• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

which horn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allan89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: which horn? Reply with quote

http://www.thomann.de/gb/bs_3172_2lr_s_bb_trompete_bstoc.htm
or
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bs_3143_challenger_ii_bb_trpt.htm

Both have the same price, but which one is better for jazz combo playing.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the 72 bell... because I like darker horns for that stuff, but that's just me.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&S 3172/2LR-S BB-TROMPETE With proper MP selection you can make it do anything the 37 bell will do and more! You will never miss a 37 bell once you play a 72 bell.

I did notice that the 72 bell appears to be B stock which means it has some cosmetic flaw like a scratch or small dent etc???? Is it me or did I read it wrong? The 37 belled Challenger II appeared not to be B Stock which means it is 100% as new no imperfections?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
B&S 3172/2LR-S BB-TROMPETE With proper MP selection you can make it do anything the 37 bell will do and more! You will never miss a 37 bell once you play a 72 bell.

I did notice that the 72 bell appears to be B stock which means it has some cosmetic flaw like a scratch or small dent etc???? Is it me or did I read it wrong? The 37 belled Challenger II appeared not to be B Stock which means it is 100% as new no imperfections?

Neither of them are 37 bells.

One is a 43 bell and the other a 72.

Of course, you'd know that if you actually looked at the links.

The 72 has a wider, rounder sound and the 43 a wide but more vibrant (perhaps brighter) sound. I've liked the 72 bells on paper, but when I've played 37, 43, and 72 bells in person, I often prefer the 43's playability. I'll admit that I haven't played a ton of examples of either the 43 or 72 - and also it's possible they weren't identical in the other options, either - which may have made a difference.

Also, they were Bach horns, not B&S. You can copy a horn all you like, but they'll still be different even if you model it on pretty closely. The B&S horns I've played play differently a bit than the Bachs. Sometimes I've like the Bachs, sometimes the B&S. They're not exactly the same.

Honestly, they're different animals. You'd actually have to play them to see how you feel. Specifications and descriptions by the company or TH folks is one thing, but the only thing that matters is how they play for you.

They're both B&S horns, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a few in your area.

Theoretically, I think the 72 is often considered more of a jazz-combo horn and the 43 more of a jazz-band/jazz-lead/jazz-section horn. Really, none of that makes a difference, though, because it's all words and not sounds.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: