• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy bottom caps for Selmer Radial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Heavy bottom caps for Selmer Radial Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone makes heavy caps for these horns. As most of you know, the Selmer caps are male threads and I've never seen anything other than female threads for the heavy caps. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Michael
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's not going to work very well, as the 1st & 3rd valves angle in towards the 2nd. Have a look and you can see how limited you will be in the extra length that is possible, and then check the free space inside the valve casing: not a lot of space. There is only a few mm if that wiggle room. Therefore, your heavy valve cap isn't going to be all that heavy.

cheers

Andy
MrJackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osmun Music used to carry them - they'll fit on both Radials and K-Modifieds if my memory serves me right. However, you can only use bottom caps on the 1st and 3rd valves on the Radials due to the angle - the middle cap would get in their way. However, they're no longer advertised on Osmun's website; Jim Becker frequents here so you may want to ask him or call the shop directly. Everything I've heard about Osmun is top-notch, so I would bet if they could find a way to make/get them for you, they will.
Schilke P5-4 B/G
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I knew that there would be no hope in using all three. I've got a Radial C and Bb. I would like to try one on at least the third valve, though. I'll give Becker a shout to inquire.

Again, Thanks
Accent Picc by B & S
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I knew that there would be no hope in using all three. I've got a Radial C and Bb. I would like to try one on at least the third valve, though. I'll give Becker a shout to inquire.

Again, Thanks
Accent Picc by B & S
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be that hard to clearance one side so that a heavier then stock cap could also be run in the center. No it would not match 1st and 3rd but honestly most horns see the biggest impact on 1st and 3rd valves. Those are the points where energy is entering the valve assembly and leaving the valve assembly.

Keep in mind that length is not a limiting factor for the 1st and 3rd valve assemblies except for storage in the case. Also materials denser then regular brass could make for a much shorter high mass valve caps. Plus those materials one might add to brass to make it denser also improve machine-ability. For instance brass mixed with lead would be a lot denser and it would machine easily and nicely.

Small caps could be made from tungsten carbide that would have insane density and mass in a small package but yo would need some serious tooling to cut it and thread it. If you used the rite alloy a cap about the size of a stock cap could easily have 2-3 times as much wieght and stall look stock after it was polished and plated.

Another idea would be to thread the vent hole inthe stock caps and come up with tungsten carbide screw in weights for the stock caps. You would need a small drill hole in the center to provide venting. So their are many ways to skin this cat......

I would love to try making caps and receiver's out of depleted uranium but I am never going to do it because common sense tell you that it is not a good idea but I would love to try it just to try it... The density of Depleted Uranium is off the chart.

Seriously though I think copper and lead alloy would make for a great leadpipe, receiver and top and bottom cap material. Someone should test's Stomvi's Flex Brass and see if it has traces of lead????LOL Terrible for sheet brass but for cast and machined parts it would be the cat's meow!
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry does..
http://currympc.chrismageemusic.com/ccaps.html

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: