• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beating a dead horse.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbleC wrote:
JH's current FB status: "Harrelson Trumpets: ‎15 Bravura Trumpets shipping this week! Photos and high quality recordings on the way...on Tuesday"
How could they ship if the bell supplier didnt supply the bells?

From Thread
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100457
JasonHarrelson wrote:
Good question! While moving my ENTIRE shop in the past year and setting up several new machines, my waiting list lagged on some orders dependent on specific configurations. However, with the exception of the #7 bell instruments, my waiting list is 40-60 days on almost all instrument orders.

Is the OP's horn a #7 Bell?

Which brings the question, when you buy a "custom horn" how much is made by the end manufacturer, and how much is traditionally farmed out?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:

Which brings the question, when you buy a "custom horn" how much is made by the end manufacturer, and how much is traditionally farmed out?

Cue: Don Miles

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.

Last edited by shofarguy on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbleC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a #7. And to JH's credit, there was additional communication from Paul today. Maybe it's a case of the "squeaky wheel". Not sure. We simply want the horn. Happy to post about the horn once it's in hand.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "touchy--feely" post from Jason. How come he never explains why he never returns calls or e-mails from particular posters who have had problems? Instead we get "Aw shucks, I'm just a hard working guy. Can't we all get along? I'm so busy at the shop. My ethics are above reproach. Why do posters pick on me, etc.,etc." If Jason wants my trust and the trust of others on this forum, all he needs to do is give a reasonable explanation for ignoring each SPECIFIC poster who brings up the lack response to legitimate phone calls and e-mails. Heaven knows there have been enough of them. So okay, Jason, why did you ignore the original poster after taking his money way back in January of this year? In your post you say, "despite claims of not being able to reach us...." So are you saying the original poster is a liar when he said attempts at communication with you were futile? Just once, would you please explain why you never got back to the original poster? Or if you did, please let us know when and how.

Steve Allison
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian not sure what you are saying about Don Miles...... I suspect that it is that he builds every part of his horns.... ?

The other side to the cue is that (not sure exactly how long ago) Don Miles posted his last post here on TH.... the sxxt hit the fan and I am not surprised he left.... sad day when these guys are lost to us because of a very small group...... I still miss Dan and many others who no longer post and actually made a contribution .......

Steve your post is predictable yet surprising...It would be inappropriate to talk openly on a public forum about the detail of communication with a "specific" client...from your professional background you know that....

I think if you really are so concerned about what is true and what is not you would do us all a favour. For all those you think you champion.....take Jason up on his offer and go to his shop.......ask all the questions you have....see for yourself...blow a few horns while you are at it and then come and report back. If you are really serious and not just trolling for another 50 page thread you would do that for us.

I feel sorry for Jason ...after the last 50 pager he had an influx of 80 - 100 orders for horns..... it seems that "beating the dead horse" has consequences all around. Jason gets extra busy and then struggles to get the horns out .........

Walter

Edited date because of error on Don Miles last post on TH

Last edited by Retlaw on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
The other side to the cue is that exactly one year ago Don Miles posted his last post here on TH....

I'm pretty sure I saw what is purported to be his "last post" here myself, and I haven't even been a member here for a year yet. How "exact" is this, or did he do it more than once, and you missed one?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Another "touchy--feely" post from Jason. How come he never explains why he never returns calls or e-mails from particular posters who have had problems? Instead we get "Aw shucks, I'm just a hard working guy. Can't we all get along? I'm so busy at the shop. My ethics are above reproach. Why do posters pick on me, etc.,etc." If Jason wants my trust and the trust of others on this forum, all he needs to do is give a reasonable explanation for ignoring each SPECIFIC poster who brings up the lack response to legitimate phone calls and e-mails. Heaven knows there have been enough of them. So okay, Jason, why did you ignore the original poster after taking his money way back in January of this year? In your post you say, "despite claims of not being able to reach us...." So are you saying the original poster is a liar when he said attempts at communication with you were futile? Just once, would you please explain why you never got back to the original poster? Or if you did, please let us know when and how.

Steve Allison

I agree, Steve. While it is very possible for any business person to be unfairly criticized, there seems to be a distinct pattern with regards to JH. We hear a lot of excuses from him, but then we continue to see his constant advertising in the Marketplace and on eBay. Not to mention his "goodbye forever to TH" (not an exact quote, but you get the idea), followed by more comments and advertising. I have no axe to grind with the guy, and I really hope he gets his stuff together and continues in business, as he supposedly (never played one myself) does build great horns. But inept business practices will sink any company, regardless of how terrific their product.

Brad361

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Retlaw wrote:
The other side to the cue is that exactly one year ago Don Miles posted his last post here on TH....

I'm pretty sure I saw what is purported to be his "last post" here myself, and I haven't even been a member here for a year yet. How "exact" is this, or did he do it more than once, and you missed one?

Looks like I got the date wrong... I checked on his profile and thought I saw that date although I thought at the time that he had posted more recently. Looks like a lot of the content on his posts has been deleted. Still the date wasn't the real point.....

Walter
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

It bothers me too that Jason has implied both in this thread and the other thread that the OP(s) were mistaken about not being able to contact him. I simply cannot believe that someone who is waiting for a horn would take the chance of making it up in a public forum.

But it really isn't our business. It is private between the OP and Jason.

Edit: the reason for the communication issue isn't our business. I do think it is appropriate to discuss business practices.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Beating a dead horse. Reply with quote

Jason,

Just why are you turning everything around?
Maybe the original poster tried to contact you through the wrong medium, but it is not the client who should investigate why there are delays; it is the seller's responsibility and obligation to inform the buyer what's going on.

Apart from everything else, things are really as simple as this:
Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
dbleC wrote:
...This is the third or fourth completion date so far. Terrible experience...

Everyone is willing to wait for months or even years as long as the AGREED delivery time is not being postponed SEVERAL times. It's bad business that can't be justified by any means, especially after having paid the FULL amount.
That's all there is to it, great instrument made by a great player or not.

Let me make it clear to you that personally I am not by any means questioning you as a person, your playing or the quality of your instruments.

MvW.
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ouch - Wildman says I am a boor. I thought the topic was business practices and the boorish remarks some folks make in response to poor ones. If that's the case I was on topic. I'm sure you are the boor - why deflect the title upon me when you, obviously, work so hard to be thought of as boorish? Revel in the compliment.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another apologist who totally misses the mark.

Steve is actually spot on in my opinion.

No one is slagging the quality of his horns that I can see. No one is even slagging the wait period. What people have an issue with is the fact that delivery dates slip, no contact is made, and on several occasions now the buyer has had to wait weeks to get a call or any info, and only after he has posted here. In all cases the posted acted with what I would call superhu8man restraint before they even posted here.

If you don't think that's outrageous, well, what can I say? Whatever. However, in my opinion, apologists have no higher ground occupy.

Retlaw wrote:
Hey Brian not sure what you are saying about Don Miles...... I suspect that it is that he builds every part of his horns.... ?

The other side to the cue is that (not sure exactly how long ago) Don Miles posted his last post here on TH.... the sxxt hit the fan and I am not surprised he left.... sad day when these guys are lost to us because of a very small group...... I still miss Dan and many others who no longer post and actually made a contribution .......

Steve your post is predictable yet surprising...It would be inappropriate to talk openly on a public forum about the detail of communication with a "specific" client...from your professional background you know that....

I think if you really are so concerned about what is true and what is not you would do us all a favour. For all those you think you champion.....take Jason up on his offer and go to his shop.......ask all the questions you have....see for yourself...blow a few horns while you are at it and then come and report back. If you are really serious and not just trolling for another 50 page thread you would do that for us.

I feel sorry for Jason ...after the last 50 pager he had an influx of 80 - 100 orders for horns..... it seems that "beating the dead horse" has consequences all around. Jason gets extra busy and then struggles to get the horns out .........

Walter

Edited date because of error on Don Miles last post on TH

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose the "apologist" comment is directed at me...... can't be anyone else. I have been known to "miss the mark" in my time....even intentionally sometimes...... My intention here has been to just be a witness and speak from that position but I do like to see fair play all around...and perhaps I have crossed the line when I don't feel that is happening. You will all be thrilled to know that on this issue I now rest. I have said my piece and the hundreds who don't post on this thread can make up their own mind. Time to walk from this because really there is nothing new to say.

Bona Gratia

Walter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: