• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Piercing for a trumpet player

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Lamkin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Lip Piercing for a trumpet player Reply with quote

Guys I need your advice on this one. Without telling you what I told a student of mine who is into the Gothic Style with all the facial piercings, I want to know what you all think about a student who has their lower lip pierced. The ring is placed to the right of the lip a few centimeters away from the corner. The ring goes under and through the lip area a few centimeters below lip, which of course is definitely part of the embouchure. Let me know how you would advise this student. What would you say?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would want to say is probably not suitable for a young student to hear, or even be posted on this forum.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enough holes in my head. Why add one that makes it impossible to play well? Sounds like your student has made his/her/its decision...

You could discuss the playing impairment and/or discuss with the parents (maybe they did not realize it would be an issue). Or, just get a another student.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there is nothing an adult can say to a kid caught up with trying to fit in with peers and fads that will dissuade them from piercings, tattoos, and STDs.

And frankly, if kids can learn to play with braces (thank goodness I never had to!), they can learn to work around their trendy piercings.

I guess I would just tell them, "It is going to limit your potential in terms of range, endurance, and timbre. How serious are you about playing this thing [trumpet, flute, etc.] well?"

Give 'em the honest facts and let them choose. It's not your decision to make.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside, I would seriously want to quote Samuel L Jackson's "hold-up man" character from "Coming to America".

Outside, I would try to follow ConnArtist's advice.
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
I'm pretty sure there is nothing an adult can say to a kid caught up with trying to fit in with peers and fads that will dissuade them from piercings, tattoos, and STDs.

I don't think that's a fair grouping, actually.

As for the student who wants to get their lip pierced, some things I'd suggest:

Dye your hair
Easy, relatively cheap, and gets the point across.

Nose piercing
You can hide this in your nostrils also, if you have to.

Tattoo
So many people have them, it's likely nobody will notice anyway. What matters, is the person with the ink is satisfied with what they've got.

Eyebrow piercing
Bold facial statement, and easy to give up on, if it should so compel the person to do so.

I've had a few students get tongue and lip piercings. They always asked me about it first, and I gave them the run-down on what they'd run into. The ones that got the lip piercings conceded to getting them as close to the corner as possible. The ones who got their tongues pierced either learned to work around it in their playing remarkably well, or gave up on the piercing in the first week.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff.... a very pragmatic approach.

Pierce the tongue and you can clang the metal ball against the mouthpiece and be a living metronome for the clarinets when they lose time.

I know of several kids who couldn't wait to get the piercing done and were even faster removing them after infection set it.... from swollen (puss discharge) belly button to a nose that made them look like old "Schnozzola".....Jimmy Durante...... (I thought I would reveal my age on this) like it or not there is always a risk. In spite of risks there is nothing new about body piecing and even society girls in Victorian culture pierced their nibbles. From keeping evil spirits away...or not..... to tribal status.....to sexual enhancement......who knows...get an infection and it might drop off....

If someone is determined then I suppose it comes down to damage limitation.... It is very easy to take the high ground on the whole issue but in a PC culture there is very little you can do or say if a student turns up with a piercing that affects his playing. If advise it asked for then the common sense approach is probably all that can be offered..... for the young..... the final decision might need to be negotiated with parents.........I would wonder if a highly talented, motivated young trumpet player would risk "voiding" all his hard work....just to join a club (tribe).

For the young ones reading this.... make sure you get to the Doctor quick if you discover yellow-green puss....Septicaemia can be life threatening. Have I put you off yet?..... I know...I am an old fashioned old poop.

Walter
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate enough not to have any of my HS trumpet players with lip piercings but I do have 2 flute, one sax, a clarinetist and a percussionist with them. One flute player also has a large, silver tongue stud. It's one of her "17 piercings", so she says; I have no interest in knowing where they all are nor have I tried counting what is visible. I've had college students in the past pierced lower lips. None of them were headed for the pro ranks.

In all seriousness, I don't believe this thread needs to be in the Lounge, it is some important food for thought for many of us who attempt to educate others. Seriously...
John Lamkin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for all your comments. They were right on point. I told her that if she wanted to study with me, she HAD to take the ring out of her lip and let her lip heal, or else I wasnt teaching her. She didnt and went to my department head instead! But he supports recommendation that she take the ring out. I want her to read all your comments so she can hear it from the trumpet community. She heard it from me, but I'm just her teacher. If she still insists on the ring, then I know what Im dealing with and the drop slip is next.

Thanks.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By use of "department head" are you implying this is a college student doing this? I could sort of see a middle school or even high school kid, not planning on playing later in college onward doing something this asinine, but not someone studying trumpet seriously in college. That's beyond stupid.
John Lamkin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, she's a college student>\.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest she changes to a tuba. The ring will nicely fit into the mouthpiece.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear the ring hitting the inside of mouthpiece now.
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Lamkin wrote:

Just a warning then: a court might see this as an imposition on her lifestyle choice, and you as guilty.

Don't get me wrong; I agree with the idea that she should take the lip ring out, if she's expecting to get everything she can out of her college education on the instrument, but this can be a very gray area if you don't approach it properly.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if she tears her embouchure muscle due to the ring, she can sue you because you did not prevent her from keeping it, even though as a professional you should have known better.

Last edited by etc-etc on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I could sort of see a middle school or even high school kid, not planning on playing later in college onward doing something this asinine, but not someone studying trumpet seriously in college. That's beyond stupid.

John Lamkin wrote:

Well, I guess High School and Junior High don't have a monopoly on stupidity.

I have a friend who is a former professional (minor league) baseball player. He could never understand when pitchers get big tattoos on their pitching arms. His though was that you don't mess with your moneymaker. This is several steps beyond that.

I get lots of things - tattoos, hair styles and colors, even some piercings - but I don't get this. Personally, I wouldn't actually do any of those myself - other than the hair (and that's limited by my limited supply - heh). My attitude in this isn't a reflection of values or culture, it's just that I don't want ink injected into my skin or metal rings or studs to pierce any part of me.

As was said - beyond stupid.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stupid they have so many places ont heir body that could be pierced and not affect their playing what where they thinking??????? I mean ear's top and bottom, face, forhead, nose, nipples and so on...........

I had a band teacher in middle school that would toss batons, music stands or water ballons at us when we consistently did not get it and would scream like a Drill Sargent if we did something mind numbingly stupid! I once got a 5 minute verbal beat down in her office when I hurt my hand at a Karate demonstration.........It was the classic " What the bleep where you thinking with all the Christmas Concerts a week away and festival around the corner.......????" It worked out because I was born left handed and forced to become a righty by my Old School Raised by Nunns Grandmother that thought the left hand was the hand of the devil! SO I just played left handed for 2 weeks! I still got the lecture though about being stupid!

When I played sports most coach's did not let use where any jewelry at all no bracelets, no necklaces and no ear rings......Lip, tongue and face piercing where not in yet so those did not have to be dealt with!

Most kids have no idea what Gothic really is or that it has it's own religious practices and idea's! Most kids just like the look but I think the school should have a policy about what piercing can be worn at school! I think when I was in school you could not have more then 3 piercing in your ear. So you might have 7 holes in your ears but only 3 of them could have anything in them!

Have you talked to this kid? What is more important an extra whole in his lip or music? I would not hesitate to make the kid remove it for band and then he could put it back in after class!
John Lamkin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Kirk, this is a college student!
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest her to make a choice here (don't open the link if you think you're not ready for it):
http://www.bodypiercingland.com/lip-plate/

MvW.
John Lamkin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But these people are not trumpet players!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: