• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Identifying a Benge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Identifying a Benge Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have a co-worker who's husband has an Benge trumpet that he played for a few years back in school. They are looking to sell it and asked me to look around for some info on it.

The horn is an LA Benge with MLP stamped on the second valve casing. The bell says "Resno-Tempered Bell, Custom Built by E. Benge, LA Calif."

I've seen many of you guys referring to your Benges as being 3X, 3X+, 5X etc. but I can't find any marking of that sort on this horn. I've look at some pictures of other horns of this make and it looks like that identifier typically gets stamped on the bell, but it isn't anywhere on this one.

Can anyone take a stab at helping me out with a little more info about this horn and it's likely specs?

Thanks much,
Kevin

Bruno Walter
lanier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of websites that provide almost any fact about Benge trumpets that you would want. http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Benge.html is a gopd place to start. The MLP indicates a .464 bore that it is probably a 3X+ horn. You can confirm that by looking at the inside of the ferrule that connects the bell to the first valve. The bell number is stamped there --- or in later years the bell number is stamped on the bell flare but in this case you didn't mention it when you quoted the engraving. Some of the websites will allow you to date the horn by the serial number.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

There are really only two possibilities, unless it just happens to be a custom "Who Knew" sort of trumpet. Most likely it is a 3X+, but it is possible it is a 2X+.

MLP means it is a .464" bore horn. You can determine the bell by looking on the bottom of the little fitting (ferrule) that connects the bell to the first valve. It should have a number stamped on it; probably a "3". The "2" bell is much, much rarer.

Since this horn has no bell stamp (a simple "3", "2", or whatever) in the brand, it was manufactured before 1976. Since it says "Los Angeles" and not Burbank, It was made after 1969. The serial number located on the second valve casing should be between 10,000 and 20,000.

If it is lower than that, it is one of a very short run of horns (400 +/-) made when Donald Benge moved the "factory" to a place in the City of Los Angeles. Later, it was relocated to Fullerton, but was still referred to as Los Angeles.

There you go! If your friend is interested in more information, he can go online to Joe Lill's website and read more history. Joe has a registry, too. My recently sold 5X is in there, btw. It is the earliest known 5X with the model stamped on the bell brand.

Joe's site is: www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge/

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: