• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curing Your "tired" Lips

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll note that I didn't say it always happens, or everyone does it. I said it happens all too often.

I'm not of the opinion that we are actually disagreeing here, you may feel differently.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Curing your "tired" lips Reply with quote

Randy,

You know what you meant . . if you say we don't disagree, that's fine with me.

What I was trying to say is that I think there would be better discussions here if folks did more clarifying and asking of intelligent questions rather than just assuming that a "here's what I do" post is going to be appropriate.

I think there are some very good answers to be had here to intelligent questions that give enough information. Sometimes people don't know what to tell and need help giving all the pertinent info.

I guess a lot of us, me included, tend to talk too much and listen too little.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
trumpet776

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to take a day off once a week. Has really helped me to not only physically recover, but have a nice mental break as well.
Tnrtpt

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpencerW wrote:
Having just gone back to the drawing board on high register, I know what you're talking about. The biggest thing is pressure. Using too much pressure on your lips will kill your lips and range. I've taken steps on limiting the pressure I use by playing drills at a PP level, and holding the trumpet with my left hand functioning as a sort of hook. My right hand only touches the valves. I do this for practice, not performance since I like the stability of holding the trumpet a little tighter, but I still don't try and jam back.

Rest is also important. Resting as much as you play is really important.

Hope this helps!

From what I've been taught, it doesn't matte what range you're in only the volume you're playing when it comes to how much pressure you use. Practice lip slurs fast ether than slow and practice at ppp and lower while keeping good tone
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working through an Irons/Arbans routine to work on my classical playing (playing up to 3 times a day for no more than an hour at a time). Splitting up your playing into at LEAST 2 sessions in a day is important. This is in ADDITION to a 15 minute or LESS warm-up in the morning, where you should do quiet mouthpiece work and some long tones on the horn (no playing above about an E in the staff on the warm-up). For YEARS I had one practice session a day, and I'd end up playing a marathon session more than 2 hours long, resting when I needed ...and I hit a plateau in terms of range and endurance...one I've just recently began to overcome.

Another thing that's REALLY helped me (and I know some may have qualms with this, this is an OPINION, it's just worked wonders for ME) is not being afraid to let the chops completely rest after many days of consistant playing (I say take one COMPLETE day off after 7 days of focused practice). Taking a day COMPLETELY off the horn can let the lips fully recover from any possible damage they couldn't recover from with consistant playing. Usually, my lips feel astounding the next day, and I have to be careful not to overdo it!!! Just don't get complacent, going without playing for more than 2-3 days is a recipe for fast lip weakening. The lip muscles are small, they weaken quickly.

Hope this helps!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: