• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just tried out brand new trumpets here in town!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Just tried out brand new trumpets here in town!! Reply with quote

I was at Music & Arts here in Richmond, VA a few hours ago, and gave the sales clerk my phone (who I also know from playing in community bands & The Shriners own band), and we made this video of my surprise by stepping up into new horns after 50 years. Comparing a 1967 Holton Collegiate, school band trumpet, up into today's intermediate and professional trumpets.

Mouthpiece = Curry 3M. used in the entire video on all trumpets.
Me personally = I still have some residual chest congestion after coming off the Flu a few weeks ago.

Aside from the various Verizon smartphone video clips, linked together using my Windows laptop once I got home, I seemed to bond with both the Jupiter 1100 and the Yamaha Xeno. I was a little intimidated by the Bach Stradivarius due to the price, the name, and the professional, top of the line, marketing brand. Mentally, I was thinking it was way out of my league.

Here's a sample price listing:
Jupiter 1100s intermediate trumpet = $1298 (+/-)
Giardinelli GTR10s intermediate trumpet = $1444 (on sale, right now)
Yamaha Xeno YTR-8335 pro trumpet = $2490 (+/-)
Bach Stradivarius 180S37 pro trumpet = $2899 (+/-)

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Link

trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advise you to go with a used carol brass, or stomvi, or conn. The list prices for new trumpets are ridiculous, and you can find better playing vintage horns used.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried out brand new trumpets here in town!! Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:
I was at Music & Arts here in Richmond, VA a few hours ago, and gave the sales clerk my phone (who I also know from playing in community bands & The Shriners own band), and we made this video of my surprise by stepping up into new horns after 50 years. Comparing a 1967 Holton Collegiate, school band trumpet, up into today's intermediate and professional trumpets.

Me personally = I still have some residual chest congestion after coming off the Flu a few weeks ago.

Aside from the various Verizon smartphone video clips, linked together using my Windows laptop once I got home, I seemed to bond with both the Jupiter 1100 and the Yamaha Xeno. I was a little intimidated by the Bach Stradivarius due to the price, the name, and the professional, top of the line, marketing brand. Mentally, I was thinking it was way out of my league.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thank you for sharing!
USCGRick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d take a look at some used Getzens as well. The 900 can’t be beat and is reasonable in price. When I looked at new horns I felt the new Yamaha’s, Bachs etc really lacked the personality that older horns have. I went custom as for a little more money I got what I wanted. I didn’t want an off the shelf horn for that kind of money. Don’t get me wrong. They are good horns but too me they’re all about the same. A few differences yes.
Anyway of all the horns I’ve owned and played Getzen was always outstanding. Good value and super well built.
My $0.02

Harrelson Bb VPS Summit One
Harrelson C VPS Summit
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Intermediate" trumpets are just fancied up "student" trumpets. You should reward yourself with a professional level instrument. I strongly encourage you to look at used trumpets. You can find used professional level trumpets in virtually "like new" condition for half of what a new one would cost. The choices are endless.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....

The Bach Stradivarius was way louder and effortless playing. I couldn't believe it... The Yamaha Xeno was also amazing too. Absolutely effortless playing. Just, straight up, Ba da da da da da... all the way to the high "C" above the staff without any concern or embouchure adjustment. Everything all on one single breath of air. I was blown away by both the Bach and the Yamaha!

Edit: The quality (video & sound) from my smartphone left a lot to be desired. You had to be in the room with me and the sales clerk. But to him, he said I sounded the best on the Yamaha Xeno.

Edit (again)... As most of you know, I am a "comeback player" and by no means a seasoned pro, or a 1st chair principal trumpeter, or in demand session player. I just enjoy playing and trying to improve my skills by playing in community bands and The Shriners "Million Dollar Band" here in town.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man! We had a trumpet hang here in Cincinnati last year and that was awesome to get to try so many nice horns, and lots of trumpets around town to try.

Wish there were more cornets to try out but it just ain’t so

If I were to buy another trumpet I’m 100% sure it would be a Strad
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "trumpet hang"? That would be a blast to attend! Imagine meeting dozens and dozens of fellow trumpeters!
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:
A "trumpet hang"? That would be a blast to attend! Imagine meeting dozens and dozens of fellow trumpeters!

Hey Butch. I just sent you a private message, please check it.
2many5s

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried out brand new trumpets here in town!! Reply with quote

[quote="ButchA"]I was at Music & Arts here in Richmond, VA a few hours ago, and gave the sales clerk my phone (who I also know from playing in community bands & The Shriners own band), and we made this video of my surprise by stepping up into new horns after 50 years. Comparing a 1967 Holton Collegiate, school band trumpet, up into today's intermediate and professional trumpets.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Your positive attitude will show through any horn, thanks for the grin today!
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL...it is always fun to try out new trumpets.
Of the four trumpets that you try it out,
I think you sounded the best on the Bach.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my computers tiny speakers, I really can't tell much of a difference among the horns auditioned. But based on your response from being "in the room", it did seem like you liked the Yamaha and Bach sound/response better than the others. That being said, perhaps you could get a better price if you look on the trumpetherald marketplace. You would be dealing with other trumpet players for the most part, and likely would ultimately be more satisfied with your purchase.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter sounded best to me - sparkling aura to the sound.

Of course, how they play/respond for you should be the winner, regardless of a student, intermediate or pro horn. If it works for you, disregard what 'level' the horn's s'possed to be.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, don't overlook Craigslist. Granted, the vast majority are either Yamaha 2320s or other student-level horns at inflated prices, but every once in a while there's a sleeper. I've seen Strads advertised for $1100-$1300 if that's your thing.

I took advantage of two Music and Arts coupons when I picked up my Eterna. I think one was a 20% off anything over $1500 and then a 20% off for Black Friday, and I walked out with a brand new Eterna for $1300. Never hurts to keep your eye out for those kind of incentives.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone...

For me, I've only owned my '67 Holton Collegiate and no other trumpet for 50 years! When I wanted to try out a few newer trumpets, I had no idea what to do, what to play, how to test them, etc... But at least I used my favorite mouthpiece.

I need to go back and take a 2nd look again and check them out again. I was overwhelmed and a little intimidated by the Bach Strad, but I just loved the sound from it.

The other thing is, I am just... ME... I'm not 1st chair, I'll never be a principal trumpeter in a symphony orchestra, and I'm certainly not a professional session player. I'm more or less a basic multi-instrumentalist, who's primary instrument happens to be trumpet. Perhaps or in other words, I'm sort of a "jack of all trades - master of none" type of player.

I will probably overhaul my childhood '67 Holton Collegiate with new springs, new felt, etc... after 50 years and see if that helps any. I will never get rid of it, but I still want to get something more modern without breaking the bank. I don't see myself playing way up in the heavens like James Morrison or Arturo Sandoval, but just basic, community band type of music, and old classic standards...
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I like your plan to give your old Holton a bit of a tune up. I recommend, however, taking it into a good shop that does these kinds of services. Dillons, for example, could make sure that the all the inner tubing is cleaned out, the slides adjusted as needed, any dents rolled out, new felts corks springs, etc. I bet your old holton beauty would have a few found sparkle to its sound and response. Depends on whether you have a suitable shop nearby or are willing to pay the shipping (which ain't cheap these days). Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: