• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pro Trumpet Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul Coliseum (Col 103) ( .470 w/an open bell flare)

Mario Corso Flugel (.475 bore)

Getzen Bass Trumpet (modified: has an added f-rotor section and a removable tilt bell).

Leinbacher Saxopete (large bore trumpet shaped like a saxaphone)

Holton MF Trombone
jbq

Last edited by James B. Quick on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am rather partial to my Buescher Super Aristocrat. It is a very solid horn but not at all heavy I would call it a standard weight trumpet. It can do dark and smoky or brighten up and be rather brilliant with the right MP. A lot of people claim it is a a poor mans LB Martin but I think I will pass on going their now that I have had it a while and just say that it is easy to make it sound dark and smoky! Not as pretty as the earlier 2 piece style Buescher valve case's but still a well built horn. Kind of funny really because the shape of the bell kind of reminds you of a Bach 37 bell but it does not sound like a Bach 37 bell at all. I think the bell is heavier slightly then most trumpets not massively but enough that you notice the weight is to the outside of the horn.

This horn is one that breaks the rules because the throat and bore are not that big at all but is sounds and plays like a much bigger horn. Some of the smoothest pistons ever!If ever you get the chance to pick one up at a good price I think most would like it.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky to have accumulated a few pro level horns, selling a few, getting a few others.

8310Z - day to day horn for big band, but I've been experimenting with it in more legit settings. Not bad. Boyd Hood of the LA Phil has/had one (but has dozens of others as well). Takes more air than you think, so a smaller mpc setup seem to work best for this horn. Watch out upstairs, she'll back up, but don't just plop on some large hatted, big throated toilet bowl to compensate. It will not work properly (for me and many others, lipshurt!). Go big and stay low on the Z. Still the king of the gig bag.

Martin Committee- M bore (unmarked #2). can do it all: lead, small jazz, concert band. I don't play it enough out of the house. May do so next week (thanks for reminding me!)

Conn 22B, early 20's vintage - don't let the small .438 bore fool you, this horn can flat out play. What a big sound, yet bright and projects like heck. Need to get the valves redone. Next project. Keep up with all the Bachs in our brass quintet. Doesn't like to scream, but neither do I.

Selmer Paris K-Mod 24B- prettiest horn of the batch, original honey lacquer at 100%, if you don't mind. That French girl goes anywhere. Great set of overtones, go to horn for BQuintet. Most underrated horns in the world. My old trpt teacher had his stolen years ago, still misses it.

Harrelson Bravura - for sale-- I have others I end up playing more-- but the most distinctive sound of any I own. Perfect small jazz horn, but throw on a tighter backbore and you can tear a wall down. CRAZY Big sound.

Olds Super Recording - this horn amazes me everytime she's played. Crystaline sound but not at all too bright. I can't get over what can be done with the SR. It's not the most modern of sounds, but a strait ahead blow, no guess work, and insanely accurate intonation. Just played her today.

Olds Recording - had it redone at Kanstul. Gorgeous look, BIG sound. Darker than most Olds I've owned or played, but has a sparkle. Slots like a mother.

Conn 40B - an art deco wonder. Piercing sound, great for old skool big band when you're playing lots of Duke or Basie-- it was THE horn of the day-- rimless bell and the most stunning engraving.

Don't forget the '22 Boston Vega Standard - great scale, unbelievable condition and you get them for a song. Martin Dansant, another winner (for sale).

What's amazing to know going into the vintage/pro category is that with modern mpcs and playing concepts, one can get a sound that can fit in well today. The 22B is a great example.

I'm a lucky bastard.

ed
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shires C-TA model (designed for me by the best in the biz IMO)
either A Shires Destino or Sonare 800 for lead
Shires 5bell C

Adams Flugelhorn (best horn I've ever owned or played... and that's a lot)

Scherzer Pic
ACB doubler's pic (actually better to play Brandenburg on)

Conn Circus Bore Cornet (I'm restoring it... should be a nice project)
Conn Victor 6a long cornet.
King Silvertone Cornet from '34... such a sweet sounding axe

Soon to be adding a Harry James 23A Balanced back from Mark Metzler who's completely restoring it!

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
bubbatrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King super 20 symphony silver sonic (1966)
holton 48 (1946)
yamaha flugel (2006)
king perfecto improved maybe prototype (1909)

bubbatrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TrentAustin"]Shires C-TA model (designed for me by the best in the biz IMO)
either A Shires Destino or Sonare 800 for lead
Shires 5bell C

Adams Flugelhorn (best horn I've ever owned or played... and that's a lot)

Scherzer Pic
ACB doubler's pic (actually better to play Brandenburg on)

Conn Circus Bore Cornet (I'm restoring it... should be a nice project)
Conn Victor 6a long cornet.
King Silvertone Cornet from '34... such a sweet sounding axe

Soon to be adding a Harry James 23A Balanced back from Mark Metzler who's completely restoring it!

Best,
T[/quote]

yes! is it a harry james model, or one that e actually played? i was not awa re that it was called the harry james model.
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Cool! Reply with quote

Quote:
You might be surprised, but I've used my 38b on several occasions, like West Side Story and a couple of programs with film scores.

Very cool, Maarten! Now we need photos - preferably with your colleagues staring confusedly at the Conn interloper, with their Bachs firmly in hand
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cool! Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Quote:
You might be surprised, but I've used my 38b on several occasions, like West Side Story and a couple of programs with film scores.

Very cool, Maarten! Now we need photos - preferably with your colleagues staring confusedly at the Conn interloper, with their Bachs firmly in hand

No pics available, but my colleagues used a Yamaha NY-Bb and a Bach 43.
A bit of a weird mix, but it certainly did the trick.
And btw, that 38b sounded sooo incredibly sweet in the softer solos of the film scores.

MvW.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See below.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool! Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Yammie wrote:
Quote:

No pics available, but my colleagues used a Yamaha NY-Bb and a Bach 43.
A bit of a weird mix, but it certainly did the trick.
And btw, that 38b sounded sooo incredibly sweet in the softer solos of the film scores.

MvW.

Good news for the Connophiles here. A mixture of timbres can do the trick. But even solo, from the basement, my lady she still comes to the door to say: "Honey, I like what you're practicing" when I'm on a Connquest 77B from 1963. Go figure. And no one even blinked when I used a 28A cornet with the original Connie 7CW mpc. jWhere? At church, in a quintet. Hey now!

As they say: "Beauty is in the hand of the beerholder."
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Quote:

Not to contradict your point on the versatility of the 38B, but I think that may have had a wee bit to do with who was holding it!
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{>.[].<}

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Quote:

Not to contradict your point on the versatility of the 38B, but I think that may have had a wee bit to do with who was holding it!

Hey, thanks for that!
However, contrary to playing other trumpets, everyone who's ever held a Connstellation knows that 98% of what comes out of its bell depends on that instrument, not the player.

MvW.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing a 1947 Olds Super. The sound, response and valves are just superb. The one horn that seems to give it a run for it's money is a gold plated Mt. Vernon Bach Strad. It is a Medium Bore horn with a big beautiful sound. I don't have the control with it that I have with the Super but in certain situations the sound is just amazing. However, I keep being drawn back to the Super.

Mike
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Yammie wrote:
Quote:

Hey, thanks for that!
However, contrary to playing other trumpets, everyone who's ever held a Connstellation knows that 98% of what comes out of its bell depends on that instrument, not the player.

MvW.

Then I guess I must not be holding my 38B correctly, Martin! *LOL!*
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big Calicchio fan...I am currently playing a Yamaha 8340EM Eric Miyashiro Custom trumpet...It's a great horn
Pickett Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: