• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

eBay Connstellation Massacre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: eBay Connstellation Massacre Reply with quote

On eBay, a 1966 Connstellation "is in really quite nice condition. As you will notice in the photo's it has been restored in it's past. The owner decided to give it a custom look by giving it a 'satin' finish on the exterior of the body."

At first I thought that the lacquer had been stripped, leaving the nickle to go grey. The lacquered brass portion show wear, but the satin isn't a choice I would make.

Connstellation Massacre

1963 Connstellation
carltrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno ---- I kind of like it
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at it I think they did a good job ont he bead blasting it appears to be done very even. I do think they should have redone the slides and the caps though. I mean really how hard is it to strip the lacquer buff them and re-lacquer them? Satin finish works one of two ways if the entire horn is done that way or if you have highly polished contrasting parts. They can be brass or gold plate but they really should be highly polished not pock marked.

I like that they left enough of the Consolation's engraving to still be seen. A novice would have obliterated it with over blasting.

I think I would gold plate the brass parts not in silver right now if it where mine including the trigger.

It is not bad though I do not think so at least. Plus the Consolation's was never a sexy looking horn. It was or is kind of short and pudgier looking.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: eBay Connstellation Massacre Reply with quote

conn53victor wrote:
At first I thought that the lacquer had been stripped, leaving the nickle to go grey. The lacquered brass portion show wear, but the satin isn't a choice I would make.

Probably wouldn't have been my first choice either, but not the most horrific thing I've seen.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks pretty sharp. It's not like there aren't a bazillion Connstellations out there...
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carltrumpet wrote:
I dunno ---- I kind of like it
I actually never liked the look of the stock Connstellation. I always thought the Conn version of silver looked more like chrome plating. But then again, I prefer lacquer horns anyway. This particular version doesn't look all that bad to me either.

I do have to admit publicly that I really have never been a Conn fan... simply and purely personal preference. I've owned several, 38A & B, 28B (liked that best) 6B, 8B... did like the 10B. Anyway, this horn doesn't look that bad to me and it does look like it was a quality job.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
If you look at it I think they did a good job ont he bead blasting it appears to be done very even. I do think they should have redone the slides and the caps though. I mean really how hard is it to strip the lacquer buff them and re-lacquer them? Satin finish works one of two ways if the entire horn is done that way or if you have highly polished contrasting parts. They can be brass or gold plate but they really should be highly polished not pock marked.

I like that they left enough of the Consolation's engraving to still be seen. A novice would have obliterated it with over blasting.

I think I would gold plate the brass parts not in silver right now if it where mine including the trigger.

It is not bad though I do not think so at least. Plus the Consolation's was never a sexy looking horn. It was or is kind of short and pudgier looking.

connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:

Consolation? Nice. Hey man, I got mine! But on to the meat of your opinion, I agree. Fer instance, my 80-odd year-old Victor New Wonder was original in satin, with highlights such as the bell in gold wash. Works for me!
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
Plus the Consolation's was never a sexy looking horn. It was or is kind of short and pudgier looking.

Short and pudgy? Excuse me, have you ever held a Connstellation?

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have held Kanstuls version though and seen at least 40 Constalations fairly close and they always struck me as pudgier because of how large and open the wrap is. To me sleek long lean looking with clean lines that is sexy. Short and wide is more cornet like and cornets are not sleek or sexy! It has nothing to do with how they sound or play I think they are a fantastic horn they just do not look sexy to me at all no matter how pristine!

So the Olds Line From French to Recording all long, lean sleek and sexy....The French Bessons again long sleek and sexy.....The Coutois more of the same long, lean like a dancer's body.......The Conn Voca Bell models long lean sexy.......Most of Conns line up though is wide open wraps short and pudgie. I will say they have had some killer engraving over the years.

Sorry you think short and pudgie is hot but not everyone is going to share my opinion or yours just a fact of life! For the record my wife was a model and modeled internationally and did dance and before she meet me so I am a tad biased! She did a lot of Mannequin like shows where these use human models holding still for hours in displays. She did Harrods in London that way and a lot of Hotel and amusement park opening all over the word like South Africa and Europe and Asia. So I am biased toward long lean and sleek looking forms trumpets to car's to women! I am open though about my bias and I know I have one! If it helps I am pudgie not at al long, lean or sexy!!!LOL
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
Sorry you think short and pudgie is hot but not everyone is going to share my opinion or yours just a fact of life!

Again, you've totally missed the point. I'm not debating what is/isn't 'hot,' 'sexy,' etc. To each his own on that, and I don't use those terms with horns anyway.

A Connstellation is anything but short and pudgy feeling in the hands. It's a rather tall horn (long pistons and wide wrap) with a bigass bell. Short and pudgy would perhaps more describe the early "pea-shooters" which the Connstellation is not.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
trumq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
I actually never liked the look of the stock Connstellation. I always thought the Conn version of silver looked more like chrome plating.

Isn't the Connstellation actually nickel plated?

Henri Selmer 80J
'63 Olds Studio
'55 King Liberty
King altonium
'47 Conn 80A
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the pudgy varietals, there are several short-stuff offerings including those with Connstellation inscribed. Otherwise, as shown, there is the long cornet.

When the lacquer on these fissures, they look like heck. The finish as shown looks appealing to me.

The wide (actually, tall) wrap of several Conns feels really good in my hands, which aren't huge but aren't at all long or lean. But they don't fit at all into or on to peashooter-type tubes.
daDavemeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one bead blasted to a satin finish and then painted Vietnam era jungle camouflage. Ohhhh yeaaaah!
Tuba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "massacre" is the wrong word to describe this horn. Maybe the OP didn't see this:

from: http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101701

THAT'S a massacre.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuba wrote:
I think "massacre" is the wrong word to describe this horn. Maybe the OP didn't see this:

from: http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101701

THAT'S a massacre.

OP sez, Point taken. The thread subject line was written by a newspaper headline writer who neglected to read the actual post. Yeah, that's my story.

1963 Connstellation
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the pictures after I'd read all the replys so far. I expected to hate it, but it actually looks kind of cool! I agree that the brass parts should have been relacquered (or gold plated) to complete the look. Even bright silver-plated slides, caps, etc. would have looked pretty good, since the inside of the bell flare is still polished nickel.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of years ago I was ga-ga over a bead-blasted Olds. Like this trumpet it had a 1st slide trigger. That auction blew up, way over the $440 I had in hand, so someone else scooped it.

Because that Studio was silver it looked prettier to some, perhaps less tool-like 'industrial' than this nickel Connie. Because I missed out on that Olds I had the cha-ching for my 28A, so it all worked out.

So to the OP, one question: Are you in?

That's to say I really like your tag line! Half of what I do here is join in with a brag or a complaint, so it's a good reminder/motivator to "just hit it."
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumq wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:
I actually never liked the look of the stock Connstellation. I always thought the Conn version of silver looked more like chrome plating.

Isn't the Connstellation actually nickel plated?
Actually I believe you may be right. Whatever it is, I still feel the same though. It's just never been a horn that I warmed up to... totally my preference... many think they are great.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: