• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beating a dead horse.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Deja Vu, or does this exact same subject keep coming up over and over every few months, with only the name of the buyer changing each time?

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

They must be REALLY AMAZING instruments for people to go through this sort of thing to get one. Too good for me to have one, clearly.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience I have found that after the original consultation and finalized order...Jason gets on with doing what he does...... building. Yes an agreed time for completion would help but I don't believe he gives a final date. I had a very rough estimation and was lucky to get mine sooner.... I had a couple of questions after the build and had an almost immediate personal response.

I agree that it would help to give regular updates but people don't take kindly to delays and always believe that they are the only customer Jason has.....

I suspect that Jason is very single minded.... when he is building your horn "you"are the most important customer.......in the middle bit you are just in the line behind others who take priority...

Ohiotpt is of course right...it has all been dealt with before.....

Walter
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Is it Deja Vu, or does this exact same subject keep coming up over and over every few months, with only the name of the buyer changing each time?

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

They must be REALLY AMAZING instruments for people to go through this sort of thing to get one. Too good for me to have one, clearly.

As long as Jason continues to use his present business model the problem will occur over and over again. I think the Bravura I have is fantastic and in reality one of his horns is enough...I won't be parting with it. I would love to have a Summit but could not wait the nine months or so..... easy and simple choice...... I won't order. If you want to buy one do yourself a favour.... order based on an expected delivery of 1 year....similar to Monette....when it arrives early and the horn is fantastic you will be a very happy camper.

Walter
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
--------------
I am pretty sure you can order a kanstul 1500-A heavy horn for around $3000 and have it at your door in about a week

A WEEK??????? not on your life, unless some dealer has one in stock. do you just make this stuff up?

Re. the JH situation, I'm sure that I read recent posts by Jen, his assistant on this very forum promoting the horns with some sort of videos. If she has time to be promoting business on TH, she should have time to respond to inquiries on horn builds in process. It is time management + priority is on soliciting new business rather than filling current orders apparently. This tends to happen when money is paid up front because there is not a big incentive.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm just dreaming, but couldn't someone design a really good trumpet that played very well, had terrific intonation and unparalleled versatility? If it could be accomplished, just one configuration could cover everything from Chris Botti dark to Maynard bright. A mouthpiece change would be all it needed to cover any style or situation.

I bet that, with the right design combinations, it could be light enough for anyone to play all day, yet solid enough to handle any dynamic situation. Hmm, it might need an unusual bell design...

Anyway, with one configuration, it could be made by a really good manufacturer in batches for a reasonable price. I bet each horn would be close enough, off the line, that some hand-finishing (like a valve alignment and stuff) would get it to custom horn levels, quality-wise. That way, a person could sell out of inventory. Maybe in slow economic times a customer might have to wait for the next batch to be built, but the wait would be fairly short.

Oh well, I'm probably just pipe dreaming... It all sounds too good to be true, anyway. But if anyone ever DID put that together, it would be a pretty wild thing! A guy could flip over something like that.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
Capt.Kirk wrote:
--------------
I am pretty sure you can order a kanstul 1500-A heavy horn for around $3000 and have it at your door in about a week

A WEEK??????? not on your life, unless some dealer has one in stock. do you just make this stuff up?

It's not totally unreasonable. I ordered my Kanstul flugel, and had it built with conventional water keys instead of amado's, and even with it being a non-standard build, the lead time was only like 4 weeks.

I could have got the standard config almost immediately. A week might be a bit overly optimistic, but not earth-shatteringly so for a stock horn. Certainly far better than the months and months and months without any contact that is being described in this thread.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
PiCK Kanstul wrote:
Capt.Kirk wrote:
--------------

It's not totally unreasonable. I ordered my Kanstul flugel, and had it built with conventional water keys instead of amado's, and even with it being a non-standard build, the lead time was only like 4 weeks.

I could have got the standard config almost immediately. A week might be a bit overly optimistic, but not earth-shatteringly so for a stock horn. Certainly far better than the months and months and months without any contact that is being described in this thread.

4 weeks is 4 times as long as 1 week. most likely, they were already in production. water keys is not too much of a change up. I had Kanstul take up to 5 months for horns promised in 4 to 5 weeks. not dissing, just facts. They are not going to deliver any special order horn in one week, built start to finish / well, it probably could be done if Zig was all over it. but never ever happened in 7 years with my orders.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I know I'm just dreaming, but couldn't someone design a really good trumpet that played very well, had terrific intonation and unparalleled versatility? If it could be accomplished, just one configuration could cover everything from Chris Botti dark to Maynard bright. A mouthpiece change would be all it needed to cover any style or situation.

I bet that, with the right design combinations, it could be light enough for anyone to play all day, yet solid enough to handle any dynamic situation. Hmm, it might need an unusual bell design...

Anyway, with one configuration, it could be made by a really good manufacturer in batches for a reasonable price. I bet each horn would be close enough, off the line, that some hand-finishing (like a valve alignment and stuff) would get it to custom horn levels, quality-wise. That way, a person could sell out of inventory. Maybe in slow economic times a customer might have to wait for the next batch to be built, but the wait would be fairly short.

Oh well, I'm probably just pipe dreaming... It all sounds too good to be true, anyway. But if anyone ever DID put that together, it would be a pretty wild thing! A guy could flip over something like that.

Brian

All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey......... must be "California Dreamin". Brian you are so flippin in love with that Wild Thing you now dream about it....

Walter
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

Brian

You are making me wonder; what's in that pipe?
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey......... must be "California Dreamin". Brian you are so flippin in love with that Wild Thing you now dream about it....

Walter

Wild Thing...you make my heart sing...
You make everything
Groovy
I said Wild Thing...

Wild Thing, I think I love you
But I wanna know for sure
Come on, horn so right
I love you

Wild Thing...you make my heart sing...
You make everything
Groovy
I said Wild Thing...

Wild Thing, I think you move me
But I wanna know for sure
So come on, horn so right
You move me

Link

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Brian

Walter

You mean it's that easy to tell???

Actually, I have been having trumpet dreams lately. A new thing for me. I dreamed I took my horns with me on a trip with our local High School marching band to try to sell my Benge to a student. The Benge got stolen and I found my Wild Thing at the bottom of a scummy pond. It was filled with green algae in every port and slide. So GROSS! A real nightmare!

Brian

p.s. I really thought Ed Mann's Harrelson was nice the little bit I got to play it. I'm looking forward to hearing Dan O'Donnell play his with me in Shofar this coming Halloween Sunday (now THERE'S and interesting juxtaposition! ). Like Tom Turners write-up on the multi-horn comparison he did a few years back, the Harrelson and Wild thing were in a class unto themselves. The WT just had a bigger presence.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong Brian, but I'm fairly certain that the post that you referring to did not include Harrelson horns, because the comparison tests took place before Jason even started building horns. There was a Zeus vs. several Kanstuls, the Wild Thing and a Callet Jazz.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlanta horns testing Tom Turner review
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
p.s. I really thought Ed Mann's Harrelson was nice the little bit I got to play it.

Anyone counting up the number of customers who've spent less time deciding to sell one of these than they spent waiting for it to show?

Unless Ed has more than one, he is offering that very horn for sale in the marketplace today!

http://trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=25949&s=Harrelson-Bravura--raw-and-nasty-
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because a horn is for sale doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I'm not playing it as much as I forecast when I bought it (and waited but a few months for it) and now it's someone else's turn to enjoy it.

Funny, I've listed about 7 or 8 horns on the mktplc and never once did someone question or comment on whys or wherefores, snidely or otherwise.

ed
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
I could be wrong Brian, but I'm fairly certain that the post that you referring to did not include Harrelson horns, because the comparison tests took place before Jason even started building horns. There was a Zeus vs. several Kanstuls, the Wild Thing and a Callet Jazz.

Wow, that's twice I've needed correcting in as many days! Must be I ...needed correcting.

Thanks for catching my errors.

Brian

PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. well i don't remember 'correcting' you before . sorry about that.
and i'll just say that I am really not sure when Jason started selling his horns. I was just sure that one of his was not among those tested. and since this thread is about Harrelsons., i thought it was releveant to say . that's all.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
hmm. well i don't remember 'correcting' you before . sorry about that.
and i'll just say that I am really not sure when Jason started selling his horns. I was just sure that one of his was not among those tested. and since this thread is about Harrelsons., i thought it was releveant to say . that's all.

Priscilla,

I really did mean to thank you. Flip caught another error of mine either yesterday or this morning. I've been under the weather and haven't been as accurate as I usually like to be.

Brian

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were just being poetic . . .

Quote:
You are making me wonder; what's in that pipe?

Oakes leafs!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: