• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another Chicago Trumpet Hang!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody also had a 50's M bore Mercedes for sale that was a really nice horn! If I needed a Bb I might have picked that up. If anybody is on the hunt for a nice vintage horn the NY and Mt. Vernon Mercury and Mercedes horns seem to be a pretty good deal!

Last edited by CRoberts8 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good someone mentioned the Humes and Berg Stonlined mutes. Those new ones played well and have to admit might actually replace my Tom Crowns. The were much better than I would have ever guess from them. I never gave them a second thought. OOPS!!! They actually play in TUNE! Or was that an amazing coinkidink!
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
MFHorn13
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone making it a great event this year. I really enjoyed myself, and had lots of fun playing a variety of horns. Hats off to the hosts of the event, and to all of the great players that came by today. VetPsychWars: I still think my Committee is special but I did enjoy your red Aristocrat...never played (or have seen) one before. Very cool! CRoberts8: Thanks for coming all the way up here! That's my NY Bach Mercedes thats for sale...it's a very sweet playing horn. I really enjoyed Rob's Callet Sima, John's Benge 6X, Tom's Mt. Vernon Bach (wanna sell it Tom? ) and really had a great time overall chatting and playing with everyone. So many great horns and so many great people! Thanks again to everyone for bringing out their respective treasures, and I'm already looking forward to next year.
1952 Martin Committee
1973 Holton ST200
1956 Conn Connstellation 38B
1990's Holton MF ST550
Late 1970's Holton ST304 MF Horn
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun afternoon. Horn highlights for me...Charle's Bach C cornet, the Besson Brevette owned by John Hagstrom brought by Dr. Valve, John Mohan's Boston 3 Star and Monke C, the 2 Shires, and Nick's Stage One California.

Didn't get to the Burbank GC, or the Wild Thing.

Good thing I had my -15dB earplugs. The lead playing in that room was mighty strong.

Still drooling over that Boston 3 Star. OMG.

Thanks Jim and Tom for the good time.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I had a GREAT time. Thank you very much for hosting this Jim and Tom!

Highlight for me was getting to play both a Bach Chicago C trumpet and a Philadelphia C trumpet and being able to compare them to my own Bach C trumpet (229/25H). They both played far more in tune than my rather typical Bach C. I like the different tonalities from both of them (Chicago C is brighter). Only one solution - buy both! Because I don't have enough trumpets...

The Humes and Berg mutes Tom brought played in tune - wow! I'd buy them if I didn't already have a huge assortment of mutes, including some that actually play in tune as well. For anybody suffering with out-of-tune straight mutes and/or harmon mutes, contact Tom and get a Humes and Berg mute - these new ones are great. And Tom’s Buescher trumpets are amazing horns – I liked the way the red one played the most. But I’d be comfortable making a living with any of the three (maybe not in a Chamber Orchestra, but for jazz and shows, they’d be great –even that funny, long, skinny one). Looked very cool in an art deco, antique way, and sounded GREAT.

There was some great playing at the event - very good players and very good screamers and many who could even do both. My ears are still ringing. But it's a pleasant kind of ringing...

I think that Charles Roberts is going to be going places with his playing. I sure didn’t play like he does when I was 21.

And though I'm sure any of you that have heard him on his YouTube videos already know this, I thought I might mention, Nick Drozdoff is a virtuoso level player. Wow!

Thanks again - had a great time!

John Mohan
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the second year in a row, I loved it.

I liked a lot of horns there today.

Highlight Horn of The Day: Dr Valve brought a 6310Z Conversion Horn with (I think) M/K Slides all around (main, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and extra lead pipe made by ??? M/K ???) that was AWESOME.

Jim H - what a host! Beautiful venue, Bears on TV (winning!), beer, fantastic pro horns, camaraderie - what more could a guy want?

Last edited by Albuquerque Duke on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Cantu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Great Trumpet Hang Reply with quote

The trumpet hang was great. I heard some great trumpet playing while eating some awesome salsa haha. Thanks to Jim and Tom. Jim it was nice to finally meet you. Next time you guys do this I hope I can make it and if so I want to bring some of my home made salsa.
NickD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Thanks, Jim!! Reply with quote

First, thanks to our host, Jim Hatfield, for doing this. This is my first attendance at one of these, but it is certain not to be my last. It was like a mini ITG!

Next, I was so thrilled to meet and hear so many fine trumpeters, many of whom I have never met before! I'm terrible with names (ask any of my class room students - it takes me two to three weeks), but I'm great with faces and I look forward to seeing many of you on gigs and such!

Wow, where to begin???

So many cool horns to mess with. John Mohan's super special Claude Gordon horn was really amazing. Also, I'm still quite beguiled by Steve Winans hot rodded Schilke Bb. I was amazed by many of the nice C trumpets there, but I kept coming back to that Shire's C with the Herseth lead pipe on it like a moth to a candle! Also, one fine player (sorry I can't remember the name - see above) had a Bach C cornet! OOOOO, I want one of those! No way I'm getting permission on that, though. John Mohan also had a Schilke E4L. I'm actually in the market for one of those, though I was told to test a Blackburn 4 valve Eb, first. Finally, Steve Winans had a super cool modified Conn Victor cornet with a trumpet receiver. I have an old Victor which is NOT at the collector's level (I don't have the original case and it doesn't have the Bb/A triggers) and Steve will be getting the restoration/modification gig as soon as he finishes up with my Getzen bass trumpet.

I'm pleased so many folks got to try out my California light and Broadway horns. I hope many of you had a chance to look over those Wedge mouthpieces. Email or call Dr. Dave for more info.

Finally, those Humes and Berg mutes were FANTASTIC. Frankly, in the heat of battle over the last few years, I kinda forgot about them. In the words of contemporary parlance, "my bad!" I played two 'Harmon' type mutes: one cylindrical and one onion shaped, like the JoRal. I LOVED the onion shaped mute. I usually resist playing harmon on gigs, because on MOST gigs I can't hear myself due to the dubious acoustic/PA situations. Well, that HB Onion mute not only had a FANTASTIC sound - totally characteristic of the cool sound ala Dizzy's Swedish mute - it CUT - it produced a remarkable volume of sound for a mute of that type. I mean in that room with that many trumpeters, I could actually HEAR myself playing that mute. Now that's and acid test and the HB made the cut. It's funny, on Saturday night I played the Jazz Showcase on trumpet and flugel and one fan asked why I didn't use mutes, in particular harmon. I told him I hate mutes because in most acoustic situations, I can't hear myself and I need that to play changes (yeah I know the theory, but I'm an ear player at heart). Well, I WOULD use this mute. I am GOING to buy one - probably tomorrow.

OK, once again, how amazing it was hearing so many terrific trumpeters in one room! OK, Jim is going to have to re-plaster the walls where Fred was drilling those double high D's into the wall, but that's the way it goes! Heh, heh, I kid, I kid, Fred! Sounded great man! What chops! All the rest of you - what a lot of neat music - an Ives piece on steroids!

AND DA BEARS WON!!!!

Perfect Sunday in January!

Peace, all!

Nick
http://www.youtube.com/nickdrozdoff
https://www.facebook.com/nickdrozdoffandthevariabledpostulateensemble
https://soundcloud.com/nick-drozdoff

Last edited by NickD on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who didn't see the mutes, here's a list of what I brought:

http://humesandberg.com/Mutes/trumpet_cornet.htm

#106 Symphonic straight ($23.48 )
#114 Philharmonic straight
#111 Wa-Wah Du All (harmon, $36.88 )
#241 Swish Wha (bubble, $36.88 )

As John and Nick mentioned, these play well in tune (I had adjusted the corks of course) and present a good value. Prices quoted are mail-order from Cascio Interstate Music (my local store).

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
NickD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: ooppsss! Reply with quote

I almost forgot those restored Buescher trumpets. The two wide wrap models played GREAT! While they were vintage horns, the restored models played and felt like terrific modern horns, but the looked SOOOO cool with the tuning slide wrapping around and entering the valve block from the other side! NICE axes!

Sorry about forgetting those. My head felt sor to flike I had it in a paint shaker by the time I got home!

Nick
http://www.youtube.com/nickdrozdoff
https://www.facebook.com/nickdrozdoffandthevariabledpostulateensemble
https://soundcloud.com/nick-drozdoff
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure glad everyone had a great time! Someone left behind a trumpet stand. PM me with an address and I can parcel post it to you.

"The notes are there - find them.ā€¯ Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: ANOTHER TRUMPET HANG Reply with quote

Thanks Jim for hosting this event again! It was good to see some friends I haven't seen in awhile and play some really nice horns!

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
For those who didn't see the mutes, here's a list of what I brought:

http://humesandberg.com/Mutes/trumpet_cornet.htm

#106 Symphonic straight ($23.48 )
#114 Philharmonic straight
#111 Wa-Wah Du All (harmon, $36.88 )
#241 Swish Wha (bubble, $36.88 )

As John and Nick mentioned, these play well in tune (I had adjusted the corks of course) and present a good value. Prices quoted are mail-order from Cascio Interstate Music (my local store).

Tom

Tom, how did you adjust the cork on the swish wah?

I really wish I can get out to one of these Trumpet Hangs one day. You all have been so helpful and nice on the forum and I would love to meet you guys in person someday.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:

Tom, how did you adjust the cork on the swish wah?

I really wish I can get out to one of these Trumpet Hangs one day. You all have been so helpful and nice on the forum and I would love to meet you guys in person someday.

I was more talking about the straight mutes, but I did adjust the cork of the Swish-Wha a little because its opening is pretty big and it just barely fits the bell of my 400s. No way in heck that it would fit into the Aristocrat, but I actually like the sound and response of the Wa-Wah Du All in the Aristocrat anyways.

In fact, I use the Symphonic and Swish-Wah in the more open-belled Lightwight 400 and the Philharmonic and Wa-Wah Du All in the tighter-belled Aristocrat. Those combinations seem to speak and sound best.

Hope to see you next year!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a fun time as well and a big thanks to Jim for hosting all of us. You've got a great space-perfect for the event. Tom's salsa was great and he won the award for the color-matched red trumpet and mutes!

So many great people and great horns! Highlights for me were MFHorn13's Committee and Super (that Super is REALLY nice), John's Monke C, Dr. Valve's collection, and Mike's Bach C with Dr. Valve's tweaks. Also, there's a new cool Bb trumpet looming on the horizon..........Dr. Valve had some prototype Bb slides for Bach C trumpets. I know. You won't believe it until you play them. Several of us were very surprised!

As for the Humes and Berg mutes, they play in tune, have good response, etc. The Jo-Ral shaped "harmon" mute was a winner, but the rest did not have the sound I am looking for.

I look forward to next year's hang. Fred's scream notes might still be there when we come back!
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
Had a fun time as well and a big thanks to Jim for hosting all of us. You've got a great space-perfect for the event. Tom's salsa was great and he won the award for the color-matched red trumpet and mutes!

So many great people and great horns! Highlights for me were MFHorn13's Committee and Super (that Super is REALLY nice), John's Monke C, Dr. Valve's collection, and Mike's Bach C with Dr. Valve's tweaks. Also, there's a new cool Bb trumpet looming on the horizon..........Dr. Valve had some prototype Bb slides for Bach C trumpets. I know. You won't believe it until you play them. Several of us were very surprised!

As for the Humes and Berg mutes, they play in tune, have good response, etc. The Jo-Ral shaped "harmon" mute was a winner, but the rest did not have the sound I am looking for.

I look forward to next year's hang. Fred's scream notes might still be there when we come back!

Eric,

Thanks for play testing my Bach 37 with the gold heavy bottom caps and giving me your honest feedback. You helped me confirm that my Bach is in fact a good one and a keeper.

Now I can get off the trumpet buying and selling treadmill for a while and focus on getting better vs acquiring/searching for the ultimate trumpet.

What a novel idea: practice intelligently and consistently to improve my skills!

It was good to talk to you and hang out for a bit. Thanks.

p.s. Thanks to Nick D as well for the validation on my Bach. I used to get impatient with horns and quickly sell/trade them vs just buckling down and doing the necessary work to improve. I have no excuses any more. It's up to me if I want to improve. I have all the equipment I need.

Mark H.

Last edited by Albuquerque Duke on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albuquerque Duke wrote:
Eric,

Thanks for playing testing my Bach 37 with the gold heavy bottom caps and giving me your honest feedback. You helped me confirm that my Bach is in fact a good one and a keeper.

Now I can get off the trumpet buying and selling treadmill for a while and focus on getting better vs acquiring/searching for the ultimate trumpet.

What a novel idea: practice intelligently and consistently to improve my skills!

It was good to talk to you and hang out for a bit. Thanks.

p.s. Thanks to Nick D as well for the validation on my Bach. I used to get impatient with horns and quickly sell/trade them vs just buckling down and doing the necessary work to improve. I have no excuses any more. It's up to me if I want to improve. I have all the equipment I need.

Mark H.

That's definitely one of the benefits of people like Nick and Steve playing your horns, as well as all of the other excellent players who attended.

Nothing wrong with the equipment... if you sound like crap, it's all your own fault!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Oops, forgot about your horn. Your horn was a highlight for me too. Easily my favorite Bach Bb there, and one of the best I have played, period. A keeper for sure! Likewise on the talking and hanging.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
m/k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlight Horn of The Day: Dr Valve brought a 6310Z Conversion Horn with (I think) M/K Slides all around (main, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and extra lead pipe made by ??? M/K ???) that was AWESOME.

Thanks! That's one of our newer projects that we've been working on; after the Doctor Valve tweak and our new leadpipe and slides an already good horn turned out to be a killer!

If anyone's interested in it (it will be for sale after Charlie Melk re-lacquers it) or would like to know more about it shoot me a pm.
sales@mkdrawing.com
m/k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there's a new cool Bb trumpet looming on the horizon..........Dr. Valve had some prototype Bb slides for Bach C trumpets. I know. You won't believe it until you play them. Several of us were very surprised!

Thank you! To be honest it's been an uphill battle to get people to try them; the bad taste of the Bach sets lingers in many a palate...but we'd like to think these indeed are very different.

Steve Winans still has the set that was at the hang if anyone in the area is interested; anyone else outside of Chicago can pm me if they'd like to try a set.
sales@mkdrawing.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: