• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dating UMI Leonore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbird2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Dating UMI Leonore Reply with quote

I seemed to recall reading somewhere that if you ad 40 to some portion of the serial number you can come up with the build date.

It's a UMI (I won't call it Benge) Leonore with a serial number of 39-249255. So does that mean it was manufacured in 55+40='95?

Thanks in advance for your help.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That question is best referred to the dating websites.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dating UMI Leonore Reply with quote

lbird2 wrote:
I seemed to recall reading somewhere that if you ad 40 to some portion of the serial number you can come up with the build date.

It's a UMI (I won't call it Benge) Leonore with a serial number of 39-249255. So does that mean it was manufacured in 55+40='95?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You are on the right track. Add 50 to the serial number prefix (39) to determine the date of manufacture. Your Benge Leonore 90B was made in 1989. These were very fine instruments. The Benge trumpets and trombones were developed in the 1980s as a premiere brass line with the assistance of members of the Cleveland Orchestra. Chuck Ward designed the Leonore trumpet. It is a heavy instrument with a solid core to the sound. And yes, they are nothing like the lightweight X-series Benges, and they were never meant to be.

Last edited by plankowner110 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a guy who wanted to date UMA Thurman. Are they, like, cousins?

He couldn't find the website, either.

Brino

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
lbird2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: 50th Anniversary Edition? Reply with quote

Thanks Plank. Very helpful.

If you don't mind a follow-up...the case is particularly nice and contains a ribbon stating that it's a 50th year anniversary edition. Any info on that particular version?

Thanks again.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbird2,

There was no difference in the design of the instrument for the fiftieth anniversary model, just the nice ribbon inside the case lid. UMI did the same thing (case lid ribbon) for the 100th anniversary model King Golden Flair with sterling silver bell in 1993. The King Golden Flair of that UMI era was almost identical to the Benge Leonore 90B (and not to be confused with the King Golden Flair of the 1970s.)

Plankowner110
lbird2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm glad to learn that. Thanks again Plank.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90C Lenore is a great C Trumpet and was the best C trumpet to ever wear the name Benge even if it was made under UMI!!!! One of my all time favorite C trumpets. Why? Because it is easy to play compared to a Bach, it has better intonation then a Bach C trumpet and it responds fantastic to MP changes put a dime with a whole in it and it screams but a deep c or V cup in it and it is dark!!! Great projection, solid core, focused but not compact. So if ever you run across one in great shape and you need a C trumpet try to give one a test drive!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: