the Monette is different but so is playing the picc, or the C horn for that matter. Learning to play those didn't hurt my ability to play my Bb. It's possible that once you fully sort out how the Monette works on the Eb that you'll be able to transition with less effort. Only time will tell.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
The "monette approach" will most likely carry over into positive things for working with your other mouthpieces. If you try, you can instead of physically manipulating (tightening your lips unnecessarily, lifting the horn, etc.) you will end up being more efficient even with "traditional mouthpieces"

Exactly what I've experienced with my Kanstul M-B2: the "Monette approach" isn't worth only for Monette gear, but for trumpet playing in general!

The only "drawback" - in my specific case at least - is that once you're accustomed to this new, and in my opinion clearly better approach of trumpet playing, your tightest mpcs may feel too tight for you...
But who cares, if you've gotten something better!

Buescher T-120, HT3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: