• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What mouthpiece for me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babs206

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: What mouthpiece for me? Reply with quote

So i reverted back to my 7c mouthpiece a couple weeks ago, since i haven't played in months. Ive never really had a mouthpiece specific to my type of embouchure which i know is a mistake. Ive played a schilke 13a4a at one point and a bach 5c another. So i decided to start from scratch at the 7c.

My problems include range, tone quality, and a stuffy like sound from spit that goes threw my mouthpiece, which makes my longtones shaky.

does anybody know what causes that spit problem i have btw? Is it the size of the mouthpiece or me? ive read online its the size of your lips or something.

what mouthpiece do you think is right for me, given my needs? (limited to schilke and bach only plz.)

I just need suggestions so when i go to the music store i can try them out.

Thanks,
Aaron
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no magic mouthpiece suggestion that can help alleviate problems instantly. I personally suggest you stay on the 7C for a while (at least a month or so unless these problems are causing you not to be able to play) and see how you feel about things after said amount of time. In times where playing problems arise I tend to side with the cliché "perseverance is key." IMO switching will only make things worse for the time being.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Babs206

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
there is no magic mouthpiece suggestion that can help alleviate problems instantly. I personally suggest you stay on the 7C for a while (at least a month or so unless these problems are causing you not to be able to play) and see how you feel about things after said amount of time. In times where playing problems arise I tend to side with the cliché "perseverance is key." IMO switching will only make things worse for the time being.

Iknow that i have to put in the time, but isin't it just better to play with a mouthpiece built for my embouchure, so things are naturally better?
suggestions?
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by 'built for your embouchure?'
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
stevesf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babs206 wrote:
jhahntpt wrote:

Iknow that i have to put in the time, but isin't it just better to play with a mouthpiece built for my embouchure, so things are naturally better?
suggestions?

Only you can decide that yourself,it is your face after all. When you get to music shop try as many rim sizes and contours as you can. Also different cups...although I would recommend a middle of the road cup (i.e. C cup) not too shallow not too deep.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my sense that any reasonably comfortable piece in the 10.5C to 3C range (from any manufacturer) should allow you to work on basic tone production in the middle and lower registers. Stay away from more specialied gear like the shallow Schilkes. Only after you get the basics working fairly well should you think about optimizing for the more advanced work. And since you're clearly still struggling with basic tone production don't get hung up on range just yet.
Have a competent player check to make sure your horn's in good working in order. If you can swing it, even a single lesson from a pro could help get you started in the right direction and make sure your gear and approach will be productive.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my 3rd or 4th comback. Played sax for 10 years and am now going back to my original instrument. I have my old 7C from the 70's, an old Benge 7C, a Stork 7C, a Bach 5C and an Austin Custom Brass 3CS. I was constantly switching between them and not getting anywhere. I decided to just stay on the 5C and have been progressing ever since.

Also, I have had the same problems as you, spitty, longtones that shake and just bad tone quality. I recommend you look at this thread and carefully read the attached PDF. It will really help.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103078

Oh and if I were you I would stay on either the Bach 7C or 5C. They seem to be often recommended as good basic pieces that should get you to a point where you'll know what you want from a new piece. At least that's what I'm gonna do. I'm staying on the 5C for at least a year before I even think about a change.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recommend you look at this thread and carefully read the attached PDF. It will really help.

Wrong answer. Reading someone else's trail of tears won't help. Aaron, you need to sit with a good teacher or pro player (hopefully both) to guide you in proper tone production, and prescribe and demonstrate a practice routine to start your development.
I wouldn't change your mouthpiece as a solution. However, I think you should have a Schilke mouthpiece in your Schilke trumpet - 11, 12, or 14.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Babs206

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys, i guess the general consensus is to just stick with it, and i guess i will. I wasn't looking for a quick fix, just needed to know if i would be better off with a differnt mouthpiece.

i also enjoyed that article it was a good read.

thanks again,
Aaron
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're best off practicing the correct material, correctly, for a long, long time. All your problems stem from lack of development, not a mouthpiece.

Sorry to sound boastful, but you need to here this and think about this:

As a professional level player, I can play reasonably well on pretty much any reasonable mouthpiece. Moving from a 3C to a 7C. to a 5C to a 14A4A, to a 1C will not cause my tone to get airy, or spit to go through my lips making my tone all gurgled, etc. I can play from Triple Pedal C to well above High C on any of those mouthpieces.

With proper practice and development, you'll be able to do the same.

If the 7C feels comfortable on your face (meaning if the rim doesn't hurt your lips), then stay with it for now. If the rim feels a bit too narrow, and you feel any type of cutting pain after playing a while, then get yourself a Bach 3C (the 3C has a slightly wider, more comfortable rim with a less sharp inner edge). Whichever you decide, stay with that one and only that one mouthpiece while you are a developing player (meaning until you've been practicing several hours a day, everyday, for about 10 years).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do I sound my worst? When switching mpcs around to "find" a sound or feel I like during a practice session.

When do I sound my best? When I stick with ONE piece from the beginning of a session to the end. When do I make the most progress? When playing one piece for a week with no switching, and this coming from a habitual mpc and horn collector. I'm not alone. There are no secrets, but consistency in practice is highly underrated by SO many players. There's a great chapter in Don Jacoby's "Jake's Method" book that I dig, and I paraphrase: if it's got a hole in one end and one in the other, play that one. This may solve your problem.

Yes, yes, sometimes it's necessary, let's say brass quintet going from Bb to C and picc, or a big band to flugelhorn, or for a particular kind of solo, but the base of operation should be one type of piece, imo. That's what works best for me and most of the better players I run into.

ed
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that a Schilke mouthpiece will probably sound best in your Schilke trumpet. And a move to a bigger mouthpiece will probably help as well. The 7C has been the standard for beginner's since forever it seems, but most of those beginner's were 10 years old at the time of their beginning. As an adult, a 3C size mouthpiece is about as middle of the road as you can get. Schilke now makes a 13, which is roughly the equivalent of the 3C. If you want to save a few bucks, and don't care whether the mouthpiece is a Schilke, try the Yamaha Shew Jazz. It uses a Bach-style blank and is also very similar to the Bach 3C in dimension. There are usually a few for sale here in the marketplace in the $20-25 range. Good Luck!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
You're best off practicing the correct material, correctly, for a long, long time. All your problems stem from lack of development, not a mouthpiece. ...
If the 7C feels comfortable on your face (meaning if the rim doesn't hurt your lips), then stay with it for now. If the rim feels a bit too narrow, and you feel any type of cutting pain after playing a while, then get yourself a Bach 3C (the 3C has a slightly wider, more comfortable rim with a less sharp inner edge). Whichever you decide, stay with that one and only that one mouthpiece while you are a developing player (meaning until you've been practicing several hours a day, everyday, for about 10 years).

Listen to John, he is right on the mark. Let me add the advice to do yourself a favor and GET A TEACHER. You are in the Seattle area and there are plenty of qualified pros. You'll save years of trial and error.
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
If the 7C feels comfortable on your face (meaning if the rim doesn't hurt your lips), then stay with it for now. If the rim feels a bit too narrow, and you feel any type of cutting pain after playing a while, then get yourself a Bach 3C (the 3C has a slightly wider, more comfortable rim with a less sharp inner edge).

+1

Find a mouthpiece with which you are comfortable - 7c or other -, a mouthpiece easy to play for you, and practice with it during a good while: years, I would say.

When you will have a good embouchure, then you'll be ready to look for another mouthpiece - at least if really you believe it may be useful!

John Mohan wrote:
Whichever you decide, stay with that one and only that one mouthpiece while you are a developing player (meaning until you've been practicing several hours a day, everyday, for about 10 years).

Ten years?
I personally would say much less, but it's possible as well to play on the same mpc all his life: if it works well, there's no need to change!

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would agree that a Schilke mouthpiece will probably sound best in your Schilke trumpet.

What I was getting at is it would fit properly. Schilke trumpets are designed with their mouthpieces to butt up against the leadpipe without gap.

Quote:
The 7C has been the standard for beginner's since forever it seems, but most of those beginner's were 10 years old at the time of their beginning. As an adult, a 3C size mouthpiece is about as middle of the road as you can get.

7C and 3C are almost the same diameter. Many adult professionals use 7C or something in that size. I do agree with the idea that small children need a smaller diameter mouthpiece, and have started some beginners on 9C or 10-1/2C. The important thing is to have solid tone production mechanics before exploring mouthpiece options.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Kelly 7C. No kidding!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: