• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A new addition to my gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ubungstickle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: A new addition to my gear Reply with quote

Guys, the time has come: I am thinking about adding a weapon to my arsenal and buying a piccolo trumpet.

So I have no idea whatsoever how to play this thing. I played it a couple of times, that's it. So the pressing question for me is should I buy something really pricy that will last as long as I will, and looking like a fool brandishing a horn I don't know how to play or should I start out with a used horn or something then buy one later? What do you guys think?
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: A new addition to my gear Reply with quote

You must look into your heart of hearts and see why you desire this thing and then into your pocketbook and see whether you can afford this thing and into your future and see where and whether you would actually use this thing . . .

I'm sure everybody will have a favorite. There are some cheap Chinese pics that are getting decent reviews. Dillon is selling a 3+1 with a rotary on the 3rd valve that gets good reviews --- check the recent threads on it here. The 4 valve rotary they (and others) sell also is reviewed well. They are going about $500, maybe a little less from some reputable sellers. I know Dillons tweaks the ones they get, so does Trent Austin ([url]austincustombrass.com[/url]) and so does my buddy Bill Jones ([url]trumpetdesignstudio.com[/url]).

If you go to <http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Piccolo%20Trumpet%20Guide.html> there is a very good discussion of picc options and this will include good used piccs.

Then there are the new piccs and a Schilke P5-4 and a Stomvi Master are two that are often recommended at about $3300. Unless you are ready to get serious about the picc, I wouldn't spend that much unless you just have the cash to burn. Maybe you are a dentist who plays trumpet . . . .
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of gigs are you Playing?? Are you going to be playing weddings??
Piccs are great for picking up wedding gigs.. I can't tell you how many weddings I've played since I got my first picc.. Also I get called for Easter and Christmas gigs to play Hallelujah Chorus..

I see both your Bb and C are Yamahas so that might be a good place to start.. I own a Getzen Short bell Picc and a Stomvi Long Bell Picc.

2 things I would recommend.. 1) Get a 4 valve.. 2) Aftermarket picc pipes make a huge difference ( I love my Blackburn pipes)

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: