• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

reeves sleeve for bach trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: reeves sleeve for bach trumpet Reply with quote

the smallest i have now is a 6. what extra sleeves are needed to try with a bach, 5.5, 5, 4.5? i seem to remember someone recommending the 4.5 for this horn.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: reeves sleeve for bach trumpet Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
the smallest i have now is a 6. what extra sleeves are needed to try with a bach, 5.5, 5, 4.5? i seem to remember someone recommending the 4.5 for this horn.

After a long time understanding how to use sleeves I've come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong answer, and no "correct" gap, or specifically designed optimum gap for a particular horn or manufacturer.

Sleeves like mouthpiece choice are always a give and take. Maybe get better intonation with one sleeve, but articulation is better with another. Always a compromise.

For me a 4.5 is my money sleeve on a my Benge, but I know guys that use a 3 and others that use a 6, so there is no right answer I suppose.

Fortunately sleeves aren't super expensive, and often I see used ones. But now I've seen Reeves is making 1/2 or 1/4 sizes?? Too much for me to even think about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: