• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

switching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: switching Reply with quote

I've a few different Bb's that I enjoy playing. It seems as though I can only play one a day. If I warm up on one Bb, ... I can't seem to get any of the others going with the same amount of ease. Is this unique?
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch back and fourth between Bb's regularly in practice and gigs. The horns are distinctly different.....which is why I have mroe than one. But I have never had any problem at all going between the two. That is, any problem I may have experienced was just a standard problem with my playing. Not one unique to the horn switch!!!!
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I understand what you're dealing with. I generally play on a horn for a month or more then switch to another - at this point I can subjectively feel the differences between them. But I wouldn’t be able to figure this out by warming up on one, then picking up another. Some guys can do it, but I’m not one of them.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horns are all pretty different, one to another. I have no problem switching from Flugelhorn to trumpet or vise versa, but I have to play the Benge by itself (no WT trumpet), or I have problems with it.

I never have problems of any magnitude switching between various trumpets until I begin to play my Wild Thing. Going back to the others after that is when I usually experience trouble. With other trumpets, I am able to cite the differences in blow, sound and just make adjustments. I might even have preferences about them.

The Wild Thing is more of a change. Going to it is pretty easy and a positive experience for me. Going back...not so much. So, if I'm making an assessment of another horn, I have to leave the WT at home.

The exception to this are when I'm directly comparing the new one to the WT on purpose, of course.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
brassjunkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that switching Bb horns is difficult if the resistance changes a lot between them. I have 3 Bb's and they range from free-blowing to quite tight, haven't yet found a way to swap without a few weeks adjustment. Maybe using different mouthpieces/backbores would sort it though.
Besson Sovereign Flugel
www.jazzinspired.blogspot.com
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Brian's problem when I had my Schilke... Not so much now that I have a couple Strads. Maybe it's a difference between high-efficiency horns and normal ones? It would change your airstream enough that going back and forth could be an issue. JMO
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassjunkie wrote:
I have found that switching Bb horns is difficult if the resistance changes a lot between them. I have 3 Bb's and they range from free-blowing to quite tight, haven't yet found a way to swap without a few weeks adjustment. Maybe using different mouthpieces/backbores would sort it though.

Me too. I've gotten quite used to switching between my Bach ML C, 8310z, and flugel during a practice session (they're all smaller bore instruments), but if I switch to one of my other Bb horns (esp. the cornet!! .485 bore!) it's something of a disaster. Takes me a while to adjust to the blow.

But, then, the 8310z is so easy to play I almost feel like I'm cheating. So maybe that's not a good comparison.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
I had Brian's problem when I had my Schilke... Not so much now that I have a couple Strads. Maybe it's a difference between high-efficiency horns and normal ones? It would change your airstream enough that going back and forth could be an issue. JMO

I think we set our embouchure for a certain amount or type of resistance. Then, if we move to something different, we may have trouble or have trouble going back. Flip's horns all play with a similar feel and technique. It's not too much trouble to develop an embouchure set that allows the player to switch pretty easily between his trumpet, flugelhorn or cornet.

I'm sure the same might be said of other families of trumpets. For instance, all the Benge horns I've played are so close in how they blow, it's no problem to switch at all. Kanstul trumpets don't really vary much either from model to model, as far as their play characteristics go. I imagine Yamaha, Bach and Schilke all could claim similar familiarity within their lines.

But, since I have been playing Wild Thing horns, I seem to have less trouble with some other styles of trumpet. I may or may not like them, but I usually can adapt fairly easily. I think this has to do with letting go of one specific set of compensation habits developed for one specific horn (the 5X, in my case).

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: