• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2nd line G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Monette B4 Reply with quote

Any thoughts, opinions on this mpc? I'm looking for something with a real dark tone but still able to use in a classical setting? Thanks!
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B4 Reply with quote

2nd line G wrote:
Any thoughts, opinions on this mpc? I'm looking for something with a real dark tone but still able to use in a classical setting? Thanks!

Find yourself an older B4S. I have been playing that for years and still like it the best for classical applications.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B4 Reply with quote

B4 S3, B2 S3, B2 S5.

2nd line G wrote:
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B4 S3 is a versatile mouthpiece. If that's the right rim size for you I don't see what it wouldn't work for what you want. I'd suggest calling Monette first for a phone consultation as they are expensive mouthpieces and you really want to get it right the first time....

I tried it and a B4S S2 before going with a B2 rim. Regarding the B4S, Monette advertises it as being brighter than the B4.

Also, you might want to consider the Silver Series 4 mouthpiece.

Good luck!
aeterpllison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B4S and B4S3 are both improvements over the B4. I use a B4S all the time now. It is a balanced mp that sounds great for everything, but it is definitely on the "bright" side of the spectrum. If you want a "dark" sound the B4S3 is for you. It is very comfortable and sounds great.

My opinion is that you will sound pretty much the same on any equipment you choose, because your body will do what it has to do to produce the sound that is in your head. Pick what is the most comfortable and easy to play for you.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing on the Kanstul M-B4 for a year or so. Last summer, a thread either here or on the other site discussed the ethics of buying a cheap copy of something someone else put time, effort, and money into developing. I felt sufficiently guilty that I got a Monette B4S3.

Although it felt slightly smaller than the Kanstul version, and had a sharper bite, I liked it and played it for a while. However, I couldn't use it for the C because it knocked the intonation even more whacky than usual. So, for Christmas I got a Monette C4S3.

The C4S3 improved the intonation of the C quite a bit, but I HATED the sound. Like broken glass. I've gone back to the Kanstul for all my legit playing. I'm going to sell the Monettes.

As for the silver Monette 4, I have two of them. The first one was an early model with a star stamped next to the 4. The second is a later model. Contrary to what Monette might say, they are not the same. I like the earlier one and dislike the later one.

I would like to try the B4S, but the Kanstul comparitor makes the rim look like that of a B4LD, whose rim I just don't like. If someone has some experience with both of these mouthpiece, are the rims the same or different?

-John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
sam1750

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look for a dark tone I think the B4 is a good place, I have not played in the B4S3 but maybe you have good results, the B4S is a little All around compared to the B4 whose sound I would compare it with the Bach 1- 1 / 2B (I speak of it is more obsolete than the 1-1 / 2C) before playing in a B2S3 but the kidney is different, I find more comfortable the kidney of the B4S.
nzhangtrpt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried on all of non-prana and prana b2s3, b3s3, and b4s3. The 2 rim is their largest, closer to a bach 1. Their 3 rim is about a bach 1.5, yet the 4 rim is larger than a bach 1.5, more like a 1.25 to my knowledge. The trumpet shop manager told me that all customers who tried on non- and prana models loved the prana over non-. The STC weight has the greatest core to the sound that no other brands mouthpieces could possibly match, but the price of a prana is much higher though. Weight as LT and XLT doesn't have as much core, but they mean to let your higher register sings. I bought both B3S3 and C3S3 and I am very happy with the purchase. If price is not the issue, go for it - it is possibly the best mouthpiece you can get today.

Nick
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played an XLT B4S S2 for years now and I love it. It's super versatile and works great for everything I play except brass ensemble. I picked it specifically because it seemed like a better version of a Bach 1.5 or 1.25, I can't really tell the difference. I played the STC version once and liked it even better. The STCs seem more stable with a fuller core. I didn't notice the extra weight getting in the way of the response.

There are tons of people on either side of the fence here and Monettes are expensive. It's best to contact them and chat about your playing before you dive in. You can also find them used online from reputable retailers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: