• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Opus 7 Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: King Opus 7 Cornet Reply with quote

I have a King Opus 7 Cornet, that has been in a closet since the mid 80's.
I remember i picked it up in a small music store in Manhattan. Don't remember what i paid for it. I bought it used. But pretty much quit playing completely about that time. Anyway, was wondering if anybody knows anything about this horn. the only thing i have found is that it is pretty rare, although i have seen an ad for sale on ebay for one and also a couple that have been for sale in internet antigue stores. It supposedly was their top-of-the-line horn in the late 70's. Anybody have one or know about them?
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have one and a copy of the ad that ran in Downbeat magazine. I really like the short throw valves. It sounds quite nice and the build quality is excellent.

I don`t know if the design was ever perpetuated in the newer Lgend model.

Cheers,

Brian
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reponse brian,

i have one in lacquer, i agree about the valves, they are great, silky smooth, i need to get a mouthpiece for it however, i'm not satisfied with the bach pieces i have. i am going to get a curry tc piece, to match the rims of my curry trumpet pieces. I was curious about how many people might have this horn. Not really knowing alot about cornets, i figured i'd get a little more feedback, but that's ok, i appreciate your reply.

thanks
tom
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: King Opus 7 Cornet Reply with quote

Hello,There has been a E-Bay seller offering one of this model on E-Bay. Has been listed as New/Old Stock with no pictures. The Auction for this Cornet running on E-bay for a long,long while.

On e-Bay,there was a nice complete KMI Musical Ad on this Model King Cornet. Was in the King Trumpet/Cornet Musical Ads listing. It had all the specs/ stats and pic. parts features/ break down of the King Opus#7 Cornet.

The one mentioned above and others that have been offered on E-Bay were priced way to high. Never saw any sold or bidded on. Not knocking these Cornets. Never owned one. I am a King Trumpet/ Cornet Fan.

I have a 1976 KMI Pro- King Golden Flair Trumpet and two H.N. White King Master Cornets made in 1938/1948.

Was interersted in the KMI made King #7 Opus Cornet. But did not read any good reviews about them on the Brass Review site. So due to these E-Bay sellers asking ridiculous prices for them,have in past just moved on to something else.

If you both have had very good results with your King Opus #7 Cornets. Would not hurt to put some input about this model on the Brass Review site.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Great minds etc., I use a Curry 3VC with mine and I like the mid and low register. The horn tends to get a lot brighter above the staff but not strident.
I would be interested in your evaluation of the TC model which I have been thinking about as well.

Cheers,

Brian
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an old ad for it...

Looks similar to the 1980's Model 2003, but the bore size is different.

deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny, the listed bore size in the ad is .458, yet to me, it has always felt alot larger than that, very free blowing. But again, i don't think i have a good mouthpiece for it. soon though.
thanks for all the info. !!!
tom
mcgyver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
it's funny, the listed bore size in the ad is .458, yet to me, it has always felt alot larger than that, very free blowing. But again, i don't think i have a good mouthpiece for it. soon though.
thanks for all the info. !!!
tom

Yes, I know this is an old item, but still.

You could be right.

I have one too, and under the third valve slide of mine is engraved: . 598

I don't know what that means in THAT place. Is it the diameter of the third valve slideor ....??

It sure feels like a VERY large bore.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I had loaned my King Opus 7 to a friend and just got it back.
The three mystery numbers stamped on the underside of your third valve slide are the last three digits of the serial number on the valve casing. Mine is 689 so you have seniority.
I guess the numbers were stamped on the slide to match it up with the body during final assembly. Cheers, Brian
mcgyver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. Came to the same conclusion after I posted my message. It is often done this way, so very stupid of me not to think of that before.
mcgyver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Study888: if you ever find one, don't hesitate. Don't believe the brassreview reviews on this horn.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my King "2003" cornet, the 1980 successor to the Opus 7.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
This is my King "2003" cornet, the 1980 successor to the Opus 7.

Yours is beautiful !!
All i can say is thank god i kept it. It's the reason i am playing today. I had gave up playing trumpet, But my wife who had never heard me play really, thought that my two young sons might like hearing me play, that started me back on the journey of rediscovery of how to play this thing again. This time around it has been easier, maybe just age, experience, internet, exposure, absorption of info, who knows, but it's a lot easier this time around which makes it a whole lot more fun.

regards,
tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: