• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beating a dead horse.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that he is a deadbeat and must be squeezed at times in order to keep a bargain.
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point, Tom . . . but if what you describe is the case he can certainly explain that in an email or phone call when the concerned patron tries to make contact with him. Most of us are pretty patient if the reasons for delay are explained to us.
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And maybe Wildman's last post should be reviewed by the moderators as to whether he blundered across the lines of decent behavior - I know I think so but the mods have a history of not sharing my views on such things.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
I've read he gets a lot of his parts from various suppliers to build his horns. Thus, he is at the mercy of all those suppliers to get him his parts when he's promised.

One thing can always delay shipments coming in to any business that needs those materials and parts, and that's if this happens to YOUR business, you are entering a danger zone . . .

http://www.jpbrown.com/pdcredit.htm

(Read the part that defines the common term "_____ Hold."

When I see businesses that consistently fail to meet their manufacturing dates, or merchants who consistently fail to maintain inventory, I always suspect that the above situation is the case.

"Credit Hold" is a downward spiral for most businesses, for customers get mad and cancel their orders when ship dates are missed . . . and the maker NEEDS all that deposit money from waiting customers to TRY to catch up on paying past due bills so they can get off "credit hold." Businessmen aren't gonna tell ya either when they are in trouble like this, and for obvious reasons.

When the money stops flowing in, and the businessman is on credit hold with their suppliers due to unpaid shipment bills . . . the businessman sees his banker for a loan, but bankers ain't gonna lend if a business has cash flow problems . . . particularly in this economy.

Not saying that this is the problem, but it walks and quacks like a duck . . .

And if that IS the case, it means a NEW guy has to come along to plunk down HIS deposit so the manufacturer can complete an instrument for the guy who's already waiting, and then ANOTHER new guy has to come along...

Don't anyone go looking for me at the end of THAT line...
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the truth is blunt.

I still think that first time poster is a JH shill
mdiceman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became very apprehensive in a previous thread on this topic. So, for my upcoming _ _ b.day my wife granted my wish and I got to order a custom trumpet. I had been considering a Bravura, but I chose another path.
50% down and 50% upon completion. I thought that to be quite fair. Felix Vayser, New York Trumpet Company, quoted 'about four months'. Just after the third month I received an email from Felix announcing my horn had been sent to the plater. In a follow-up call from him he said the time frame was a little loose due to not being sure when the plater would have it completed. I'm at the four month mark now, and I have absolutely no problem with it not being completed (even though I'm on pins & needles)! Information is a good thing. Knowing what's going on goes a long way. Just sayin'
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered my custom C7 from Roy Lawler he told me 2 months. After 1 month I was in the middle of a trip to New York, and he called my cell phone and told me it was done and would ship the next day. I had to tell him to push back delivery time as it was too early and I wouldn't be there to sign for a few days.

If Harrelson knows he's always pushing back deadlines, then why doesn't he just make the initial deadline longer? In addition, when I bought my Lawler 1/2 was paid at time of order and the other 1/2 paid on completion. I would never pay the full price for a horn that wasn't made yet...
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

First, let me write a couple of things. I am sorry for the OP's experience and I have nothing to do with Jason's business other than being a happy customer. I have purchased two horns from him, one being an early modified version. If I am to believe these stories here, I must have been extremely lucky, blessed or whatever because even though I got one of the first Summitt trumpets, I didn't even wait 3 months. I made sure he was the one making the horn and even with that, no problems. Maybe plating and other specialty items delay the time and since mine had none of that, maybe that was the reason. These stories are really shocking to me as my experience with Harrelson is so different and great. I sent him an email the other day and got a response from the office the next day. Bless Jason Harrelson and all of you.

P.S. As far as paying for Jasons horns, don't believe the misleading info. out there. Here's a quote from his website"All orders require a deposit before work begins with the balance due before delivery of any instrument or mouthpiece. Monthly or one-time balance payments are acceptable."
Bach Strad/Harrelson Conv.
Getzen Severinsen
Conn 8B (4-sale)
Martin Committee/Imperial (4-sale)
Olds Studio/(4-sale)
Flugelhorn:
Yamaha 231S Flugel
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cb3,

I don't think your quote from the website applies to his internet "auctions".
mikethespyke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildman, I actually had to check a dictionary to see what a shill is. I'm not a shill, just someone that thought there are typically two sides to a coin and this is my side. It is only fair for JH and potential consumers to have all the facts, so that they can make an informed desision. Unless you have personal proof that JH has failed to meet his financial obligations, it is unfair to call JH a deadbeat. Cash flow is usually one of the hardest think to manage when it comes to running a business.

TrptSTP, I don't really know how or who did the repairs on my horns. All I know is it was done, and my horns were returned to me in new condition for a very fair price. I live in Yellowknife in northern Canada at the same latiude as Alaska.(Goggle Earth it) The closest place with any repair shops is 1000 miles south of me. Since I had to ship my horns out, I was happy Jason took care of it for me.

shofarguy, thx!
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

Wildman "Truth" cannot be "blunt" something is either true or it is a "lie" I agree that the consequences of "truth" have far reaching effect and will ultimately be revealed about all of us...

Walter
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sometimes the truth is blunt."

Maybe "out in the wild" where you, apparently, reside the truth must always be revealed in a "blunt" and boorish way. In a civilized society you can (and I believe should) reveal the most unpleasant truths in a decent fashion. Doing so is not only the right thing . . . it also has a disarming effect on those inclined toward conflict. Or . . . you can harpoon the SOB.
dbleC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Cb3,

I don't think your quote from the website applies to his internet "auctions".

It does NOT. We bought an auction horn and paid in full on 1/11/10.

[Deep breath and a highly assumptive ramble] I will probably take flack for this...and I know it's a free country...I know we all have lives to live...I know he's a businessman...and every other argument on this line. But besides not having the horn in hand and the lack of communication...the thing that really grinds me is...I see all of his new listings, his online ads, his new auctions, [I'm a friend of his on FB] I see all of his posts for trips to NY, all of the invitations to join his classes or participate in his online chats....even read his constant posts on FB...I have even written on his FB wall to ask about the status only to see the post get deleted. I have emailed him in FB, no response. Yet he is on FB all the time. Just seems there is plenty of time to do everything but finish this paid in full order.

[exhale]
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self deleted; nothing new to say on the subject.

Last edited by Brad361 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikethespyke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbleC, I think you misunderstood LittleRusty. What he is saying is that if you puchase a horn from him directly, it is a down payment. If you puchase a horn through Ebay, as I did, you pay the full amount. I think this would be because we purchased our horns at reduce price. FYI, I notice that the Order Update page on Harrelson's site has been updated, with my horn scheduled in a little over a week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsboy wrote:
"Sometimes the truth is blunt."

Maybe "out in the wild" where you, apparently, reside the truth must always be revealed in a "blunt" and boorish way. In a civilized society you can (and I believe should) reveal the most unpleasant truths in a decent fashion. Doing so is not only the right thing . . . it also has a disarming effect on those inclined toward conflict. Or . . . you can harpoon the SOB.

the boor here is you jb

Like I said before

Do you ever stay on topic?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikethespyke wrote:
dbleC, I think you misunderstood LittleRusty. What he is saying is that if you puchase a horn from him directly, it is a down payment. If you puchase a horn through Ebay, as I did, you pay the full amount. I think this would be because we purchased our horns at reduce price. FYI, I notice that the Order Update page on Harrelson's site has been updated, with my horn scheduled in a little over a week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mike,

I thought that dbleC was agreeing with me.
dbleC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that followed this...
yet another unmet deadline and yet another estimated completion date that passed. The website now shows a completion date of 10/23. But hey, at least we got a call this time. Only to be told that the bell supplier dropped the ball and that JH would be busy or out of town or something. "So it may be a while yet." Seems odd that others listed from the same purchase time are listed as shipped or complete. What gives? Will most likely be a year to take delivery. Man, I hope this thing plays like a dream.
dbleC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH's current FB status: "Harrelson Trumpets: ‎15 Bravura Trumpets shipping this week! Photos and high quality recordings on the way...on Tuesday"
How could they ship if the bell supplier didnt supply the bells?
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! All I can say is, "unbelievable, unless it's on TH". I will never get used to the conjecture on TH that over time becomes "fact" when repeatedly purported by some members. This doesn't just apply to me and my business. I read hundreds of "facts" here that are far from true.

If ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD questions whether or not I build my own instruments, COME TO MY SHOP AND WATCH ME. You only need take one look at my hands to know I work with metal all day.

If ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD thinks I'm not working with deliberate and focused dedication to my clients day after day, week after week, year after year in the pursuit of delivering my products in a timely manner, COME VISIT MY SHOP.

If ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (this includes wildman) questions my ethics, waiting list, build schedule, business tactics, etc. then COME VISIT MY SHOP and I will personally show you how we work.

There are no secrets or controversial things happening here. We are four hard working people who put our minds, backs and positive nature into serving the trumpet community.

If you want to question the quality or claims of my products, I WELCOME ANY OF YOU TO PERFORM LAB AND REAL LIFE PLAYING TESTS ON ANY OF MY PRODUCTS. Physics is real and my designs are in fact grounded in the nature of the physical universe. 95% of my sales are repeat or word of mouth customers. Ninety-five percent!

If any of you would like to continue this ridiculous controversy on TH or anywhere else, I welcome that as well. Spreading rumors and lies will only reveal the true nature of Harrelson Trumpets and me personally. I WELCOME YOUR SCRUTINY AND APPRECIATE THE FREE ADVERTISING. I have devoted my life to the art of trumpet, acoustic design, machining and business in the pursuit of serving YOU.

You are all welcome to call me to discuss your questions. Despite claims of not being able to reach us at 651.330.7774 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              651.330.7774      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, we receive dozens of phone calls daily and do a lot more business than you may realize. We do not deal with customer service issues on facebook. That website is a social networking place for sharing photos, videos and the like. Jen is our web expert (including facebook) and she does not deal with customer service so sending messages to facebook will only delay your reply. Simply call Paul at 651.330.7774 or 952.221.0463 and he will help you immediately or send an email, we answer ALL OF THEM. He is excellent with customers and will go directly to me if necessary to answer your question in a timely manner. With all of this said, we do receive in excess of 200 questions per week so please be patient as it does take time to respond to everyone. It is also helpful to receive all of your questions in one email rather than asking a new question with each reply.

Thank you to everyone who has criticized me. Though I do not enjoy the process, I do agree that we are all free to pursue our dreams even if your dream happens to be inventing a new way to disgrace my name. I will continue to stand in the face of your misplaced negative energy while building horns for your fellow musicians.

THANK YOU to every single person alive who has ever said or done anything positive to reinforce and encourage my growth as Jason Harrelson. At thirty-six years old, I know I have been very fortunate to have experienced and learned so much only to continually understand that there is so much more to be discovered. I am a student of the world and am proud to serve all of you.

Remember to smile, laugh and bring out the best in those around you.

Jason Harrelson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: