• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beating a dead horse.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a dead horse. Reply with quote

dbleC wrote:
I know this is a tired subject but...

My dad bought a Bravura [horn intended for me] and paid for it on Jan 11. Still don't have any clue when it will be delivered. Attempts at communication are futile. The website shows a completion date of 8/23. I think we are into October, right?! This is the third or fourth completion date so far. Terrible experience.

Sorry, wanted to vent!

So now that you have "vented" do you feel better.....?

Walter
dbleC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...I really hope it doesn't take a year. Just bummed that the thing was paid for so long ago and then we have to sit and wonder like this. I will say this though, if there were any amount of professional common courtesy in the communication, it would change the whole deal. But, I would never recommend JH to anyone I know. Even if it does play like a dream. And to think, we chose this over a Lawler. The way Roy treats people would have made up for any wait!!
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
Because a horn is for sale doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I'm not playing it as much as I forecast when I bought it (and waited but a few months for it) and now it's someone else's turn to enjoy it.

Funny, I've listed about 7 or 8 horns on the mktplc and never once did someone question or comment on whys or wherefores, snidely or otherwise.

ed

Carl Sagan said something to the effect that remarkable claims demand remarkable evidence. Any time a product gets the kind of hype these have, a greater amount of scrutiny seems reasonable as well.

So far my comments have focused on the (cough, cough) interesting business practices and not the quality of the product. Now that yours has fallen into the "For Sale" pile along with so many others, I'm beginning to wonder about that, too. Despite the claimed benefits of this maker's "custom designed" instruments, the long-term satisfaction (and maybe even the short-term satisfaction) doesn't seem to be much greater than one would get from a comparably-priced off-the-shelf instrument. At least not by what I gather from reading this forum. YMMV
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbleC wrote:
Sure...I really hope it doesn't take a year. Just bummed that the thing was paid for so long ago and then we have to sit and wonder like this. I will say this though, if there were any amount of professional common courtesy in the communication, it would change the whole deal. But, I would never recommend JH to anyone I know. Even if it does play like a dream. And to think, we chose this over a Lawler. The way Roy treats people would have made up for any wait!!

Some times life's lessons are learned the hard way. Learn, grow, move on.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
PiCK Kanstul wrote:
I could be wrong Brian, but I'm fairly certain that the post that you referring to did not include Harrelson horns, because the comparison tests took place before Jason even started building horns. There was a Zeus vs. several Kanstuls, the Wild Thing and a Callet Jazz.

Wow, that's twice I've needed correcting in as many days! Must be I ...needed correcting.

Thanks for catching my errors.

Brian

Yeah, I say we send Brian to Bob Reeves or Flip for a PVA on his head! Just kidding, just kidding, Bri! BTW, crazy dream about what happened to your WT! What the heck?! Subconscious telling you that you need to wash that baby up?
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just bummed that the thing was paid for so long ago and then we have to sit and wonder like this."

I guess I'm really naive as regards the custom build market and how transactions are structured. In my world, when you buy something of this nature, you might give the builder some of the money up front, and you might make progress payments along the way, and you would certainly make final payment upon delivery of the product . . . but you would never pay the entire amount up front. If you do pay the entire amount up front, even a designer/builder with the best of intentions will have no incentive to stay on task and finish the project on time and on budget. Using a progress payment system ensures communication of the builder's progress - if he keeps you in the dark about progress there's no one he can blame but himself when he doesn't get a check. These things should be set up something like: $2,500 horn - $1,000 up front (earnest money?), $1,000 when email photos show an 80% complete trumpet, $500 to "release" the trumpet and ship to the customer upon "final completion". I'd like to withhold 10% ($250) to be sent after it's received and meets inspection . . . but I know that's probably dreaming. But paying 100% up front? That's just crazy talk.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Harrelson actually get full payment up front? No wonder there's no rush to get it complete and ready to deliver... If that's true, it's not the way most folks do business in my world either.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsboy wrote:
"Just bummed that the thing was paid for so long ago and then we have to sit and wonder like this."

I guess I'm really naive as regards the custom build market and how transactions are structured. In my world, when you buy something of this nature, you might give the builder some of the money up front, and you might make progress payments along the way, and you would certainly make final payment upon delivery of the product . . . but you would never pay the entire amount up front. If you do pay the entire amount up front, even a designer/builder with the best of intentions will have no incentive to stay on task and finish the project on time and on budget. Using a progress payment system ensures communication of the builder's progress - if he keeps you in the dark about progress there's no one he can blame but himself when he doesn't get a check. These things should be set up something like: $2,500 horn - $1,000 up front (earnest money?), $1,000 when email photos show an 80% complete trumpet, $500 to "release" the trumpet and ship to the customer upon "final completion". I'd like to withhold 10% ($250) to be sent after it's received and meets inspection . . . but I know that's probably dreaming. But paying 100% up front? That's just crazy talk.

I have not waded through this entire thread, but I tend to agree with johnsboy. I would be hard pressed to justify paying 100% upfront for much of anything, unless there was a very firm and not-too-distant delivery date. Even in that case, I think it would be "buyer beware."

Brad361
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that I am not venturing an opinion on Jason's business practices. I said enough in the marathon thread.

Johnsboy your idea has merit, but I am not sure how one would determine 80%. Perhaps the progress payment should be made when the horn is assembled and ready for finish.
Tuba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyMike wrote:
EdMann wrote:
Because a horn is for sale doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I'm not playing it as much as I forecast when I bought it (and waited but a few months for it) and now it's someone else's turn to enjoy it.

Funny, I've listed about 7 or 8 horns on the mktplc and never once did someone question or comment on whys or wherefores, snidely or otherwise.

ed

Carl Sagan said something to the effect that remarkable claims demand remarkable evidence. Any time a product gets the kind of hype these have, a greater amount of scrutiny seems reasonable as well.

So far my comments have focused on the (cough, cough) interesting business practices and not the quality of the product. Now that yours has fallen into the "For Sale" pile along with so many others, I'm beginning to wonder about that, too. Despite the claimed benefits of this maker's "custom designed" instruments, the long-term satisfaction (and maybe even the short-term satisfaction) doesn't seem to be much greater than one would get from a comparably-priced off-the-shelf instrument. At least not by what I gather from reading this forum. YMMV

CARL SAGAN! He said this, in his series COSMOS,
"What counts is not what sounds plausible, not what we would like to believe, not what one or two witnesses claim, but only what is supported by hard evidence rigorously and skeptically examined. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Does this count?

Oh yeah, this is about Trumpets...
mikethespyke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: My experiences with Harrelson Horns Reply with quote

Hi All
I have checked this forum out on a few occasions but this is my first post. I have scanned through alot of the posts concerning JH and his horns.
This is not meant to agree or disagree with any pervious posts, but just the facts about my personal experiences with Jason. Dec 2008 I purchased a Bravura on Ebay. I paid the full amount and then had a long distant phone consultaion with Jason. I found him to be a very helpful in picking out the options that would fit my level of playing and style of music. I recieved the horn in about 5-6 months. All I can say, is the horn exceeded my expectations.

About 3 months after I recieved my horn, my girlfriend was carrying her sewing machine , stepped on the cord and fell on my Ritter gig bag, housing my new Bb trumpet and my Flugel horn. Both suffered massive damage. Bells bent, tubes bent and valves not working.(I'd post pictures if I knew how) She was very upset , as was I. I litterly went out and sat in my truck and cried....I spent money I really could not afford and just had a baby..yada yada..what was I going to do?...I phoned Jason...in short he said "sent back to me and I will see what I can do. I built it from nothing, I should be able to repair from somthing" were his words. I recieve both my trumpet and Flugel horn back. I could not tell the difference from my original horn. He sourced and installed a new bell on my flugel and it sounds fuller than the original. He repaired everything for 30% of what I thought it was going to cost, so I was extremly happy to say the least. I also had Jason make 2 mouthpieces.

I have since also ordered a C Summit. I will admit that it has been a long time coming, but being in busines myself, I know how timelines can go off the tracks. I also know that sometimes a persons best intentions can also go sideways. I'm putting my trust in, that Jason is doing the best he can given all the changes /challenges, (new shop, equipment...etc) that he has faced. I know in perfect world things would be different, but I would rather wait for a piece of art, then have piece of crap right a way.

From the lifetime of enjoyment that my horns are going to bring, the delays in delivery pale by comparison. "there will be no fine wine, untill it is time" Like I said at the beginning, this is just my storey

Mike the Spyke from Yellowknife

PS I just had another child and named him Chase
PSS my Bravura is in a Torpedo Case...it is bullet proof and my flugel is back in it's stock hard case and all sewing machines are banned from my "man cave"[/img]
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My experiences with Harrelson Horns Reply with quote

mikethespyke wrote:

"

This post smells of the Shillmeister himself
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My experiences with Harrelson Horns Reply with quote

mikethespyke wrote:
I recieve both my trumpet and Flugel horn back. I could not tell the difference from my original horn. He sourced and installed a new bell on my flugel and it sounds fuller than the original. He repaired everything for 30% of what I thought it was going to cost, so I was extremly happy to say the least.

Since when did he learn to repair horns? He must have a lot of time on his hands to learn something new. If you said, I sent them to Jim Becker or Charlie melk and they came back better than new. I wouldn't question that for a minute. But Jason Harrelson for repair. Don't think so. If this is legit, he probably sent them out. Especially if the damage was as bad as you made it out to be. Unless the guy just replaced all of the parts instead of actually working on the damaged ones.

- Steve
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My experiences with Harrelson Horns Reply with quote

mikethespyke wrote:
Hi All
I have checked this forum out on a few occasions but this is my first post. I have scanned through alot of the posts concerning JH and his horns.
This is not meant to agree or disagree with any pervious posts, but just the facts about my personal experiences with Jason. Dec 2008 I purchased a Bravura on Ebay. I paid the full amount and then had a long distant phone consultaion with Jason. I found him to be a very helpful in picking out the options that would fit my level of playing and style of music. I recieved the horn in about 5-6 months. All I can say, is the horn exceeded my expectations.

About 3 months after I recieved my horn, my girlfriend was carrying her sewing machine , stepped on the cord and fell on my Ritter gig bag, housing my new Bb trumpet and my Flugel horn. Both suffered massive damage. Bells bent, tubes bent and valves not working.(I'd post pictures if I knew how) She was very upset , as was I. I litterly went out and sat in my truck and cried....I spent money I really could not afford and just had a baby..yada yada..what was I going to do?...I phoned Jason...in short he said "sent back to me and I will see what I can do. I built it from nothing, I should be able to repair from somthing" were his words. I recieve both my trumpet and Flugel horn back. I could not tell the difference from my original horn. He sourced and installed a new bell on my flugel and it sounds fuller than the original. He repaired everything for 30% of what I thought it was going to cost, so I was extremly happy to say the least. I also had Jason make 2 mouthpieces.

I have since also ordered a C Summit. I will admit that it has been a long time coming, but being in busines myself, I know how timelines can go off the tracks. I also know that sometimes a persons best intentions can also go sideways. I'm putting my trust in, that Jason is doing the best he can given all the changes /challenges, (new shop, equipment...etc) that he has faced. I know in perfect world things would be different, but I would rather wait for a piece of art, then have piece of crap right a way.

From the lifetime of enjoyment that my horns are going to bring, the delays in delivery pale by comparison. "there will be no fine wine, untill it is time" Like I said at the beginning, this is just my storey

PS I just had another child and named him Chase
PSS my Bravura is in a Torpedo Case...it is bullet proof and my flugel is back in it's stock hard case and all sewing machines are banned from my "man cave"[/img]

Your patience smacks of a person who has been in business himself.

I have stayed out of most of these, um...discussions because I couldn't find words as eloquent and appropriate as yours.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

I have not waded through this entire thread, but I tend to agree with johnsboy. I would be hard pressed to justify paying 100% upfront for much of anything, unless there was a very firm and not-too-distant delivery date. Even in that case, I think it would be "buyer beware."

Brad361

When I ordered my Smith Watkins "soloist" cornet from Ron Phillips (the U.S. distributor) he called Richard Smith in England and asked him what the expected delivery date would be roughly. Richard said to expect it to be around 6-8 months which I had no problem with as I had another cornet and I was willing to wait for what I consider to be the finest cornet on the planet. The cost of the horn was going to be around $ 3400 in silver plate without case and with one gold plated leadpipe and shipped directly from Richard's place in England. I asked Ron what kind of deposit he needed out front to get things started and he told me $ 500. I sent him the $ 500 and in a very short time (maybe a month) Ron called me back and said that he had heard from Richard and that the horn would be delivered to my house directly from England within 6 weeks which it was in perfect, ready to go condition. I just finished a 2 hour BBB rehearsal and a 1.5 hour practice session afterwards on that very horn.

THIS is the way things are SUPPOSED to work. If they aren't workin this way - then something is very very wrong.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Monette 935 in 1993, I put about a third down and then sent money whenever I had a little extra. I was quoted a 9 month delivery time, so was able to plan and make my payments so that when the horn was finished (in about nine months), I had paid the total purchase price and could pick up my horn immediately. I felt very secure knowing that if I did not ultimately like the horn, I would be given a FULL REFUND, no questions asked. Also, I was free to cancel my order at any time during the build process for any reason, and have ALL the money I had paid in refunded IMMEDIATELY. Also adding to my sense of security about my Monette purchase was the immediate response I got from the Monette shop whenever I had a question or concern. They picked up the phone immediately EVERY time I called, and they made it clear to me that they appreciated my business. Real class!
I would never put up with being treated the way Harrelson trumpets has treated so many of their customers in the past. I have more pride than that. If someone wants a Harrelson that bad, they should probably buy a used one. There always seems to be one or more for sale in the Marketplace or on e-bay- usually at a much reduced price. Each of us must let of hearts be our guide, but for goodness sakes, enough of the lame defenses by some posters of business practices that are clearly bad.

Steve Allison
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the picture? Just so the doubting Wildmen believe that I actually did buy one.... No.... I don't know Jason ....only had one conversation during the consultation.

I think most people have got the picture.....yes there have been about 4/5 newer Harrelson horns put up for sale in the marketplace...I have easily seen as many Lawler C7's and Wild Things. In fact as posted by our OP in a previous thread he has an issue with his Wild Thing. One person who put up his Harrelson for sale told me how good it was...... the issue of the sale was mainly about the buying experience.....for which I can sympathize. It would seem that we are a sentimental lot who keep horns because someone dear bought it for us....or it has come with us on a journey of good memories.....or we have found the perfect fit for us. I am also sure many horns are sold because we fail to get on with them. There are always one year old horns in the marketplace for sale...mint condition... no dings and probably less playing time..... didn't get through the honeymoon.

I sympathise with those who have had a difficult purchase and I agree with Steve.....the situation of communication and money is less than ideal. I suspect that Jason knows this and is trying to turn it around.... most of the posts here are from a buyer perspective...turn it around ...how many could start a business from scratch and run it to the high ideals set out here. I am sure some of you have done just that.... many wouldn't know how to start a business if their life depended on it.....let alone produce something that people want. Ever had to deal with a bank and a large overdraft....you know what I am talking about!

Threads like this will raise the awareness of Harrelson Trumpets.....some prospective purchasers will say no thanks....got the message about the business end....not prepared to wait or pay up front. Others will say yes please....got the message about how good the horns are and will put up with the less than idea purchase circumstances. The long wait says a lot.... Jason is building a lot of horns relative to a small business. There was a blind sound test here on TH which included a wide variety of trumpets.... a Bravura won the poll.

The reality of this and the other related threads is that the vast majority who read them and do not post can see clearly what is going on.....from both sides of the fence........ the posts are really pretty transparent.

Walter
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:

I sympathise with those who have had a difficult purchase and I agree with Steve.....the situation of communication and money is less than ideal. I suspect that Jason knows this and is trying to turn it around.... most of the posts here are from a buyer perspective...turn it around ...how many could start a business from scratch and run it to the high ideals set out here.

I had an old friend who, when someone said they were "trying" to do something that required action, would take a quarter out of his pocket and drop it on the floor and ask the fellow to try and pick it up. When the fellow bent over to get it, my friend would say "Oh no... don't pick it up... just try and pick it up."

The point is that this has been an ongoing topic for quite a while and the solution requires a decision and specific action, which apparently Harrelson is not yet willing to make and take. According to some here, Monette and other custom makers DECIDED to take a deposit, not full payment, and DECIDED to give approximate delivery times and stick to them, and DECIDED to communicate with the buyer and give updates. I'd guess that was a decision that was made from the start too. Harrelson apparently DECIDED to do business in another manner. I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that. Changing requires... well, changing. A decision to take partial payment, give a projected completion date before the contract is signed and communicate with the buyer about progress, is apparently not a decision that Jason Harrelson is currently willing to make.

So these threads continue to come up with some regularity. Obviously the horse ain't dead yet. It's Jason who'll have to make the decision to have old Nell put down. Otherwise we'll just keep seeing these threads appear.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree..... but the use of the word "trying" sometimes involves others. Banks....overdrafts....new machines..... and a whole host of circumstances can make it difficult to bring about change. It may be possible to make a "decision" to change in life....sometimes the working out of that takes longer and involves outside help. A black and white decision for immediate change could put Jason out of business.... "cash flow" is the bane of many many small businesses. Some might "rub their hands" together at the thought....

Walter
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read he gets a lot of his parts from various suppliers to build his horns. Thus, he is at the mercy of all those suppliers to get him his parts when he's promised.

One thing can always delay shipments coming in to any business that needs those materials and parts, and that's if this happens to YOUR business, you are entering a danger zone . . .

http://www.jpbrown.com/pdcredit.htm

(Read the part that defines the common term "_____ Hold."

When I see businesses that consistently fail to meet their manufacturing dates, or merchants who consistently fail to maintain inventory, I always suspect that the above situation is the case.

"Credit Hold" is a downward spiral for most businesses, for customers get mad and cancel their orders when ship dates are missed . . . and the maker NEEDS all that deposit money from waiting customers to TRY to catch up on paying past due bills so they can get off "credit hold." Businessmen aren't gonna tell ya either when they are in trouble like this, and for obvious reasons.

When the money stops flowing in, and the businessman is on credit hold with their suppliers due to unpaid shipment bills . . . the businessman sees his banker for a loan, but bankers ain't gonna lend if a business has cash flow problems . . . particularly in this economy.

Not saying that this is the problem, but it walks and quacks like a duck . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: