• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1C Mouthpiece/Lower Register problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: 1C Mouthpiece/Lower Register problems Reply with quote

Hello TH Community,

I've picked up my trumpet again after not playing for about 4-5 years of graduating high school. I even go to an instructor every friday, who helps me to improve on my sound and range by giving me advice and different things to work on.

I have a slight dilemma.

My instructor has given me tips on how to incorporate the basics of forming an embouchure in my playing, which has worked out for me to a certain extent. I'm able to play higher notes (something I was not able to do so easily) with less effort.

The problem that I'm having is getting to the lower notes from high and vice versa without repositioning my lips so much in the mouthpiece.

My instructor has given me a book to work out of (Carmine Caruso's Musical Calisthenics for Brass) and there are a few exercises in there that require you to go from low to high and vice-versa. I asked my instructor for advice, and he tells me that I should try to tilt the horn and move my lips within the mouthpiece to get the sound that I want, but the notes never come out clean. The lower notes usually sound weaker and not as clean as to how my middle to higher register notes sound. When I follow his advice about tilting the horn and moving my lips, I usually roll my bottom lip out a little bit to try to hit the notes, but my bottom lip usually ends either not on the bottom rim of the mouthpiece or a little over the rim of the mouthpiece.

Is there anything that I can do about this? I feel like I've experimented and tried everything, but nothing is working for me. I've thought maybe its the mouthpiece that I'm using, which was given to me by my instructor (he says that its a 3C...it doesn't say what size it is on the mouthpiece....It just says 'Greg Black BP' on it). Do you think that maybe I need a bigger mouthpiece like a 1C?

Please respond with your thoughts/advice/tips/tricks/whatever you got to help me out. It would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance
jacktrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notes WILL come out clean in time. You just have to DO it. Caruso, that is. I'm not there, but my sense is that your teacher already knows your issues and that's why he's having you work out of that book. I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.

Jack
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few people NEED a 1C. If what you're playing is similar to a 3C odds are good you'll be able to do what you want in time. It's a trap to go bigger to solve problems at this point.
Connecting the registers is rarely automatic or easy at first. I too recommend that you hold the horn with your fingertips (no deathgrip) and kind of let if float and experiment with minor amounts of pivot to see if you can find a horn angle lip position that facilitates what you're trying to do. Adjusting the amount of pucker and jaw position may also help. If your bottm lip is falling out of the mouthpiece when you decend then you're horn angle and jaw likely not in sync. Do take that up with your teacher.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mathgeek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in EXACTLY the same boat as the OP. Your description of problems is identical to mine. It is frustrating to not be able to do something as basic as connect registers!

For me, I find that the lips just can't vibrate for the lower notes unless I really let them roll out. But I'll be damned if I can roll them back in as I ascend. My transition occurs around C-D-E on the bottom of the staff.

I think part of this problem is my lack of success in the pedal register. I can play pedal C and pedal B consistently in tune with volume. Pedal Bb and A are really weak and I can't get anything below that at all. However, the pedals that do play are coming WITHOUT an excessive roll out of my lips. I just drop the jaw and tilt the horn slightly up and something shifts in my mouth (I can feel it, but I have no idea how to describe it!) and the pedals pop out!

My teacher says that proper playing of pedal tones encourages proper embouchure formation and I believe it. Once the pedals start to open up more, I think it will help connect my registers because I will be playing that low register with more of a pedal feel than a rolled out feel.

BTW, the mp I am playing on is 17.32mm (0.682") and is just a bit larger than 1 rim at 17.00mm and I am still having these problems. So don't worry about the equipment and let your embouchure develop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: