• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sub-tone G Recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Sub-tone G Recording Reply with quote

Okay, I've worked out a way to record the sub-tone G required by the Cat Anderson method. It's no Grammy winner but you can hear the air stream, then the G gradually start/sustain/fade away with the air stream still going. You can hear the air stream stop, hear me take breath through the nose and hear the air stream start and the G repeating the whole sequence again.

This is done on a little usb desk mike plugged into my computer and recorded on the limited Windows Sound Recorder. I don't have any input gain control (that I know of) except for aiming my horn at the mike during the air phase and gradually aiming off mike as the sound builds, so the note becomes distorted, but you can still get a pretty good idea of the effect. It saves on my computer as a .wma file.

But, I don't know how to post a .wma file on Trumpet Herald.

Tommy T.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you need to upload to some other hosting site, and put a link to it here with the url tags, or you might upload it to youtube and use the youtube tagging feature here instead if they accept wma files.
PAB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also save the wma file in Audacity (a free downloadable program) and export it as as an mp3, wav, or other file type. Not sure if that would help to post it here though.

Ben
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Trent posts his clips using a service at http://www.tindeck.com.

From their website: "Tindeck is a free MP3 hosting service that allows you to upload your original music and audio and share it with people around the world. To get started, register a free account, or log in."

Maybe check that out as a hosting site, if youTube will not work.

-- Joe
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAB wrote:
You could also save the wma file in Audacity (a free downloadable program) and export it as as an mp3, wav, or other file type. Not sure if that would help to post it here though.

I think I need a host with a URL link to a web site that plays the file. I don't have access to any such site and I looked at registering for YOUTUBE but that seems to be videos only.

I suppose I could make a video with my built-in web cam -- that ought be of a quality consistent with what I'm getting with the plug-in mike.

You know, I listen to jazz on a component stereo system that plays 45's.

Tommy T.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
I've noticed that Trent posts his clips using a service at http://www.tindeck.com.
-- Joe

Thanks. If it makes me sound like Trent, I'll be really happy.

I'll check it out right now and see if I can have something up tomorrow.

Tommy T.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I registered with Tindeck only to find that it only accepts mp3 files. I downloaded and tried three WMA converters before finding one that would work with Windows 7. (Audacity reports that it is not licensed to convert WMA although a licensed add on is available -- downloaded that but it is not available in a Windows 7 version.) I made the conversion and put it on Tindeck. The free version of Tindeck doesn't give me any audio controls and their program appareantly tried to create music from my noise.

The result of the upload on Tindeck is something really bizarre and nothing like a sub-tone G. More like a subway train entering a station. If you want to hear it there, it is available under my "Tommy T." but don't waste time registering jsut to hear it if you are not already a member.

Come visit me in rural East Texas and I'll play it for you. I play it 20 minutes every day anyway and sometimes I get lonesome out here.

Tommy T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: