• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

S&G, Keep the Customer Satisfied

View previous topic :: View next topic  
largo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: S&G, Keep the Customer Satisfied Reply with quote

This Simon & Garfunkel tune was recorded circa 1970. I've always wondered who plays trumpet on this cut. I've found a reference to Maynard being present at the session, which totally makes sense. Just wondering if anybody knows who the other trumpet players might be. Thanks
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without a specific song or album name the most I can give you is: SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM! OOOOHHHH YEAH
largo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Album is Bridge Over Troubled Water, track is Keep the Customer Satisfied. and the release date is circa 1970. Thanks.
Chris76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I came across this post and would like to give some information.

The trumpet player in Keep the Customer Satisfied was Norman Rogers, my step father. He played with Maynard Fergusen, so it is very possible that Maynard was present during that recording. The story Norm told me is that he was upstairs in a different studio working with Aretha Franklin when Simon & Garfunkel's trumpet player became sick and couldn't play ... they came upstairs to Arethra's studio looking for a trumpet player ... Norman volunteered and went to the other studio. Declining to practice the tune first, he nailed it on the first take.

After working with many musical greats, Norm carried on in the recording industry. For many years he had a recording studio in Las Vegas, but most recently designed and built NKR Studio in Branson, MO.

Norman passed away this past February. The family laid his ashes to rest just this past weekend in his home town in Maine. He leaves behind a long a joyous musical legacy and he is very missed.
rickster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: S & g Reply with quote

Seems to me there are about 5 trumpets on that particular track--- and since when would Simon and Garfunkle have had their "Own" trumpet player--- There concerts would not have called for trumpets, they simply would have used studio players in NYC who were around. I would be interested in who did the actual brass chart for that tune , and who played lead trumpet on the date. It is a screaming track, no doubt.
yellowz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: New info from the horses mouth-Keep The Customer Satisfied Reply with quote

Bridge Over Trouble Water Album - Keep The Customer Satisfied - Simon and Garfunkel - Release date January 26th, 1970.

I think this clip explains it all. Playing two concerts with Doc Severinsen in April of 1970, the topic of who were the trumpets playing on this album, which was the hot album at the time. The album had just been released in Jan 1970. He just matter of fact said "Oh, it was the Tonight Show trumpet section". After years of looking I found this proof. The interview was by Roy Halee the producer. Just thought some of you might be interested. BTW there is a big band chart of the song if your band is up to trying it.
Thanks

https://simonandgarfunkel.com/video/track-track-keep-customer-satisfied/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: