• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson Herald Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liaison

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Besson Herald Trumpets Reply with quote

Hi Gang, I recently acquired five herald trumpets from a government surplus sale. Four are brand new Besson 705s (2 Bb, 2 Eb), and one is a mint Boosey & Hawkes Bb in a very old case. They are all silver. I can't find any information on them on the Besson website. Any help out there regarding history and values, original cost, Etc.

I plan to use them on special occasions with the Henrico Concert Band. Tom
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vintage models are most likely a part of a group of Heralds that were made for "Pershing's Own" U.S Army Band in Washington D.C. The were made at the request of Bramwell Smith ( A Canadian citizen, and cornet soloist in the "President's Own" U.S. Marine Band in the late 1950s..and then a soloist in "Pershings Own". His associate cornet soloist in "Pershing's Own" Gilbert Mitchell was the original leader of the U.S. Army Band Herald Trumpets. Mitchell and Smith traveled to England to exam the instruments used by the Royal Marine Band, then had the Besson factory make a set of heralds for "Pershing's Own". The reason for this project was that at that time, the St. Lawerence Seaway was due to open. This was a joint project between the U.S. and Canada. Smith was a canadian citizen..and Queen Elizabeth would be attending the opening ceremony of the Seaway. These Besson heralds were made for that event. They never were an instrument made available outside of that custom order during the vintage era. There were heralds made years later to replace some of the originals...but those would be more modern horns.

Bramwell Smith later became Director of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Band, and Gilbert Mitchell was one of the Directors of "Pershing's Own"

The value of the instruments you have are whatever you want to make it.
They have no assesable value in the normal market sense...in a way they are priceless because of the historical value. There is a possibility that nobody is still living that played these instruments at that event. "Pershing's Own" does have a very nice museum at Ft. Meyer in Arlington. I am sure that they have much material regarding the history of The Herald Trumpets..all that would be available on the actual instruments would be limited to what was put into a written record at that time...plus a photographic history. There would be nobody within "Pershing's Own" who would have first hand knowledge. You may be able to gather some information on how they ended up at a government surplus sale..if anyone admits they are from the original set. There were no other vintage Besson heralds in the U.S that would be owned by the government...so you can be pretty safe in knowing where they came from.

I had these instruments in my hands when I was a member of the U.S. Army Band Heralds...but that was a later time from the visit by Queen Elizabeth.

So...name your price and remain firm on it.
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to clarify that the vintage horn only..is of historical value.

The newer horns would reflect a modern day value....and would be more related to the current use and availability. The availability in this day could be a relevant factor in the value because of the ongoing turnover in instruments made with the Besson name. This gets into that complicated topic of where Bessons have been made over the past 20 years. Do your newer horns say made in England..?..or made in the USA..?
liaison

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Besson Herald Trumpets Reply with quote

Wow! Great information. Thanks. Four of the five have never been played. They were still wrapped in a protective material, as were the mouthpieces. Each has the original owners manual enclosed. The new heralds are marked "BESSON, London, 700, Boosey & Hawkes, England. The older, but like new, herald is marked Boosey & Hawkes only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: