• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marching Beater Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Marching Beater Trumpet Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trumpetgopher wrote:
I'm actually a junior in a college band, but I've never bought a seperate "worse" trumpet to use on the field. Sadly enough, I've used my Bach Strad and I've paid for it a couple of times, both figuratively and literally (to get it fixed).

I just wanted to get a few suggestions on a GOOD, cheaper horn to use for marching band.

MF Horn (an ST-302 or maybe an ST-307).

These horns project great, have easier upper registers, and unlike the CG Benge or CG Selmer which also would make a good marching band horn, the MF Horns are pretty sturdy with thicker metal than the CG horns.

I remember in one of the old Holton ads, Maynard talked about his trumpet (in the case) falling down an escalator at an airport, without receiving any damage. Okay, not exactly an endorsement of the playing and sound qualities of a trumpet, but I think it goes to show how good the horn would be on the marching field!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

P.S. For Grins & Gibbles, here's a picture of me in High School with my MF Horn:

john, love the news clipping ... like that MF horn JetTone combo! + you even hold the horn like the Boss!!!!

I think the Olds is a good idea but would think there are a billion used Yamaha intermediate and pro horns out there that would be nice players too. I didn't want to mess up my nice horn either, so going into my sophomore year in high school I picked up a YTR-6xx (634?) and it actually played very similarly to my Getzen Eterna as far as ease of playing, projection, range, etc. I used it for the next 7 years and sold it after my last game as a college senior to a freshman looking for a 'beater' to save their decent horn from the potential terrors of marching band. The Yamaguchi really was not a beater and never got damaged during my 'marching band career' (had to march to keep getting scholarship, ya know) so it was really a winner.... just like Charlie. By the way, purchased for $300 in 1976 and sold for $300 in 1984! Maybe you can find my old axe ... gotta be out there somewhere...

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: