• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Laskey 70C vs. 70MD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Laskey 70C vs. 70MD Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with these two mouthpieces? Which do you like better and why?

Thanks!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
mikeman7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

first let me say that this is in no way a reflection on the quality of the pieces. i think Laskey pieces are good quality, especially for the price. i do wish the shanks were made a few thousandths of an inch bigger. mine is a little loose in my horn and my horn is NOT old and the receiver is not worn out.

anyway, i don't know the 70C, but i've played a 70MD for close to a year now. unfortunately i don't care for it. it has quite a dark sound which is neither good or bad, it just depends on what you need. however i find the sound quite small and lacking some personality. standard Laskeys use a 27 throat and i just can't play a 27. it's too much resistance. maybe if the piece were more open and with a bigger back bore it would be nice....? i prefer a dark sound which it has, but it's just too stuffy and small. BUT just remember that's with me playing it on MY horn! everyone is different!

i will add that i'm currently experimenting with a Curry 3BC and so far i love it! it is also quite dark, but with a bigger throat and back bore it has a more open and interesting sound. and it fits me better as a player. i like to be able to move more air. Mark makes great mpcs too!!

my two cents. good luck.

Yamaha YTR-6335
Warburton 5D
Yamaha Custom Tenor Sax YTS-875
SR Technologies Legend Mpc (metal)
E7

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and play on both. Coming from a 16C4, I was originally going to purchase the 75 series as his comparison lists it as the equivalent, but when I emailed Scott Laskey himself, he said his 70 rim functions more like the 16C4.
With that said, the 70MD has a great amount of chop room and provides a full and robust sound. I use the MD as my main mouthpiece, and the 70C when I need more "ring" to my sound and/or if I will be playing in the upper register for an extended period of time. It took about a month for me to adjust to the MD coming from a 16C4, as my ear wasn't used to the richer sound. Once I acclimated, my professors and private instructor all noticed an improvement in my sound and overall playing.
Now, this may be that I use the MD far more frequently than the C, but there are times when I am playing the 70C where I wish there was just a hair more inner-diameter chop room, especially if I haven't used it in a while. What I'm trying to say is, if you are coming from a 16C4, the 70C may feel smaller than what you're used to.
Lastly, the 70 rim is hands down the most comfortable rim I have ever played on. And I have played on literally over 20 mouthpieces (not just play-tested, but played on extensively).
Would love to hear your thoughts on the Laskey pieces if you ended up trying them!
E7

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and play on both. Coming from a 16C4, I was originally going to purchase the 75 series as his comparison lists it as the equivalent, but when I emailed Scott Laskey himself, he said his 70 rim functions more like the 16C4.
With that said, the 70MD has a great amount of chop room and provides a full and robust sound. I use the MD as my main mouthpiece, and the 70C when I need more "ring" to my sound and/or if I will be playing in the upper register for an extended period of time. It took about a month for me to adjust to the MD coming from a 16C4, as my ear wasn't used to the richer sound. Once I acclimated, my professors and private instructor all noticed an improvement in my sound and overall playing.
Now, this may be that I use the MD far more frequently than the C, but there are times when I am playing the 70C where I wish there was just a hair more inner-diameter chop room, especially if I haven't used it in a while. What I'm trying to say is, if you are coming from a 16C4, the 70C may feel smaller than what you're used to.
Lastly, the 70 rim is hands down the most comfortable rim I have ever played on. And I have played on literally over 20 mouthpieces (not just play-tested, but played on extensively).
Would love to hear your thoughts on the Laskey pieces if you ended up trying them!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's the contour, but I always found the Laskey 70, 75, 80, and 84 to feel smaller (to me) than the indicated equivalence.
Most would say (as does Laskey's chart):

68 = 1.5
70 = 1.5
75 = 1.25
80 = 1C
81=1X
84 = "larger" 1C

I have found (this is how they feel on *my* face, and your experience will likely vary):
68 = 1.5
70 = 3
75 = "larger" 3
80 = 1.25
81 = 1X
84 = 1C

I've never tried anything "smaller" in his line. I will say a friend who is normally a "3" player tried a 75MD I had recently and also said it felt
more like a largish "3" to him.

I have wanted to like his pieces, but I've tried several diameters, and several cups, and several throat and backbore combinations, and *I* sound like crap on all of them.

My favorite of his cups, was the "B" however. The "C" was brittle to me, and the D was a 5-gallon bucket, the "MD" was just dead. I also had a very airy tone on all of his pieces. Others sound amazing on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: