• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cannonball Lightweight Lynx -- Notes from the Underground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzer_jose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Cannonball Lightweight Lynx -- Notes from the Underground Reply with quote

I thought some of you would be interested in one person’s observations about the new Cannonball Lightweight Lynx. I have had the pleasure of play testing it for four days.

The first thing I would point out is that the Lynx does not have a lightweight body and bell like a Claude Gordon model, despite its name. Rather, it is “lightweight” compared to the weight of Cannonball’s “big bell stone” series of trumpets. To my touch, the Lynx has a regular weight body and bell.

The Lynx projects a sound similar to a ML Bach 43. With a bell about five inches in diameter, the Lynx produces a slightly broader (darker) sound than the Bach 37 bell. But the Lynx has a core that is more compact than the Bach 43.

I detected no intonation problems with the Lynx. In fact, I played with a pal today and we both thought the Lynx blended well and played in tune with a vintage MLP Benge and a Holton 307.

The Lynx has a free-blowing feel, isn’t stuffy in the upper register like Bach trumpets, slots very well, and has a broad spectrum of overtones.

Here’s a YouTube link to a video clip of Winston Byrd playing the Lynx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr9t7xERxyM. I would say the sound he produces gives an accurate depiction of the Lynx, even if a lesser mortal like myself is playing the instrument.

I have a feeling this new model will do well in the commercial market and will develop a pretty loyal following.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: