• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke E3 on Ebay. Thoughts and horn flippers.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Schilke E3 on Ebay. Thoughts and horn flippers. Reply with quote

I just lost a bidding war for a Schilke E3. Darn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230515449389

Anyone here get this one? It was less than $500 with just a few minutes left. Being on Friday night, I figured it would go cheap(er) - not that it isn't worth much more than it's final bid.

On the other hand, my wallet thanks me.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take heart! You would have spent a lot of money on slides after taking a huge chance on it's condition. It isn't even worth the opening bid price. Wisemann makes a better Eb/D than that and you can get one for less than $1,000.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have time to figure out how much extra slides to Eb would run. That was my next task - if I won.

I do have a Eb already. It's pretty nice. It's a frankenhorn I got from my trumpet teacher in High School. It looks like a Getzen valve block, a Bach C trumpet bell (229 or 239, can't tell), and a 25H leadpipe for $600 - back in the mid 90's. I used it on my auditions for college on the Hummel and Haydn and it worked great.

I had an option to buy a silver Getzen 300 (I think) Eb/D at the same time for $400. It was in pristine shape, but didn't play anywhere near as nice as the ugly looking frankenhorn - in it's rusty raw brass-ness. Sadly, while the frankenhorn plays in D - in theory - in practice it's basically an Eb with a D side that's badly out of tune - in my opinion.

My teacher was parting with it because he bought a Bach 189 that would serve him better in orchestra - he thought. I played them both and thought I got the better end of that deal.

Still, for $450-500 the Schilke looked nice enough. I could have possibly used it for some weddings I might have to do in the distant future on the D side. I've never sprung for a piccolo - someday I'll do that. Also, it would be good for the lower orchestral baroque parts (2nd or 3rd part). Plus, I could add the other Eb slides at some future point. I was willing to go into the $600's (including shipping) but not into the $700s. I thought with the total lack of activity on it, that it might slip by and I'd get a real shot at it for not much. Ah well.

There was a Yamaha Eb cornet that I passed on a few months ago that was mislabeled as a Bb - could have got that for between $300-400, but I felt cheap. Those I've played and thought were decent horns. I've been kicking myself about that ever since. The Schilke I've never played.

More money for the next one, I guess.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Schilke E3,thoughts Reply with quote

Hello all,
If I remember correctly, I played on one of these back in school. It had only a single slide to change to Eb. At the time, Yamaha had come out with their version and it included a full set of slides for both keys. I paid $475 for one of those back in the day. I think that the Yamaha may have played better, at least that is what I thought at the time. I have owned a Bach EL in the past, and currently have another listed in the marketplace. I think that if you are serious about D/Eb horns, you need to step up to the Schilke E3L or at least the Yamaha version.
I personally found that I can play all the D trumpet stuff on C or Pic, and if I need to play any Eb trumpet, I use my Eb soprano cornet. It plays so much better in tune than any Eb trumpet I have tried. I do have an interesting D horn that I play every few years, just to get it out of the case. Anyway, I don't think that it is any great loss that you missed out on the horn, though the serial number was low enough to have some, almost vintage value.
tclement
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Schilke E2 Eb/D trumpet.

I also own a Schilke E3L-4 and two Schilke soprano cornets (beryllium and regular bells).

They all play differently and have different sound characteristics. I prefer the E2 right now. I haven't played the D side yet.

I noticed horntrader has a "minty" E3 for sale. His picture looks very similar to my E2 and has 4 D and 4 Eb slides Maybe the valve slides were custom made. I've read other posts referring to the E3 having only a D and Eb tuning slide to change.

There is also a E3 (D only) for sale at Dillons.

I haven't found an explanation of the difference between the E2 and E3 models.

-Tim
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I'm not sad that I missed out on paying some over $700 on the horn, I'm bummed that I didn't get it for the $530 that I was winning it for until the last 25 seconds or so. I didn't really get sniper-ed, since I had a chance to bid higher, I just didn't go above my self-determined ceiling. People are supposed to not be paying attention on Friday night!

I figured a D horn would be fun, a little handy, reasonable at that price, and not totally suck if it's a vintage Schilke. Getting the Eb slides eventually would be fun, too.

A "serious" Eb is further down on my list of actual needs. A piccolo comes first. I've liked the Eb Cornets I've played too, and it would possibly come in handy in an ensemble I play in. Like I said, I've already got a Eb that plays quite good - an opinion that is shared by all of the people that have borrowed it over the years - even though it's not a Schilke E3L. I'm always looking for more ways to use it - something I should try harder at.

Originally, I actually thought the horn in the auction WAS a E2, but I did find those examples at Horntrader and Dillons which made me realize it was a E3. I too, have no idea what the difference is.

Eh. Life goes on...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
tclement
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago , I missed out on a Bach-Malone conversion Eb/D.

The buy it now price was very reasonable. I got greedy and put in a bid $50 under the buy it now. I assumed since it was summer nobody would be looking for that horn.

In the last few minutes, the horn bid up 2x the buy it now price.

Still kick'n myself.

-Tim
tclement
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horntrader's youtube demonstration of the E3 says it is a .450 bore.

The E2 is a ML .460 bore
7839daniel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke's are awesome! Hard to not like them all.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclement wrote:

I haven't found an explanation of the difference between the E2 and E3 models.

-Tim

The E2 is a larger bore.

I was watching that bidding war as well! I have not played one but have heard that the E3L simply tunes and resonates much better, which is why the E3L has become the "standard" Eb/D over the E3.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to bid, but the seller only allowed bidders with a US shipping address. I asked him to exempt me from the restriction. Not sure if his response was sarcasm or if he couldn't get it done before I had to leave the computer.

I was not going to be at the computer when it ended and was trying to put in a max bid somewhere over $700. The seller could have got more $, but as discussed in another thread, his bidder restrictions restricted the money in his pocket.

No hard feelings on my end. I have a Kanstul D/Eb that is an incredible player. I was curious to see how this old Schilke D played and figured it was worth $700 to find out.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
I was curious to see how this old Schilke D played and figured it was worth $700 to find out.

While I can totally relate to that, it's been my experience that spouses don't often share such logic...
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
I was curious to see how this old Schilke D played and figured it was worth $700 to find out.

That was my thought too.

John Mohan wrote:
While I can totally relate to that, it's been my experience that spouses don't often share such logic...

I imagine. I, however, don't have that issue.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an E2 (larger bore of the non-tuning bell Schilkes) since around 1972. I purchased also with it a full set of D slides (E, in E3 is Eb). It has always worked for me when ever I needed an Eb or D and a lot of the guys around here borrow it when they want to do Haydn, Hummel and the like, so it must be a good horn in their eyes. Sadly, I've rarely used it since I bought a pic years ago.

$700 should've been a great price on that horn unless it was really beaten up or modified. To anyone that might disagree, I'd buy just about any trumpet with the Schilke stamp on it that was in good playable condition (that was made in USA) for $700, and I don't have to worry about what the old lady would think, either.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. Now I've got loser's regret. Alas.

Being frugal is great for the pocketbook, but sometimes it doesn't give you the freedom to make a few nice spur-of-the moment purchases. Anything over a couple hundred, I usually have to ponder for some time. Again, that's good, but sometimes I've passed up some nice deals for stuff that would be cool or handy because of it.

Sigh.

The wallet's still quite happy, though. So confusing.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wisemann is a better horn than the Schilke. I remember that the D2 was the biggest bore and bell that Schilke offered in a D at the time.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, so I periodically do a search on Schilkes on Ebay.

Here's the one I didn't win on Ebay. I'm over that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230515449389&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Today I found this. Damn horn flippers. Let those of us who actually want to play them, have a chance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260665245258&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Eh.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Today I found this. Damn horn flippers. Let those of us who actually want to play them, have a chance.

I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that these people are out just to make a quick buck. I know, I know, Free enterprise, if you wanted it that bad you could have out bid him..... Still isn't right in my opinion.
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinci-sop wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that these people are out just to make a quick buck. I know, I know, Free enterprise, if you wanted it that bad you could have out bid him..... Still isn't right in my opinion.

Well, yes, I could have bid more. I admit, I wanted a bargain. I don't mind losing, and I'm not really sad (anymore) that I lost at that price.

Basically, I just find it ridiculous that he's taking the same horn, adding a flimsy gig bag and trying to sell it for $300 more. It's just sleazy, that's all.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed sad to see the horns flipped for more than they went for originally. Especially when we were bidding on them. However, I haven't seen quinntheeskimo's horns be jumped in price quite like some other guys on there. Hot deals has some that I've bid against and have seen him more than double from the selling price.... C'mon guys, can't they just let us win the one's that are actually gonna get played
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: