• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bob Reeves Purviance 9 & monette

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Bob Reeves Purviance 9 & monette Reply with quote

Currently I'm playing the Bob Reeves Purviance RP9. What is the nearest equivalent size to Monette mouthpiece? your suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'd suggest calling Monette. They're quite helpful and willing to talk to you.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob Reeves Purviance 9 & monette Reply with quote

jazzothman wrote:
Currently I'm playing the Bob Reeves Purviance RP9. What is the nearest equivalent size to Monette mouthpiece

Probably the B6LD S1, but why don't you want to stay with your Purviance?

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm asking is because I'm might be playing the Monette Chicago model. Can my current mouthpiece fit with the horn?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the B6 (or B6L) size mentioned earlier for rim compatability. You might want to check into the time frame the instrument was built to see if it was before or after Monette started making mouthpieces. There might be an advantage to playing a mouthpiece designed in conjunction with the horn.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Purviance rim and the the Monette B6 rim measure similarly, but they feel radically different. For any Monette mouthpiece questions, just call the folks at the shop. They **really** know their product.
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing the Chuck Findley trumpet model by Hub Van Laar with the RP9 mouthpiece. The combination is very good and as for my Monette Chicago is for my small combo setup. I will try to email Monette whether they can do a copy on my mouthpiece.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the Purviance 9 is the best all around piece ever made and this piece with your Van Laar makes a perfect match so dont do it .......... accept you want to change your sound but the Monette piece are very differnt beast (huge throats and bbores) and you have to adjust your blow and playing , for my is better to give a try to Purviance P9A with you new Monette horn , good luck.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you giakara with you the combination of my Hub Van Laar and the P9 really get along very well. Infact I will be getting my monette Chicago model by this week. From the photo that they sent it me I observed that the mouthpiece leadpipe has been changed. Maybe this is to fit normal mouthpiece I have yet to see it until I get the trumpet on Wednesday. I was thinking to try the Adam Rapa B3F S7. What do you think? The only problem with monette instrument is that you got to play his mouthpiece.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob Reeves Purviance 9 & monette Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
jazzothman wrote:
Currently I'm playing the Bob Reeves Purviance RP9. What is the nearest equivalent size to Monette mouthpiece

Probably the B6LD S1, but why don't you want to stay with your Purviance?

I second that, that would be the closest piece to what your looking for. Monette does not copy mpcs from other companies. They sometimes will do it if the client has played Monette for a while and wants a variation of whats currently in their lineup. But, never over the phone and not for someone unfamiliar with their equipment, I know, I asked.
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I know what is the different between P9 and the P9A. Can this mouthpiece fit to the Chicago model Monette. Most of my playing I will be using my hub trumpet except I just want to experience what are the different playing Monette trumpet for my combo setup.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzothman wrote:
May I know what is the different between P9 and the P9A. Can this mouthpiece fit to the Chicago model Monette. Most of my playing I will be using my hub trumpet except I just want to experience what are the different playing Monette trumpet for my combo setup.

I think its the shank or the depth, don't remember but Monette trumpets are not meant to be played with non monette mpcs. I would get the B6LD S1 or even the B6L S1 which are like the 3D or 3E respectively. There is also the BLW S1 which is a 14a4a mpc with a 3C like rim which closer matches the B6 mpc. Any of those would be appropriate for what you want. I would also recommend the LT weight as well as the Prana configuration.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maby a Kanstul copy of the Monette body with the sprcifications of P9A is a solution for you.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi giakara do you think Kanstul will do a copy of my P9 spec? As I'm live in Asia they don't seem to be interested to reply to our email. This is thru experience they are not interested correct me if I'm wrong. I really appreciate your advice. Right now I'm thinking of getting the Monette B6 Prana.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzothman wrote:
I agree with you giakara with you the combination of my Hub Van Laar and the P9 really get along very well. Infact I will be getting my monette Chicago model by this week. From the photo that they sent it me I observed that the mouthpiece leadpipe has been changed. Maybe this is to fit normal mouthpiece I have yet to see it until I get the trumpet on Wednesday. I was thinking to try the Adam Rapa B3F S7. What do you think? The only problem with monette instrument is that you got to play his mouthpiece.

Some people like the horns (the lightweight/earlier versions) but don't like the mouthpieces and play on non-monette mouthpieces. I'd try that first, and if it isn't working, call the shop
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzothman wrote:
Hi giakara do you think Kanstul will do a copy of my P9 spec? As I'm live in Asia they don't seem to be interested to reply to our email. This is thru experience they are not interested correct me if I'm wrong. I really appreciate your advice. Right now I'm thinking of getting the Monette B6 Prana.

Kanstul have the Purviance pieces specifications and he cant make this for you , try to mail and if not work try to call them , also i think some of them he post here at TH maby sofarguy he cant helps you.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Purviance 9A Reply with quote

The Purviance 9 and 9A are renumbered from the original 4*3 (9) and 5*3(9A) the 9A has the same rim but a deeper cup and larger throat (25) than the 9(27). The ID is 43/64, similar to a Bach 1.5C and the same as all the Reeves 43 pieces.

You might consider contacting Bob Reeves about a suitable Reeves 43 underpart using a #9 rim. Chances are that he has encountered your problem before.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Purviance 9A Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The Purviance 9 and 9A are renumbered from the original 4*3 (9) and 5*3(9A) the 9A has the same rim but a deeper cup and larger throat (25) than the 9(27). The ID is 43/64, similar to a Bach 1.5C and the same as all the Reeves 43 pieces.

You might consider contacting Bob Reeves about a suitable Reeves 43 underpart using a #9 rim. Chances are that he has encountered your problem before.

The 9 or the 43 rim is closer to the 3C rim diameter actually. The 43.5 would be more like the 1 1/2C rim. 42 is like a 5C, 41 - 7C, 40 - 10 1/2C.
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call Monette, find out what's the closest model to your piece, then pick it up used online. Especially if it's a B6... seems that there's always a few of those floating around, especially on TH. Kanstul could also do a custom one-off of your piece on a Monette blank, if you can get in touch with them. Good luck!
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
I would call Monette, find out what's the closest model to your piece, then pick it up used online. Especially if it's a B6... seems that there's always a few of those floating around, especially on TH. Kanstul could also do a custom one-off of your piece on a Monette blank, if you can get in touch with them. Good luck!

The B6 series is the equiv to the P9 or 43 diameter mpcs. Many variations including the wider BL mpc the BLW for lead as well as the B6LD S1 or the B6L S1 or the B6 S1 for legit or jazz work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: