• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Parduba double cup mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nate4841

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Parduba Reply with quote

Tried a 4, 5HJ, and a 5 1/2. Cup was ok. Rim is too wide for me and throat is pretty small. I find it closes up in the upper register.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Parduba Reply with quote

nate4841 wrote:
Tried a 4, 5HJ, and a 5 1/2. Cup was ok. Rim is too wide for me and throat is pretty small. I find it closes up in the upper register.

My experience is, the tighter the horn, the better the Parduba plays, depending on the era. I think that they changed over the years as well, but I wasn't able to measure and compare specs with the ones I had because they were different sizes as well as different eras.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
ShawnMAnderson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Original Harry James *5* Parduba Double-Cup Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell is an excellent confirming resident expert on this topic and (sidebar) makes exceptional horns. I've owned perhaps ten he's built and/or designed - still have most of them. Anyway...

Tony played with Harry for ages - has lots of great stories that will be lost the day he plays his last note. I'm pretty sure Tony said he still has the one Harry gave him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's commented elsewhere on this topic.

I showed him my Original Harry James *5* Parduba Double-Cup with all of its crude stamps and faded 24k plated. He said it looked like the early versions. It looks like whoever stamped each of the individual letters must have been sharing some of the hidden treasures from Harry's secret stash in his custom case compartment! Hiccup!

From what I've observed, the VERY first original were crudely stamped by hand with option 24k platting. So much so mine is almost unreadable in certain parts, like the patent number with metal mushrooming out/around each character.

The stamping method improved - a little - later on and appears they had the aid of a machine that helped them be less offset - or stamped groups of characters at a time vs. individual ones as at the very first. Still some off alignment in the old, but later earlier versions. However, the stamping was cleaner with less of the mushrooming effect around each character. Different material? or stamping less hard? Regardless, there was less mess with less depth than in first versions. Somehow cleaned and standarized the procedure.

They increasingly improved in alignment until we eventually see the clean and well-aligned stamping in current models.
5 x C Strad's 229/239/236G/ C Spada
1 x Kanstul 1600S
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All. Does Mr. Scodwell post on this forum? I'd like to ask him a question regarding Parduba mouthpieces. Thanks & a Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Hello All. Does Mr. Scodwell post on this forum?.

Yes! His userid on this forum is Tony Scodwell. You can send him a private message. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply.

You're quite welcome.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: