• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Great Interview with Chris Botti...Read and you'll get the c

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.backstagestories.com/botti_interview.html

jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interviewer sounds like a real dingaling, but Botti's comments are pretty interesting.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, Jim.
John
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that takes me back to my IU student days. We'd all play routine from 7 or 8 am until lunch. Take a lunch break and go to Jazz Band. After Band, Chris & I would go do our tune practice. For 2 years we met almost every afternoon for an hour or so. We'd do 2 tunes a week. One would be a blues or Rhythm tune and the other would be a standard.

I'd play the head, then he'd play the head, I'd blow a chorus and then he'd blow a chorus. Take it up a half-step and do the same thing. Every afternoon trading choruses on 2 tunes in 12 keys with someone else who can play was a great way for both of us to get our changes together.

Of course we'd all be back up there in the practice rooms after supper for another 4 or 5 hours of practice. Botti wasn't kidding when he said he practiced 8-11 hours a day. Almost all of us did. If you were in Mr. Adam's studio and you only practiced 3 or 4 hours per day (not counting rehearsals and gigs) you were considered a slacker.

The trumpet section in David Baker's IU jazz band my first year was Botti, me, John Harbaugh, Bob Burns, Jim Hale, and David Sturm. I don't think I've played in such a well-disciplined section since.

Those were the days!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2003-06-17 22:56 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-17 22:54, PH wrote:

Botti wasn't kidding when he said he practiced 8-11 hours a day. Almost all of us did. If you were in Mr. Adam's studio and you only practiced 3 or 4 hours per day (not counting rehearsals and gigs) you were considered a slacker.

Those were the days!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2003-06-17 22:56 ]

Just currious, Pat. Did you and Botti take any other course work at IU other than trumpet? I mean if you guys did 11 hours a day practicing, plus the band rehearsals, etc., then it's off to do the homework required for english lit., biology, math, theory, music history, whatever else might be required for the degree?
Larry Smithee
Larry Smithee

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2003-06-20 17:25 ]
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading that article, I didn't get the impression that Botti went to class or even got a degree for that matter. I believe he went to NY after he felt he got what he needed trumpet playing wise at IU. He seems to have soaked in all he could from Bill Adam and that was his MO for attending IU. Just my humble opinion.
PH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember Chris graduating, but I do remember him paying his theory and music history dues (along with improv class, jazz history, etc.). Lots of the guys there at the time were doing school and Mr. Adam's studio until they were ready and connected to a gig. It kind of reminds me of the NBA pre-draft camps in a way.

I left IU one 3-credit music history class and a recital away from finishing my Master's. I came back and nailed that in a summer session a couple of years after I started teaching at Cincinnati.

At the time I was fitting all of that woodshedding around reasonable class attendance (gpa well over 3), gigging as much as a could, a teaching assistantship, adjunct teaching at another nearby college, being a husband, being daddy to 2 pre-schoolers...and drinking enough coffee to float a naval battalion or two! I think I slept 4-5 hours anight for 2 and a half years. It's amazing what you can do when you are inspired by your peers and teachers and scared to death of the responsibilities life has thrust upon you.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: dbacon on 2003-09-23 23:12 ]
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you guys say you practiced 8-11 hours, what do you actually mean? Is that 8 hours of horn on the face blowing, 8 hours of singing, playing, ect, or 2 hours of playing with 6 hours of checking yourself out in the mirror to make sure you look cool (which what its all about, right? )? Is it the Mendez thing of "I practice 6 hours, but it take me 12 hours to do it?"
I just can't imagine having a horn sitting on my face for 11 hours. I remember in school spending long hours (early in the morning till the wee hours of the morning) using the practice facilities, and maybe only a few of the most obsessive compulsive piano players practiced 11 hours.
Just curious what it means when those numbers are through around.
Thanks
PH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam students would buddy up to practice whenever they could. This was partly to force you to rest as much as you play in a session. It was also partly because practice rooms were at a premium and when there were 30 trumpet players all trying to get in the practice rooms for 6-12 hours a day there just weren't enough rooms. It seems that the fiddle players assumed that they also deserved the right to practice (little did they know).

Therefore, if I played long tones for 20 minutes at the beginning of the day it would really be 10 minutes of chop time. I'd play a note. My partner would play the same note. I'd play another (s)he would play another, etc.

In a typical 8 hour day I'd play 4 or 5 pages out of Schlossberg, 1 or 2 Clarke studies (including extending the range beyond where the book stops), 10 or 15 pages of Arban, some Ernest Williams, 10 or 12 pages of Getchell, 5 or 6 Charliers, an hour of jazz scales and patterns, a couple of hours of working on jazz tunes, and my ensemble parts. I wouldn't necessarily be buddied up with the same person through all of this, but I would almost always be teamed with someone.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2003-06-21 20:27 ]
trumpity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss those days! Great work outs via trading off!

Kim Petersen

Botti practiced his 'ass'off..as we all did..loved Miles Davis' sound..copied that concept.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: